Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

10 year criminal background check

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
#1 ·
Hello!

Long time no see! I've tried searching for a post relating to my question but was unsuccessful so here goes:

I have been living in France Since April 2011. Was married 7/7/2012. ( Anniversary today lol) I have my 10 year CDR since 2 years ago. I now want to apply for citizenship. Can you tell me, please, how to go about getting the criminal background check from the US? I know it is requiring a 10 year background check, but I have been here for 6, so does that mean I get a background check for the last 4 years I was in the US (from 2007-2011) And then get the police report background check for the 6 years I have been living here; equaling 10 years?

I would appreciate any direction in which company to use or any help in general, really.

Thanks so much!

Shawna

#2 ·
No, as bizarre as it seems, what they want is a background check from your home country - whether or not you have lived there or even been there in the last ten years. They say "ten years" because that's the scope of the French cassier judiciaire - but in the US, what you need to obtain is an FBI "rap sheet". You'll need to be fingerprinted on a special form.

This is the Consulate information on this process: https://fr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...sources-of-u-s-citizens/fbi-background-check/ (basically, "we don't do this") The service costs $18 plus the cost of getting fingerprinted.

You can always ask for a French Cassier Judiciaire, too. At least these are free to get and I think you can order one online these days. I threw a copy into my dossier for nationality, but I think they gave it back to me as "not needed."
Cheers,
Bev

#5 ·
Thanks Bev and Everhopeful!

Ummmm...this "rap sheet", does it have EVERYTHING on it? I went to jail 20 years ago for not paying $2,000+ in tickets. (I was young and dumb and thought "not my car, not my tickets!) I sat the time out in jail so I didn't have to pay. Spent 6 days. Is that going to be on there you think?...I'm scared lol

#6 ·
Best way to find out is to get fingerprinted and pay for the "rap sheet" - but since it's fingerprint based, did you actually get fingerprinted when they took you in? Given that it's the FBI, a local rap may not show up, especially one from 20 years ago.
Cheers,
Bev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.