Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
How not to be a jerk on line?
The simple answer is just not to pst anything because you hae to understand that there is such a diversity of views here that someone will always think you are a jerk.

To be honest startung a thread like this and believing that it actually matters to anyone has already consigned you to a large bin with a J on it, but hey that`s only my opinion so who cares!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How not to be a jerk on line?
The simple answer is just not to pst anything because you hae to understand that there is such a diversity of views here that someone will always think you are a jerk.

To be honest startung a thread like this and believing that it actually matters to anyone has already consigned you to a large bin with a J on it, but hey that`s only my opinion so who cares!
:rolleyes:
And you are entitled to your opinion so that's fine. On regards to different opinions, I agree with you and I'd say this forum is a proof of that, so many ages and nationalities so disagreements are expected.

However we are talking about basic etiquette here, and most of the guidelines in the article are encouraged by most internet forums anyway, whoever uses internet forums frequently knows that. Nothing to do with 'diversity of views', just general internet/forums etiquette.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This was a text message I got.

J, gd mrn nd knw bt pmp cld cmp wl snd nw nd 1 sner cn u get 1

Who could read that ????? Anyone??? It is horrible! There is just no excuse to do text message even on a phone, let alone on a forum.

I always wonder what those peoples resumes look like who post.
At least now I know what text speak is... I didnt realize anyone over the age of 15 wrote / typed / messaged this way. Even when I text, its never in short form. Are there really adults that type that way? Like real grown-ups? haha, i truly find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
At least now I know what text speak is... I didnt realize anyone over the age of 15 wrote / typed / messaged this way. Even when I text, its never in short form. Are there really adults that type that way? Like real grown-ups? haha, i truly find that hard to believe.

I'm a real grown up (sadly) and when I'm texting on my mobile I use text speak cos its quicker and easier, altho it does depend who I'm texting. Friends and family get txtspek fm me!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally thought those list of rules were quite good and many of them common sense - or at least I would have thought so. But I never really gave too much thought to the usage of abbreviations and just got on with it, except when I'd come across one I didn't know about. Some interesting points to be noted but I would think there ought to be a little bit of give and take. Although on the whole I would be inclined to think there should be less of it.

I especially like the rule on brevity ... chow

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this thread is really old but I just want to agree with the no text speak rule as well. It's just so annoying and the world can live without it. But sadly, it's 2012 and text speak is still alive. But thankfully not in this forum. :)

39 Posts
We all make mistakes when we start, right? Especially when trying to join an online community or social network.

Remember The Past
Even you were new to the Web once, so be kind to those just dipping a toe in the water. When they make mistakes, gently point out where they went wrong; and if you can, do it privately to prevent public humiliation. Real people, unlike real jerks, want to improve.
Everyone makes mistakes on the Internet when they're still n00bs, most people are just too nice to point it out (I can definitely say this from experience). Always have patience with newbies, they need time to learn and adapt. They learn and settle eventually.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts