Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest daughter was an exemption on my returns for 2006-2007.I've been told that because she has to file her own 1040 for those years that I have to ammend my returns for 06-07 dropping her as an exemption.Is that the way it works/


· Administrator
54,959 Posts
Take a look at Publication 17 - there's a fairly extensive section in there on dependents.

Or, take a look at Publication 929 on dependents: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p929.pdf

The main issue is that you can't take an exemption for her if she is taking the exemption for herself on the returns she is filing for those years. One option is for her to simply not take her exemption on her returns.

But Pub 929 explains your options better than I can.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.