Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was granted 189 visa last month and planning to make my first entry on Australia in December. It's a short one week trip just to secure the PR and then I will be back to US for sometime.

My questions is:
For my return, if I book an Air New Zealand flight, that will make a stop in Auckland, NZ before going to US....Do I need a transit visa for that or not? Or my 189 PR Visa Stamp will be enough. Any Idea?

The information online is confusing. Some links says "I do".
Some goes to the extent "I can even work in NZ with Australian 189 PR"

So what is it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If it’s just a transit point for you to catch your onward flight then you won’t need any visa. It’s like a normal transit point for you.

You need to visit Australia to activate your PR though, don’t go back from New Zealand thinking that you won’t need to visit Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it’s just a transit point for you to catch your onward flight then you won’t need any visa. It’s like a normal transit point for you.

You need to visit Australia to activate your PR though, don’t go back from New Zealand thinking that you won’t need to visit Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I won't be going back from NZ. In fact, NZ is on my return journey (AUS to US). So I will be in AUS for 1 week before heading to NZ.

And yes, though it's just a transit point for me. Some countries do need Transit Visas for things like this. For e.g., When I'm coming from US to AUS, I have booked an Air Canada which will be stopping in Canada for couple hours. And Indian Passport Holders do need a Transit Visa for Canada such halts.

Similarly, Indian Passport Holders (Like Me) also need Transit Visa for New Zealand if flights are making a stop there. But my question is, will the 189 Visa Stamp which is basically Australian PR, help me waive off that requirement and save $200 and the messy process.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[solved]

To avoid further confusion, I directly called the NZ Immigration Services and this is what they said:

1. Travelling Anywhere to AUS via NZ...doesn't matter travelling from where and which country passport holder that person is, Transit Visa not needed.

2. Travelling AUS to Anywhere via NZ...Transit visa NOT needed, If we have a Permanent Residency visa of AUS. If it's a provisional residency visa for AUS or Visitor Visa or Student Visa or something like that, Transit Visa IS needed.

Hope this helps, just in case someone else also have a similar question in future. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts