Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am seeking your help on the best course of action for my subclass 189 application.

I am living and working in Sydney on a 457 visa (Management Accountant) for the past 2 years. Originally, I am from India. I have a B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering from IIT Kanpur and PGDM from IIM Bangalore. Post IIM Bangalore, I worked with a FMCG firm as a Finance Analyst in India for 3.5 years, and then moved to Australia for the same firm.
I appeared for IELTS and got the required score to obtain 10 points.
My question is as follows:

Should I apply as a Chemical Engineer? - Bachelor Degree but no work experience

or Should I apply as a Management Accountant? - Work experience but missing 1 competency (Business Law) in my PGDM, as required by CPA. Also, I have read that the cutoff is generally very high for this stream.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi all,
I am seeking your help on the best course of action for my subclass 189 application.

I am living and working in Sydney on a 457 visa (Management Accountant) for the past 2 years. Originally, I am from India. I have a B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering from IIT Kanpur and PGDM from IIM Bangalore. Post IIM Bangalore, I worked with a FMCG firm as a Finance Analyst in India for 3.5 years, and then moved to Australia for the same firm.
I appeared for IELTS and got the required score to obtain 10 points.
My question is as follows:

Should I apply as a Chemical Engineer? - Bachelor Degree but no work experience

or Should I apply as a Management Accountant? - Work experience but missing 1 competency (Business Law) in my PGDM, as required by CPA. Also, I have read that the cutoff is generally very high for this stream.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would request you to do paper drawing to make a guess work about what points you might get by taking both routes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would request you to do paper drawing to make a guess work about what points you might get by taking both routes.
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
This is how the points pan out for both options:

Chemical Engineer:
English: 10
Bachelor Degree: 15
Work Experience: 0
Partner Skills: 5
Total: 60

Management Accountant:
Bachelor Degree: 15 (Assuming I appear for Business Law exam and clear it)
Work Experience: 10
Total: 70

With this, my questions summarize to below:
-Are 60 points sufficient to get invited as Chemical Engineer?
-Will even 70 points be sufficient for Management Accountant, if I go through and clear Business Law exam?
-If I boost my English score to 20, will it be worth trying for Management accountant, or I can get Chemical Engineering with 60 without going through the issues of appearing for more exams?
-Does CPA assess work experience if the degree is not recognized?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
This is how the points pan out for both options:

Chemical Engineer:
Bachelor Degree: 15
Work Experience: 0
Total: 60

Management Accountant:
Bachelor Degree: 15 (Assuming I appear for Business Law exam and clear it)
Work Experience: 10
Total: 70

With this, my questions summarize to below:
-Are 60 points sufficient to get invited as Chemical Engineer?
-Will even 70 points be sufficient for Management Accountant, if I go through and clear Business Law exam?
-If I boost my English score to 20, will it be worth trying for Management accountant, or I can get Chemical Engineering with 60 without going through the issues of appearing for more exams?
-Does CPA assess work experience if the degree is not recognized?
I won't be going into much details (as i don't know much) but 60 pointers have less chance this year (especially as you are to start the assessment process yet). Also, there are very IFs in your calculations. You should first target obtaining max scores wherever you can eg. PTE, partner assessment etc.

For chemical engineers cutoff estimates, i will request others to give their views.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts