Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My job offer came through today and the total remuneration package is 125K incl super. Do you think this is a fair deal for survival in Brisbane. I am currently in the UK and looking for change. They are offering 12K relocation, flights, visa 457 and 4 weeks temp accommodation as well. I am in engineering profession.

Do you guys think $125K is enough for a couple to survive in Brisbane. Planning to buy a new car and house if make a move to Brisbane.

I am open to commute up to an hour. Opinions and Help much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
My job offer came through today and the total remuneration package is 125K incl super. Do you think this is a fair deal for survival in Brisbane. I am currently in the UK and looking for change. They are offering 12K relocation, flights, visa 457 and 4 weeks temp accommodation as well. I am in engineering profession.

Do you guys think $125K is enough for a couple to survive in Brisbane. Planning to buy a new car and house if make a move to Brisbane.

I am open to commute up to an hour. Opinions and Help much appreciated. Thanks
$125k is a decent package, no doubt considerably more than what you are probably earning in the UK.

Exactly how good the offer is depends on:
What type of engineer?
How much experience?
Which industry will you be working in?
If Oil & Gas or Mining will you be working for an operator or consultancy?

Also:
Do you have a wife/family?
Do you have kids?
What kind of new car do you want? They are expensive in Australia.
House prices are OK in Brisbane.

I'm looking at relocating to Brisbane myself (from Melbourne).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$125k is a decent package, no doubt considerably more than what you are probably earning in the UK.

Exactly how good the offer is depends on:
What type of engineer?
How much experience?
Which industry will you be working in?
If Oil & Gas or Mining will you be working for an operator or consultancy?

Also:
Do you have a wife/family?
Do you have kids?
What kind of new car do you want? They are expensive in Australia.
House prices are OK in Brisbane.

I'm looking at relocating to Brisbane myself (from Melbourne).
Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking it is not enough to live in Brisbane and having double mind.

I am senior planning engineer with 11 years experience. It will be oil & gas, construction and mining consultancy.

Yes, I will be relocating with my wife, no kids.
Probably small hatchback something like, ford fiesta, i30 or rio. Hope this would help.

Don't you think the money on offer is less. I don't have a clue about Oz market but did some research and salaries are between 90K and 200K. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey,

$125k is fine for a couple to live off, you won't be 'rich' but you certainly won't be wanting for too much either. If you wife can find a job paying $50k you should both be quite comfortable.

You could potentially do better than $125k but that depends on how long you are willing to wait.

Sounds like you have realistic expectations on what your car and living standards are likely to be so you shouldn't be disappointed when you get there.

If money is your main consideration you could consider getting a Fly in - Fly out position and get another $50k -$80k more, but you be leaving your wife alone for weeks at a time.

There is plenty of work in Brisbane and you are certainly in the right industry. Take the offer if it's the best thing you have at the moment. There is nothing that locks you into that particular employer once you have passed the period where you have to pay back the relocation money. Many employers are willing to take on a 457 visa holder and once you are here must if the hard work has been done already!

You'll love the Australian lifestyle. I spent 2011 in London and while it was a great experience we were VERY glad to get home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is the cheapest city in the east coast compared to Sydney and Melbourne. It's a decent package. You may want to get tax advise to confirm what your take home pay will be after all the taxes. Don't forget that its $125k minus 9% super, and the figure after the 9% is your taxable income. Then it's approx 23% on 80k and then $.37 to the dollar that you will be taxes.

Housing is high however relatively cheap compared to other places. If you are ok with an hour commute to the city you will find a lot of house for a decent price. I would pull the trigger if I was in your shoes.

Let us know how it all turned out

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the cheapest city in the east coast compared to Sydney and Melbourne. It's a decent package. You may want to get tax advise to confirm what your take home pay will be after all the taxes. Don't forget that its $125k minus 9% super, and the figure after the 9% is your taxable income. Then it's approx 23% on 80k and then $.37 to the dollar that you will be taxes.

Housing is high however relatively cheap compared to other places. If you are ok with an hour commute to the city you will find a lot of house for a decent price. I would pull the trigger if I was in your shoes.

Let us know how it all turned out

Good luck.
I am currently considering negotiating further. After Super pkg is $115K and after tax it would be around $82K take home. There are lots of people who suggested that one could leave with 3.5K to 4K each month in Brisbane.

House prices are much better then Sydney for sure. I am still not sure whether this is a good deal overall or not. I will let you know for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i know families in Brisbane leading a very good life in that much money (and they are not just a couple but with a couple of kids). You can negotiate mroe if you think it will help but if they dont budge 125 is also good enough

·
Registered
119 Posts
i know families in Brisbane leading a very good life in that much money (and they are not just a couple but with a couple of kids). You can negotiate mroe if you think it will help but if they dont budge 125 is also good enough
Agreed. The original question was "Do you guys think $125K is enough for a couple to survive in Brisbane?".

The answer is yes. You will be able to provide for 2 people on that salary and you will do much better than 'survive'.

If you can get more money, go for it, but $125k is more than enough unless you want to buy a Ferrari a yacht and a fancy house in a very expensive suburb but it does sound like your expectations are realistic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing I never said in my original question is my UK ILR (PR) is due in Dec this year after 8 months. If I leave UK and accept the Brisbane job I might never be able to return to UK.

I know this is more of a personal dilemma for me to short out. I will be earning almost similar in UK in next few month time as my restrictions with the current employer would end after my ILR (PR) here in UK.

I lived here in the UK for 5 years and now know what is good and bad. Probably I could do better but I want change as well. Where Oz is uncharted waters for me and at the back of my mind I know the Brisbane offer is good and I could improve on that once I am there but only thing concerns me is: what if it don't work out as I am expecting?

·
Registered
200 Posts
zyoxizol said:
The thing I never said in my original question is my UK ILR (PR) is due in Dec this year after 8 months. If I leave UK and accept the Brisbane job I might never be able to return to UK.

I know this is more of a personal dilemma for me to short out. I will be earning almost similar in UK in next few month time as my restrictions with the current employer would end after my ILR (PR) here in UK.

I lived here in the UK for 5 years and now know what is good and bad. Probably I could do better but I want change as well. Where Oz is uncharted waters for me and at the back of my mind I know the Brisbane offer is good and I could improve on that once I am there but only thing concerns me is: what if it don't work out as I am expecting?
Unfortunately there's really no answer to that question. How things will turn out in brisbane is anybody's guess. Its going to be a decision on how much are you willing to risk and how comfortable you are in life.

From my own personal standpoint. I lead a very comfortable life in India and things so far have been good. But for me the idea of settling in australia is much more attractive on several fronts. It necessarily means that I will in the immediate future sacrifice a lot of material comforts that I enjoy today. I am comfortable with that trade off in the light of the potential that the longer term future holds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Life is about risks!! And with 125 in pocket and the encouragement from this forum you should be fine. Also if you want some expert to make you feel better, read what the world is saying about Australia economy:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/busin...st-imf-forecasts/story-fn7kjcme-1226330842431

The UK PR is a pickle. Have you ever been to Australia before? If not, you may want to visit editor you decide this is for you. However, once your come here there is a 678% chance you will not want to be anywhere else. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Life is about risks!! And with 125 in pocket and the encouragement from this forum you should be fine. Also if you want some expert to make you feel better, read what the world is saying about Australia economy:

Wayne Swan lauds latest International Monetary Fund forecasts for Australian economy | Latest Business & Australian Stock market News | The Courier-Mail

The UK PR is a pickle. Have you ever been to Australia before? If not, you may want to visit editor you decide this is for you. However, once your come here there is a 678% chance you will not want to be anywhere else. :)
I can see your point of view. I know this is a good chance and I am trying to convince myself that I am doing the right thing. Probably that is the reason I am on this forum. It is always good to here from people who are already there. Every advice is much appreciated. It does help.

I took so many risk in the past and ended up in the UK, it worked well. So far everything has paid-off and probably this Oz gamble would as well. Yes you are right Oz is booming and opportunities are endless for my type of role. Hey, who cares I am waiting for the company to come back with improved offer. Once I here something will keep you all updated. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to negotiate salary to $135K overall and they offered accommodation for first year including council tax and utilities. Accepted the offer and applied for 457 as well today. So hopefully, in few weeks time will be in Brisbane. Happy days! Good deal or bad deal? Let me know your views. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
excllent deal, major expense is accommodation, you will have a great life. you will save atleast 2000 bux,

·
Registered
351 Posts
Managed to negotiate salary to $135K overall and they offered accommodation for first year including council tax and utilities. Accepted the offer and applied for 457 as well today. So hopefully, in few weeks time will be in Brisbane. Happy days! Good deal or bad deal? Let me know your views. Thanks.
I think it's a great deal especially if that is your salary with the other items they have offered to you. I've read that sometimes the offer is only the salary with no relocation package.

May I ask if you just applied online for this particular job? Or saved your resume in one of the recruiting firms? I've personally been told I need to be in Australia to apply/interview with companies. Even though it was surprising to hear this when there is skype, etc.

In addition, if you did decide to pursue your UK PR. Wouldn't there still be a residency requirement in the UK to maintain this? You had apprehensions due to this issue in case you took this job offer. I know here in the US, immigrants can't be out of the US for more than 6 months. Otherwise, they will likely lose their visa. However, if they became a US citizen, we can live outside of the US as long as we want. We just have the requirement of filing our taxes every year.. even though we may not be currently working in the US.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not sure whether you're aware of the recent budget changes wrt to the LAFHA and how that may affect your net take home pay?

FBT living-away-from-home allowance reform

You may want to negotiate a further increase to compensate you if you were counting on LAFHA savings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it's a great deal especially if that is your salary with the other items they have offered to you. I've read that sometimes the offer is only the salary with no relocation package.

May I ask if you just applied online for this particular job? Or saved your resume in one of the recruiting firms? I've personally been told I need to be in Australia to apply/interview with companies. Even though it was surprising to hear this when there is skype, etc.

In addition, if you did decide to pursue your UK PR. Wouldn't there still be a residency requirement in the UK to maintain this? You had apprehensions due to this issue in case you took this job offer. I know here in the US, immigrants can't be out of the US for more than 6 months. Otherwise, they will likely lose their visa. However, if they became a US citizen, we can live outside of the US as long as we want. We just have the requirement of filing our taxes every year.. even though we may not be currently working in the US.
Yes you are right, it is hard to get a job when you are outside of Australia. Yes I floated my CV on the job sites but never got good response. Everyone wanted someone with visa and in person for interviews. I decided to ditch that option and go for internal vacancies as my company is a blue chip multi national. They offered me jobs in US and Australia before which I declined then and this time it worked. It is good to work with the same company even in new country. In UK if you hold passport and live outside of UK for longer than 2 years, you might have to answer tough questions at the immigration. Not sure about implications.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure whether you're aware of the recent budget changes wrt to the LAFHA and how that may affect your net take home pay?

FBT living-away-from-home allowance reform

You may want to negotiate a further increase to compensate you if you were counting on LAFHA savings.
To me LAFHA is a perk and I never counted on it. So I am happy without LAFHA. Perks are added benefit and sooner or later it will disappear. I am happy with the salary at this stage, will look for more options once I am there. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
excllent deal, major expense is accommodation, you will have a great life. you will save atleast 2000 bux,
Yes it is. I was surprised when they came back and said they will offer me an accommodation. Never heard that in Australian offers before. So I would say it is a welcome change. This means after landing I will be in home straight away no more temporary accommodation and search for rented houses. Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts