Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

These two queries I have:

1. Have read in this forum at some places that while applying for jobs when in OZ one's resume should match with the requirements 100%. Is it true? I don't think we can match 100% vis-a-vis whats given in the requirements. We match some or most of them and learn others as you go along in your work. What say guys/gals?

2. How important/required is it to have ones linkedin profile updated with all possible recommendations? Is it mandatory or that much helpful in our job search.

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
if your cv deos not match you get an email saying there were others whose cv was a close match adn that they regret to inform you did not make it adn they wish you luck.. pfbtttttttt

most people check your linkedin profile, if you are applying for big companies that is, but yes linkedin profile matter now, gt as many recommendations as you can and try to be as active as you can..

Reactions: Squirrel14#

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anjali. Taken your point for linkedin.

About CV - 100% matching might be difficult to achieve all the times, thats what I meant. And yes CV will meet most of the requirements but 100% is quite unrealistic.

Say a job opening has 10 technologies mentioned and one has worked on 9 out of them. Still 1 technology is left out and he/she does not meet 100%.

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
then your chances of being accepted are 90% :).

I will give you an example, I have been looking for a job in marcom field, in design software known before putting in InDesign i actually tried my hand on it and saw if i can work on it or not and yes i can, i have never worked on it but it does look simple adn i know i can manage learning it in no time so i added it in my CV and for next few days i will check out as many tutorials as I can and even try and work on it to get a hands-on experience.

dont worry it isnt that badand a follow up is the most important, more chances to get noticed than sending the CV and waiting for them to get back

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apart from linkedin references what other type of references one needs while applying for jobs.
I am thinking in terms of what all I should take with me from here before making the move.
Previous companies relieving letters not enough?

-Melbourne

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
by reference they do a physical check. they take numbers from you and call after you have got the offer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
They take the numbers of? previous employer's HR? or someone still working in the company like a manager or a colleague?

by reference they do a physical check. they take numbers from you and call after you have got the offer.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
seems to be a dumb ques but I gotta ask it : How can I put across the point that "I will be relocating to SA in a few month's time & am open to jobs in SA" on my Profile Page in LinkedIn ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
They take the numbers of? previous employer's HR? or someone still working in the company like a manager or a colleague?
I had a word with someone who is in Oz for quite a long time. She told me that the recruiters and agents prefer previous line manager's reference the most. If you have worked with big companies then the HR would not be able to answer anything about your work and attitude. HR hardly interact with people after they have been recruited. If you provide a couple of references then the other one can be of a colleague.

Reactions: anj1976 and happ

·
Registered
353 Posts
seems to be a dumb ques but I gotta ask it : How can I put across the point that "I will be relocating to SA in a few month's time & am open to jobs in SA" on my Profile Page in LinkedIn ?
No question is dumb :)

You can mention this in the summary section. I did not find any section in LinkedIn which speaks of which visa you have and your location preference.

You can try the jobs section on Linkedin and save job searches. You can specify the area you want to work.

There is a good site simply hired .com which send you weekly updates on the new jobs posted for the region you want to look for a job. You can try that as well.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
lifeisgood,
i think you gotta change the headline or change your location

happ
they ask you fro references, depends on who you are comfortable with, every form that you fill has fields for references, name-number-email id-company and position in the company

·
Registered
590 Posts
As part of the process of applying for ACS, I had to get references from al my previous line managers. I figure these are going to be very handy when applying for jobs later down the line as well! I'm sure most of you have the references that you already need!

As for matching CV to jobs, I don't think its a matter of of matching, but more a case of tailoring your CV for each job you are applying for. If the job places emphasis on a particular skill, then change your CV to more emphasis on those skills so that it highlights that fact. Remember the CV is a marketing tool for you to get yourself in front of the recruiter, you need to play to your target audience! This should be done no matter where you are in the world really - but of course it's easier just to click "apply and send" all the time, I've done that myself :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.