Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooo excited. Our move is in 12 days! 12 days! We have gotten approved/stamped paperwork for casa de maneje, been in conversation with a guy at the Santa Teresa border for our truck & trailer, and with the wonderful help of a guy on this forum (Chinagringo) have maps printed out for every step of our route. We want to go thru Morelia cause my husband's sister lives there, then on to Playa Ventura. Hopefully ahead of the rains that hit Guererro all summer. This forum has been great for info, and I plan to stay connected and hopefully become one of the old timers who can give friendly advice to the "newbies" Viva Mexico!!:clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i am soooo excited. Our move is in 12 days! 12 days! We have gotten approved/stamped paperwork for casa de maneje, been in conversation with a guy at the santa teresa border for our truck & trailer, and with the wonderful help of a guy on this forum (chinagringo) have maps printed out for every step of our route. We want to go thru morelia cause my husband's sister lives there, then on to playa ventura. Hopefully ahead of the rains that hit guererro all summer. This forum has been great for info, and i plan to stay connected and hopefully become one of the old timers who can give friendly advice to the "newbies" viva mexico!!:clap2::clap2:
jealousy!!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am soooo excited. Our move is in 12 days! 12 days! We have gotten approved/stamped paperwork for casa de maneje, been in conversation with a guy at the Santa Teresa border for our truck & trailer, and with the wonderful help of a guy on this forum (Chinagringo) have maps printed out for every step of our route. We want to go thru Morelia cause my husband's sister lives there, then on to Playa Ventura. Hopefully ahead of the rains that hit Guererro all summer. This forum has been great for info, and I plan to stay connected and hopefully become one of the old timers who can give friendly advice to the "newbies" Viva Mexico!!:clap2::clap2:
+1 Jealousy!!!! It must be GREAT to be you right now! - Good travels, and as Garrison Keillor says, "Stay well, do good works and keep in touch."

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 Jealousy!!!! It must be GREAT to be you right now! - Good travels, and as Garrison Keillor says, "Stay well, do good works and keep in touch."
Thanx!! Yes I am list making & revising, but it's gettin' shorter! Next week we will sit on cardboard boxes as the last of the furniture goes Monday. This weekend we're gone all wknd to say goodbye to my hubby's family. Bills are paid and blank checks left for the utilities closing statements, HO insurance paid up for a year, rabies shot for Sam, ...tomorrow morning meeting out by the coast with my sister & brother in law for breakfast and goodbye. She and I have almost always lived within an hour if each other; funny we grew up the closest of our siblings, but her dream is to live in Alaska, & and mine Mexico ha ha. We are happy for each other but the next three days will be a little bit....bittersweet I guess, happy & sad. This is REALLY happening! And...yipee!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes! That's how I feel, and it's still months for me! Muy buena suerte, and start up your advice-to-the-newbies posts immediately (now that you'll be an old-timer almost right away)...lol.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanx!! Yes I am list making & revising, but it's gettin' shorter! Next week we will sit on cardboard boxes as the last of the furniture goes Monday. This weekend we're gone all wknd to say goodbye to my hubby's family. Bills are paid and blank checks left for the utilities closing statements, HO insurance paid up for a year, rabies shot for Sam, ...tomorrow morning meeting out by the coast with my sister & brother in law for breakfast and goodbye. She and I have almost always lived within an hour if each other; funny we grew up the closest of our siblings, but her dream is to live in Alaska, & and mine Mexico ha ha. We are happy for each other but the next three days will be a little bit....bittersweet I guess, happy & sad. This is REALLY happening! And...yipee!
It's great that you are doing so well. A though as you said leaving in 12 days and Sam just had shots. We have never been asked at the border for paperwork but the requirement is that you have the vet signed form dated within 5 days of crossing the border.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Terry, do you have a wall calender where you are marking off each day before your departure with a big black X? It sounds like you have everything under control except your excitement at finally making this momentous move. ¡Buena suerte con todo!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have made a really great decision to live in Mexico. The plus factor outweighs any minus that you may have heard, by far. After 16 years of continuous life here and over 50 years of visiting with extended 6 month stays in Mexico I have never had any regrets and have had more of life fulfillment than in California. Please remember that Mexico is a very friendly, yet foreign, country.
There will be some adapting your life style to their way of living, not yours. Be flexible, smile and laugh a lot and don´t take things seriously. There will be ups and downs but it is your attitude toward them that matters. You are in for the adventure of your lifetime. All the best and enjoy!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's great that you are doing so well. A though as you said leaving in 12 days and Sam just had shots. We have never been asked at the border for paperwork but the requirement is that you have the vet signed form dated within 5 days of crossing the border.
Hi thanx for your info about the dog shots; but all we got was the rabies- then on Tuesday we get the health cert, which I will ask that he date Friday or Monday- he's a pretty cool guy so I think he'll be happy to fudge it, Sam is almost 5 yrs old and in great health...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry, do you have a wall calender where you are marking off each day before your departure with a big black X? It sounds like you have everything under control except your excitement at finally making this momentous move. ¡Buena suerte con todo!
ha ha Isla Verde, thank you! Yes my list includes marking off the days. We are off in a few minutes for the wknd to say goodbye to Everardo's family and I will not be able to affect anything so I'm bringing my atlas and a good book! (also some of his family; those who need to respectful visit-elders- don't speak English but do speak quickly and low so I get lost pretty quick- hence the book)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have made a really great decision to live in Mexico. The plus factor outweighs any minus that you may have heard, by far. After 16 years of continuous life here and over 50 years of visiting with extended 6 month stays in Mexico I have never had any regrets and have had more of life fulfillment than in California. Please remember that Mexico is a very friendly, yet foreign, country.
There will be some adapting your life style to their way of living, not yours. Be flexible, smile and laugh a lot and don´t take things seriously. There will be ups and downs but it is your attitude toward them that matters. You are in for the adventure of your lifetime. All the best and enjoy!
Thank you so much for your words. I know I need to learn patience; which by simply being married to a Mexican I have had the opportunity to start this process ha ha! And I look forward to learning a new way of life, love & laughter! I know there will be times at first where I may feel isolated just because of the language, but I'm pretty good at making lemonade so as I said- bring it on Mexico, I look forward to all you have to offer and I hope to bring something positive to the party. (ha ha my nervousness shows cause all of a sudden I'm so wordy):)

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Thank you so much for your words. I know I need to learn patience; which by simply being married to a Mexican I have had the opportunity to start this process ha ha! And I look forward to learning a new way of life, love & laughter! I know there will be times at first where I may feel isolated just because of the language, but I'm pretty good at making lemonade so as I said- bring it on Mexico, I look forward to all you have to offer and I hope to bring something positive to the party. (ha ha my nervousness shows cause all of a sudden I'm so wordy):)
We'll all be here when you feel the need to vent about something in English!

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Guerrero is my favorite destination state, and Playa Ventura is one of those special places once you visit you never want to leave. Lucky you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I seen your post and had to smile for you. I just sold 1/3 of my stuff today in prep for my move down. I fly from here in 23 days and will be in Chapala for 5 weeks. Then I'll drive down for good in November this year 179 days for the. I do have a count down calender for both time periods for me.
I can't wait until I'm in your shoes!
Have you decided where your going to live yet? Have a home rented yet? I'm sorry if I missed it but where are you crossing the border at? Ca., Az., NM., or Texas?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I seen your post and had to smile for you. I just sold 1/3 of my stuff today in prep for my move down. I fly from here in 23 days and will be in Chapala for 5 weeks. Then I'll drive down for good in November this year 179 days for the. I do have a count down calender for both time periods for me.
I can't wait until I'm in your shoes!
Have you decided where your going to live yet? Have a home rented yet? I'm sorry if I missed it but where are you crossing the border at? Ca., Az., NM., or Texas?
Hi, we have a house in Playa Ventura, about 2 hours driving south of Acapulco in the state of Guerrero. We are crossing in New Mexico at Santa Teresa, a smaller crossing very near Juarez. Yes it's very exciting. And becoming very real as we are sleeping on the floor tonite ha ha!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, we have a house in Playa Ventura, about 2 hours driving south of Acapulco in the state of Guerrero. We are crossing in New Mexico at Santa Teresa, a smaller crossing very near Juarez. Yes it's very exciting. And becoming very real as we are sleeping on the floor tonite ha ha!
WOW!
Oh I'm so jealous you are so close to the Yucatán and all of the ruins that are around there. Well, a lot closer than where I'm at right now. I wish you a very safe passage and remember to have fun on the way down.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
WOW!
Oh I'm so jealous you are so close to the Yucatán and all of the ruins that are around there.
I don't think that Playa Ventura is anywhere near the Yucatan Peninsula. And remember that there are wonderful archaeological sites all over Mexico!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think that Playa Ventura is anywhere near the Yucatan Peninsula. And remember that there are wonderful archaeological sites all over Mexico!
Correct; Playa Ventura is on the Pacific coast, pretty far south, and I have been to the pyramids in the Yucatan and near Mexico City. There is soooo much adventure ahead. Oh and Sam got his health certificate today and they dated it this coming Saturday! We plan to cross Wednesday so we should be good. Of course you know what they say about best laid plans. So we will do whatever we need to. The process is the goal!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.