Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Let us assume somebody moves to Australia as a permanent migrant from Pakistan. We know that for most things he/she will need to clear the 100 points check. My question is, will the following documents suffice?

1. Passport
2. Pakistani Driver's License
3. Bank Statement from Pakistani Bank

Please note that initially the person would be staying at a serviced apartment or may be a backpacker's hotel so he won't have any utility bills etc. The bank statement from Pakistan would only show the address in Pakistan. Would these be acceptable? Looking forward to input from everyone. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Your passport will count towards the 100 points, however the remainder of the points will have to be made up from documents issued in Australia. Any of the following will work:

1. Australian Bank card
2. Australian bank statement
3. Australian driver's license
4. Medicare card
5. Gas/ electricity/ water bill
6. Motor registration

You should be able to get Nr 1, 2 and 4 within days of landing in Australia.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Maz. But wouldn't the bank require me to show 100 points of identification when I go to open a bank account? Or are the rules a bit different for new migrants?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
You only need your passport if you open a bank account within the first six weeks of arriving in Australia.

In actual fact, as a new migrant, you can open a bank account online before you even arrive in the country and on sighting your passport, the bank will activate the bank account for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi All,

Let us assume somebody moves to Australia as a permanent migrant from Pakistan. We know that for most things he/she will need to clear the 100 points check. My question is, will the following documents suffice?

1. Passport
2. Pakistani Driver's License
3. Bank Statement from Pakistani Bank

Please note that initially the person would be staying at a serviced apartment or may be a backpacker's hotel so he won't have any utility bills etc. The bank statement from Pakistan would only show the address in Pakistan. Would these be acceptable? Looking forward to input from everyone. Many thanks in advance.
What is a 100 points check?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does the following sound like a plan:

1. Go over to Australia and stay in a backpackers.
2. Get your medicare card (with backpackers address).
3. Go to bank, show passport and give backpackers address as the place one is staying.
4. Go to driving registration authority and provide passport + medicare card + bank statement/card.

Now, a slight problem. All of the above have the backpackers address. So when one hopefully gets a job and then a proper residence, the address would need to be updated on all the above??? :(

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
So does the following sound like a plan:

1. Go over to Australia and stay in a backpackers.
2. Get your medicare card (with backpackers address).
3. Go to bank, show passport and give backpackers address as the place one is staying.
4. Go to driving registration authority and provide passport + medicare card + bank statement/card.

Now, a slight problem. All of the above have the backpackers address. So when one hopefully gets a job and then a proper residence, the address would need to be updated on all the above??? :(
Nr 1 - 3 would work. You will need more than those three documents to get a driving license.

At any point when you change your permanent address, you are required to notify Medicare and in order to protect your identity, also the bank so that your bank statement and cards do not end up in the wrong hands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it possible to use PO Box in Australia to receive this documents? It can avoid a lot of address changes during the first weeks.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Is it possible to use PO Box in Australia to receive this documents? It can avoid a lot of address changes during the first weeks.
You will need to provide a physical address. Changes to your address can be done online for the most part, so it will not cause you any inconvenience when you do need to make any changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nr 1 - 3 would work. You will need more than those three documents to get a driving license.

At any point when you change your permanent address, you are required to notify Medicare and in order to protect your identity, also the bank so that your bank statement and cards do not end up in the wrong hands.
Thanks once again for your wonderful help. One more thing. What would I require for the driving license other than passport+medicare card+bank docs? It would help me chalk up a plan.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Thanks once again for your wonderful help. One more thing. What would I require for the driving license other than passport+medicare card+bank docs? It would help me chalk up a plan.
If you have already decided on where you wish to move to, you can visit the DVS website for that particular state. They list the combination of documents that they accept. They normally split out the documents in about 4 different lists and you have to provide 1-2 documents from each list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I tried the NSW website just out of curiosity and it has only 2 lists.

List 1 and List 2 documents

I can only provide my passport from list 1 and hopefully will be able to provide the medicare card, ATM card, and account statement from List 2. Can somebody please confirm whether this will be enough for the NSW driver's license?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.