Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Please help me out. I have some problems regarding to the application of visa 189.

1/ My relationship status is changed to "separated" on 01/05/2015 but I have not updated on my EOI yet. On 08/05/2015 I received the invitation to apply for the visa. What should I state in the application? "married" or " separated"? Can I just put "married" in order to match with the EOI and then submitted the form 1022?

2/ I am currently holding visa 489 in Adelaide. Due to my family circumstances, I have to go back Vietnam. Can I apply 189 outside Australia while holding 489? Do I need to apply for bridging visa before coming back or I can use my 489 to travel?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Liam

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
1- Enter your status as of the day you are lodging the application even if it has changed since EOI, no need for Form 1022 in this case

2- You can apply for 189 offshore and can travel on 489 while it's still valid

However, an offshore application will mean you won't get a BVA automatically so you need to apply for BVA once you return on 489 before it expires, then you can remain in Australia on the BVA if 489 expires before 189 is granted, and can get a BVB to travel if you need to (requires holding a BVA or another BVB)

If you are onshore and 489 expires and you did not apply for BVA, you will become unlawful, which means you can only get a BVC, plus your 4-year counter for citizenship will reset. Not recommended.

Moreover, remember that BVs in general cannot be applied for offshore, so if your 489 expires while you're offshore, you cannot return to Australia till 189 is granted. Also BVAs kick in only when your visa expire while you're onshore, so make sure you are onshore before the day 489 expires AND hold a BVA so it kicks in, then if you need to travel, get as BVB and make sure you return to Australia before its travel authority expires, otherwise you will get stuck offshore and won't be able to return till the 189 grant

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
if you apply now onshore however, you will get a BVA automatically but it will kick in only when 489 expires while you're onshore, so you can apply now, go back home, but make sure you're back onshore before 489 expires to allow BVA to kick in, then if you need to travel again, get a BVB and travel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thank your so much for the immediate answer. I am so sorry to forget mentioning my 489 expired date. My 489 will expires in 2018. Does it mean that I don't need to apply any bridging via right?

If the case officer sees the different relationship status between EOI and the application, does it affect my grant?

Liam

1- Enter your status as of the day you are lodging the application even if it has changed since EOI, no need for Form 1022 in this case

2- You can apply for 189 offshore and can travel on 489 while it's still valid

However, an offshore application will mean you won't get a BVA automatically so you need to apply for BVA once you return on 489 before it expires, then you can remain in Australia on the BVA if 489 expires before 189 is granted, and can get a BVB to travel if you need to (requires holding a BVA or another BVB)

If you are onshore and 489 expires and you did not apply for BVA, you will become unlawful, which means you can only get a BVC, plus your 4-year counter for citizenship will reset. Not recommended.

Moreover, remember that BVs in general cannot be applied for offshore, so if your 489 expires while you're offshore, you cannot return to Australia till 189 is granted. Also BVAs kick in only when your visa expire while you're onshore, so make sure you are onshore before the day 489 expires AND hold a BVA so it kicks in, then if you need to travel, get as BVB and make sure you return to Australia before its travel authority expires, otherwise you will get stuck offshore and won't be able to return till the 189 grant

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Hi,

Thank your so much for the immediate answer. I am so sorry to forget mentioning my 489 expired date. My 489 will expires in 2018. Does it mean that I don't need to apply any bridging via right?

If the case officer sees the different relationship status between EOI and the application, does it affect my grant?

Liam
Assuming that the 189 will be granted before 2018 - which is safe to assume given the current processing timelines - then you don't need to apply the bridging visa

Different relationship status is due to different circumstances that took place halfway through between EOI and Visa Application. Only impact is if you were claiming spouse points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much. Have a lovely weekend.

Assuming that the 189 will be granted before 2018 - which is safe to assume given the current processing timelines - then you don't need to apply the bridging visa

Different relationship status is due to different circumstances that took place halfway through between EOI and Visa Application. Only impact is if you were claiming spouse points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Theexpatriate,

In the application of 189, should I put the address in Australia or in Vietnam in the section of usual country of residency? Thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts