Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Long time no see! I've tried searching for a post relating to my question but was unsuccessful so here goes:

I have been living in France Since April 2011. Was married 7/7/2012. ( Anniversary today lol) I have my 10 year CDR since 2 years ago. I now want to apply for citizenship. Can you tell me, please, how to go about getting the criminal background check from the US? I know it is requiring a 10 year background check, but I have been here for 6, so does that mean I get a background check for the last 4 years I was in the US (from 2007-2011) And then get the police report background check for the 6 years I have been living here; equaling 10 years?

I would appreciate any direction in which company to use or any help in general, really.

Thanks so much!

Shawna

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
No, as bizarre as it seems, what they want is a background check from your home country - whether or not you have lived there or even been there in the last ten years. They say "ten years" because that's the scope of the French cassier judiciaire - but in the US, what you need to obtain is an FBI "rap sheet". You'll need to be fingerprinted on a special form.

This is the Consulate information on this process: https://fr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...sources-of-u-s-citizens/fbi-background-check/ (basically, "we don't do this") The service costs $18 plus the cost of getting fingerprinted.

You can always ask for a French Cassier Judiciaire, too. At least these are free to get and I think you can order one online these days. I threw a copy into my dossier for nationality, but I think they gave it back to me as "not needed."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
No, as bizarre as it seems, what they want is a background check from your home country - whether or not you have lived there or even been there in the last ten years. They say "ten years" because that's the scope of the French cassier judiciaire - but in the US, what you need to obtain is an FBI "rap sheet". You'll need to be fingerprinted on a special form.

This is the Consulate information on this process: https://fr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...sources-of-u-s-citizens/fbi-background-check/ (basically, "we don't do this") The service costs $18 plus the cost of getting fingerprinted.

You can always ask for a French Cassier Judiciaire, too. At least these are free to get and I think you can order one online these days. I threw a copy into my dossier for nationality, but I think they gave it back to me as "not needed."
Cheers,
Bev
You don't need the French Cassier Judiciaire because the French police will do their own check (and they have access to more information than you would be able to access, eg. fiche S, which you don't have access to.

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
You don't need the French Cassier Judiciaire because the French police will do their own check (and they have access to more information than you would be able to access, eg. fiche S, which you don't have access to.
Agreed, but the French document is free to obtain - and it's kind of interesting to see for yourself that you have a "clean" record here in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bev and Everhopeful!

Ummmm...this "rap sheet", does it have EVERYTHING on it? I went to jail 20 years ago for not paying $2,000+ in tickets. (I was young and dumb and thought "not my car, not my tickets!) I sat the time out in jail so I didn't have to pay. Spent 6 days. Is that going to be on there you think?...I'm scared lol

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
Thanks Bev and Everhopeful!

Ummmm...this "rap sheet", does it have EVERYTHING on it? I went to jail 20 years ago for not paying $2,000+ in tickets. (I was young and dumb and thought "not my car, not my tickets!) I sat the time out in jail so I didn't have to pay. Spent 6 days. Is that going to be on there you think?...I'm scared lol
Best way to find out is to get fingerprinted and pay for the "rap sheet" - but since it's fingerprint based, did you actually get fingerprinted when they took you in? Given that it's the FBI, a local rap may not show up, especially one from 20 years ago.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts