Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Experts,

I am Oracle Database Administrator with 6 years 2 month of experience.
I have BSc hons in Computing.
My occupation comes in SOL, and can apply for State Sponsorship only. I have appeared in IELTS exam and managed to get 6 band in each section (L-7, S-6.5 W-6.5, R-6)
I am 31.5 years old.

Only NT is accepting Database Administrators with 6 band in each section. Can I apply for 489 visa ??

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi oracle.dba,

do you have a valid skills assessment already? How many points do you score in total? If you have 50+ points you may be eligible for a 489 visa.

Note that NT states on their homepage:
Due to the occupation ceiling in place and the very low number of places for selected occupations, applications for ICT occupations from overseas applicants must demonstrate very strong employment prospects in the Northern Territory. This can be done by providing evidence of having received an offer of employment in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation.
NT only has one State Migration plan, so yes, you could apply for the 489 visa as well. Whether you go for 190 or 489, you will need a job offer to get considered.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ms. Monika,

No, I have not gone through ACS phase yet, I have heard they will deduct 2 years of experience, so I am waiting for few months, so that I can claim 5 years of experience, I have 6years and 2 months at the moment.

My current points
Age 31--------[30 points]
IELTS 6--------[0 Points]
Overseas Skills [5 points] becuase ACS will deduct 2 years out of 6 years.
BSc Computing [15 points] Bsc(Hons) in COmputing.

Job offer, I think it must be pretty difficult or nearly impossible to get a job offer from Australia. Well, I think this option is gone too for me.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi oracle.dba,

well, it is certainly hard but not impossible. The company does not have to become your sponsor as with the 457 visa or ENS. This means no sponsorship obligations or paperwork for them, which is a great advantage. You'd need something like an "Expression of Interest" (EOI), though - half a page signed by the company that they would be interested in hiring you and cannot fill the role with local personnel. This document is non-binding and would probably do the trick. My partner and I initially wanted to come over on a 457 visa and although two companies were interested they were reluctant to offer sponsorship. However, they were quick to issue EOIs when we needed them for a flat application. There is no risk involved, after all. And while the competition in metropolitan Australia is certainly steep, it should be easier to find a job in rural Australia. Most migrants with ICT skills head to Sydney or Melbourne, after all. I'd recommend to send your applications to the companies directly instead of via recruiters. Recruiters may filter you out because you don't have a visa and aren't in Australia yet before even looking closely at your skills. Many companies post open jobs on their homepage as well, that's where I's look.

Alternatively, you can also re-take IELTS to boost your points, get your skills assessed, submit an EOI and hope for changes to the SOL in the new migration year, starting from 1 July 2014.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for detailed reply. I will try to contact some companies, and also submit my resume to recruiter agencies. At the same time, I am planning to retake IELTS.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts