Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New to this forum so getting my head round the logistics of it.
Here's my story to those who are interested:
I have just moved to dubai from the uk after being offered an opportunity I cannot refuse and one I would never get back in the UK given that I had no intention of going to university. I left all my family behind and move out here alone albeit stating with a family friend who has been out here for 7 years, until I can afford to put myself up. I'm starting to feel the loneliness of it all, as I depend on my family a lot, and I love going out with my friends, but I just can't do it here as I don't know anyone, just wondered if there's anyone my age/or in th same situation? What is there to do in dubai? I have a particular interest in cars - I love them! So if there's any lads out there that have the same interests give me a shout

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
you may find many ex-pat kids head back to where they came from for University etc at about that age, but there are some here, and there are also people coming out to work here, like you, though not many at 18, it has to be said.
You'll find plenty in their early 20's, though.

in my opinion, the best way to meet like-minded people would be to join some of the sporting activities and clubs available, if you're into that as well as cars. Great way to meet people of all ages and backgrounds. There will be someone playing every conceivable sport somewhere in town!

Reactions: saraswat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,

New to this forum so getting my head round the logistics of it.
Here's my story to those who are interested:
I have just moved to dubai from the uk after being offered an opportunity I cannot refuse and one I would never get back in the UK given that I had no intention of going to university. I left all my family behind and move out here alone albeit stating with a family friend who has been out here for 7 years, until I can afford to put myself up. I'm starting to feel the loneliness of it all, as I depend on my family a lot, and I love going out with my friends, but I just can't do it here as I don't know anyone, just wondered if there's anyone my age/or in th same situation? What is there to do in dubai? I have a particular interest in cars - I love them! So if there's any lads out there that have the same interests give me a shout
Hi Joseph, I'm in a similar situation, I'm 23 but I'm still in University mode sometimes. Also a huge car fan. Looking to making enough very soon so I can 1) Go to Abu Dhabi for the F1 and 2) Go on a track day at the Autodrome.

There's so much to do here but only if you know people, everyone I work with is much older and already have their own families. Bare in mind you have to be 21 (I think) to go to actual nightclubs but there's so much else to do. Where abouts are you staying? At the moment I'm in Deira.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Joseph, I'm in a similar situation, I'm 23 but I'm still in University mode sometimes. Also a huge car fan. Looking to making enough very soon so I can 1) Go to Abu Dhabi for the F1 and 2) Go on a track day at the Autodrome.

There's so much to do here but only if you know people, everyone I work with is much older and already have their own families. Bare in mind you have to be 21 (I think) to go to actual nightclubs but there's so much else to do. Where abouts are you staying? At the moment I'm in Deira.
hey man we should all meet then lol I'm into cars as well I got one of my own that I mod as well plus I'm 20 living along aside with my family and studying here as well in Abu Dhabi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah good to hear from you guys! Nice to know I'm not all alone! Everyone I work with have families too, noone is on the same wavelength as me! Can't have the banter you can with people similarly aged. What sporting clubs are there? I've played rugby for my county back in the UK and skied since I was 8 so ski dubai will be on the cards! What car is it you're wanting to mod? I have a Honda crx 1.6 vtec back home I'm buying parts for with my next pay packet! Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Joe :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yeah good to hear from you guys! Nice to know I'm not all alone! Everyone I work with have families too, noone is on the same wavelength as me! Can't have the banter you can with people similarly aged. What sporting clubs are there? I've played rugby for my county back in the UK and skied since I was 8 so ski dubai will be on the cards! What car is it you're wanting to mod? I have a Honda crx 1.6 vtec back home I'm buying parts for with my next pay packet! Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Joe :)
There are quite a few rugby Clubs. I'm sure they'll be after a County player..

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeap lol I felted the same way but good to know theres few people out there

I'm not sure about sporting clubs in dubai specifically but theres plenty if you look them up and ski dubai is fun and worth it when you get a chance to go

nice man its pretty good on gas as well what year is it? I own a 2008 VW Passat for over a year now and got tons of mods in it and so far my goal at the moment is to lower it and get a stage 2 so I can take my CEL out from my catless exhaust lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey man we should all meet then lol I'm into cars as well I got one of my own that I mod as well plus I'm 20 living along aside with my family and studying here as well in Abu Dhabi
Yeh agreed, After a few months you might even have enough saved to buy something out here, Can't believe how cheap american cars are. Wouldn't even look at a Camaro in England but I'll happy sideline my German preferences for cheap power over here.

Rugby will get much easier in a few weeks, playing in this weather would be insane, not sure about any specific clubs though. I'd start badminton again if I knew where to go.

Deffo should arrange a meet at somepoint, difficult to find someone of the age that appreciates how well written 'The Inbetweeners' is here, keep watching it in my apartment expecting someone to bust in and complain about the language.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeh agreed, After a few months you might even have enough saved to buy something out here, Can't believe how cheap american cars are. Wouldn't even look at a Camaro in England but I'll happy sideline my German preferences for cheap power over here.

Rugby will get much easier in a few weeks, playing in this weather would be insane, not sure about any specific clubs though. I'd start badminton again if I knew where to go.

Deffo should arrange a meet at somepoint, difficult to find someone of the age that appreciates how well written 'The Inbetweeners' is here, keep watching it in my apartment expecting someone to bust in and complain about the language.
yeah compared to the states it's a bit cheaper but not sure on "been looked after" from the owners point of view most try to make that quick sale O_O but that's another story. Agreed there are cheap on power big plus and many have them my VW is ok, but not many owned them and a few electrical gremlins piss me off here and there and sometimes cost adds up, but I'm still sticking to it lol :)

lol I would die if I play out doors in the day even when I'm working something on my car for five mins I would come home with a pool of sweat I'd try night time it might be better

we should honestly I tried on some VW fourms and few locals but they plan to meet and for some reason I miss it un informed about it and I just said screw it and the hell with it

PM me if your up for some motor events I think there's a few coming up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah love the inbetweeners! Went to magaluf with all my mates summer just gone as a last sort of goodbye as we all go our separate ways! What do you guys do for fun then at nights if you're alone? I'm currently watching pirate copy films I bought from a nice Asian lady trying to figure out which pixel is Jason stathom! One tween the pop corn and toilet breaks of the people in the cinema! So you're a vw guy? I like te whole dub scene but more of a jap man myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah love the inbetweeners! Went to magaluf with all my mates summer just gone as a last sort of goodbye as we all go our separate ways! What do you guys do for fun then at nights if you're alone? I'm currently watching pirate copy films I bought from a nice Asian lady trying to figure out which pixel is Jason stathom! One tween the pop corn and toilet breaks of the people in the cinema! So you're a vw guy? I like te whole dub scene but more of a jap man myself.
lol i guess for fun you just said it I watch whole bunch of films and on YouTube watching my favorite car channels on my laptop there is a very few things to do by yourself but alot in a group I usually drive around go to my ACE hardware store for some parts if I can find and eat out or go to some resort for a shooting range or dirt bike riding but once I try managing getting there membership first

yeah I just got into it for a year since I owned it lol since then It's a different taste mostly the guys drop them for a perfect stance and I understand what your coming from I used to own a nissan before that and the scene in the states are big and still is today

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do the same things regarding YouTube videos! Love watching them haha it's sad really, I like motor trend channels and "drive" ASwell as all the audial stanceworks and everything!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a huge Harry Metcalfe fan, was watching this earlier, think it's my favourite Evo video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beutB6R0Zqg

Drive is great because Chris Harris is a lunatic, the video of him driving the F458 Spyder is epic. In terms of the evening, not really been up to much, been very busy with work but there aren't many Western nightspots around Deira and all the actual clubs require tables and guest listing.

Suppose the thing to do is go to a nice bar in a decent hotel but I doubt it'll be the same as night out in London. By the sounds of it though, actual nightclubs are as good as top london clubs.

Dirt bike riding sounds amazing! Don't have a bike license though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well we all have something in common lol I love watching drive with Chris Harris which is why i mainly watch it also roadkill and big muscle but thanks to school and a little busy I just tune in for fast lane daily for some quick news lol

I think most clubs run like that they might have a dj or singer in there but idk also I agree on the hotels it isn't the same from a few people told me but honestly I'm not into it 1 being up underage and I simply don't drink but you can smoke it up at a shisha bar or something time will fly fast lol

Lol don't need one the resort has them a place to ride around it might not be a bike but maybe a quad 4 wheeler but it's fun I really want to go lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
New, Used ones must be even cheaper then? Isn't a Challenger the same price as an entry level 1 Series would be in the UK? Probably less actually.

Quads sounds like more fun than the bikes, should deffo arrange something soon, even like you said a Shisha lounge or something (I don't do it but it'll just be like Edgware Road I suppose)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts