Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an IT professional with an ICT major in computing and 6.5 years of Perl & J2EE experience with a single employer in financial services sector.

Skills Assessment Online Application : Dec 11, 2011
Hard copies reached ACS : Dec 16, 2011
Positive Result from ACS : Jan 16, 2012

IELTS (General Training) : Feb 18, 2012
IELTS Result (Online) : Mar 5, 2012 (L 9.0, R 9.0, W 8.0, S 8.0)

I will be applying for State Sponsorship to Victoria and NSW in the next couple of days.
Thanks to atsurti and varunsal for patiently answering my questions.

I will post specific details of my application to this thread.

Reactions: vignesh07

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Applied for Vic and NSW SS

I applied for Victoria and NSW state sponsorship today.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello Sraza,
I am also an IT professional with experience over 5yrs and looking for immigration to Australia..
Your case look same to mine.. Can you please share with which consultant you have filed your case ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Sraza,
I am also an IT professional with experience over 5yrs and looking for immigration to Australia..
Your case look same to mine.. Can you please share with which consultant you have filed your case ?
I am filing it without any consultant. This forum has everything you need to know to file by yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIC SS application goof up

I am repeating my comment from this thread for benefit of others : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...3121-victoria-ss-timelines-14.html#post735583

I regret not reading the forum thoroughly for VIC SS. Though undocumented on VIC website, it appears that providing a written statement upfront will make a stronger case. stormgal on this forum got her VIC approval in 11 days by providing a written statement upfront.

I have IT experience in the financial services industry and Melbourne is full of those. Financial Services - Opportunities - Invest Victoria, Melbourne, Australia

Honestly, I prefer NSW over VIC but with the July 2012 changes like SkillSelect and SOL revision (with risk of ICT being dropped), anything for 176 is great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am repeating my comment from this thread for benefit of others : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...3121-victoria-ss-timelines-14.html#post735583

I regret not reading the forum thoroughly for VIC SS. Though undocumented on VIC website, it appears that providing a written statement upfront will make a stronger case. stormgal on this forum got her VIC approval in 11 days by providing a written statement upfront.

I have IT experience in the financial services industry and Melbourne is full of those. Financial Services - Opportunities - Invest Victoria, Melbourne, Australia

Honestly, I prefer NSW over VIC but with the July 2012 changes like SkillSelect and SOL revision (with risk of ICT being dropped), anything for 176 is great.
Hi Sraza,

I want to clear one doubt , if we apply for 176 , say for VIC, is there any restriction for working and living in melbourne.

Since job opportunities are flooded in the major cities and I think the main reason for AUS government to have this scheme is to develop other cities in the state.

Please correct me , if I have understood it wrongly...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Sraza,

I want to clear one doubt , if we apply for 176 , say for VIC, is there any restriction for working and living in melbourne.

Since job opportunities are flooded in the major cities and I think the main reason for AUS government to have this scheme is to develop other cities in the state.

Please correct me , if I have understood it wrongly...
Seniors can correct me if I am wrong.
AFAIK, you can work and live anywhere in VIC on 176. There is another visa subclass that restricts you to regional areas

Also, the obligation to live in sponsored state is moral but not legal. That said, if you do not oblige, it is logical to assume that your case for RRV or citizenship later on might be weakened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
info

I applied for Victoria and NSW state sponsorship today.
Hi,
sraza

I have 03 yers 09 months of experience as Analyst Programmer, which is assessed positively by ACS.

But my next experience od 03 years as DBA is assesed as not relevent to my nominated occupation.

So, now I only have over 03 years of experience as Analyst Programmer. And because of this I need state sponsorship.

My question to you is that, as my exp as Analyst Programmer is from 2005 to 2009, which is almost 3 yers ago, so how this factor will be assessed by state authority and by immigration authority?

I would be really grateful if you guys could give me some information as I am also doing this process by myself.

Good luck to you and please let us know about your state sponsorship status.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I am bit confused on written statement, Is it a cover letter stating my job profile and why planning to move to Victoria ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
sraza

I have 03 yers 09 months of experience as Analyst Programmer, which is assessed positively by ACS.

But my next experience od 03 years as DBA is assesed as not relevent to my nominated occupation.

So, now I only have over 03 years of experience as Analyst Programmer. And because of this I need state sponsorship.

My question to you is that, as my exp as Analyst Programmer is from 2005 to 2009, which is almost 3 yers ago, so how this factor will be assessed by state authority and by immigration authority?

I would be really grateful if you guys could give me some information as I am also doing this process by myself.

I am afraid I don't know answer to your question. You will have to ask this on another thread or start a new thread to get opinion from senior expats here.

I am guessing you didn't nominate DBA because its not on the list?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am bit confused on written statement, Is it a cover letter stating my job profile and why planning to move to Victoria ?
I meant a letter indicating why you plan to move to VIC (and not other states).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi,
sraza

Hi emaily,

From what you have said, I am assuming that you have selected Analyst Programmer as your nominated occupation.

As your experience as Analyst Programmer is almost 3 years old, I am afraid that you may not be eligible to apply to DIAC, I am not sure through.
Please check this link: Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)
It says:
"If your nominated occupation is not on the Specified Trade Occupations list, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) for at least 12 months in the 24 months immediately before applying."

In last 24 months you were not employed as Analyst Programmer.
I am not sure whether you have to be employed in your selected occupation or any skilled occupation in SOL. I guess in either case its bad luck for you. Because in last 24 months you were employed as DBA, which is not in the SOL for 175.

Please don't get demotivated by my words, this just what I have understood, I could be wrong. Better do some research on this.

Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi emaily,

From what you have said, I am assuming that you have selected Analyst Programmer as your nominated occupation.

As your experience as Analyst Programmer is almost 3 years old, I am afraid that you may not be eligible to apply to DIAC, I am not sure through.
Please check this link:

It says:
"If your nominated occupation is not on the Specified Trade Occupations list, you must provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) for at least 12 months in the 24 months immediately before applying."

In last 24 months you were not employed as Analyst Programmer.
I am not sure whether you have to be employed in your selected occupation or any skilled occupation in SOL. I guess in either case its bad luck for you. Because in last 24 months you were employed as DBA, which is not in the SOL for 175.

Please don't get demotivated by my words, this just what I have understood, I could be wrong. Better do some research on this.

Wish you all the best.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

I have checked your your given link.

But there is also some other info that I found, please check this link,

[sorry can't post link yet, forum rules]
//please go to "Main applicant eligibility", then from POINTS TEST go to
"Overseas and Australian Skilled Employment – Points" link.//

It says,

"You will be awarded points for employment in a skilled occupation, gained over the past ten years either in Australia or overseas. To claim points for skilled employment, the experience that you claim must be in your nominated occupation, or in a closely related occupation. You can claim points for both Australian skilled employment and overseas skilled employment and this may be from a combination of both Australian and overseas employment experience provided it was undertaken in the last 10 years."

Your link is from "Recent Skilled Employment Experience – Eligibility" part and it also talk about

So it states that if I'm not in "Specified Trade Occupations list", then I have to be in "any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List", not my selected occupation.

What is your opinion?

I myself am certainly not an expert, so any expertise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Your link is from "Recent Skilled Employment Experience – Eligibility" part and it also talk about

So it states that if I'm not in "Specified Trade Occupations list", then I have to be in "any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List", not my selected occupation.
As per my understanding, in last 24 months you were employed neither in your selected occupation nor in any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.

I am saying this because DBA is not on the Skilled Occupation List for 175 (SOL schedule-1). Hope you got my point.

@forum members,
please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As per my understanding, in last 24 months you were employed neither in your selected occupation nor in any skilled occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.

I am saying this because DBA is not on the Skilled Occupation List for 175 (SOL schedule-1). Hope you got my point.

@forum members,
please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes you are right about SOL-1.

But if I apply for 176, DBA is existed in SOL-2 list. So I should be fine, right?

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
628 Posts

But if I apply for 176, DBA is existed in SOL-2 list. So I should be fine, right?

What do you think guys?
yes, provided you manage to get a SS from state that lists this job code

·
Registered
267 Posts

What do you think guys?
Yes, you have to get SS for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello guys,

Thanks all for your reply.

Does anyone know about VIC or NSW's rule about recent experience in nominated occupation.
How recent does it have to be to be eligible for their SS?

Any info. on this will really help me a lot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NSW SS Approved!

I got approval letter from NSW today.

I had applied on Mar 9, courier reached them on Mar 14.
I got a mail from them on Mar 20 that my payment has been rejected.
I arranged australian money order which reached them on Mar 26.
I received approval letter by post on Apr 2. It is dated Mar 26.

Next step is to apply 176 online!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I got approval letter from NSW today.

I had applied on Mar 9, courier reached them on Mar 14.
I got a mail from them on Mar 20 that my payment has been rejected.
I arranged australian money order which reached them on Mar 26.
I received approval letter by post on Apr 2. It is dated Mar 26.

Next step is to apply 176 online!
Cool. go ready for next step. all the best

1 - 20 of 41 Posts