Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am cosidering moving to Canada. Before (and if) I do that, I would like to learn more about the country from people actually living there.

I would be grateful, if you could give me 10 things you like the most and the least about Canada. To help you out, here're my picks relating to the UK:

Ups:
1. They do speak English here. So do I (am trying, anyway ;)
2. Relative closeness to my Home (the country, where I was born)
3. Brick houses (as opposed to 'wood and carboard' houses in the USA)
4. Relative closeness to the Old Continent (so much to see, but so little time and money to spare)

Downs:
1. Cost of living to wages ratio very disappointing
2. People (not quite as friendly as Americans)
3. People (constant rush - at work and especially on the roads)
4. People (highets violent crime rating in the EU - youngsters prefer :boxing: rather than going to school or getting a job)
5. People (very poor customer service and professionalism)
6. Weather (nothing like Arizona dry heat)
7. Poor pro-family policy
8. Ridiculous political correctness policy
9. Landscape - boring and dull, unless one take a day-long drive to Scotland, or a bit shorter to Wales
10. Fitness (poor choice of gyms, which are expensive and ill-equipped)

Cheers!

Kris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Im gonne pick the easy ones....and the PC ones :)

Up:
- Lots of Outdoorsy stuff to do which makes for exciting living (at least in my book)

Down
- Car Insurance

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hello everybody,

I am cosidering moving to Canada. Before (and if) I do that, I would like to learn more about the country from people actually living there.

I would be grateful, if you could give me 10 things you like the most and the least about Canada. To help you out, here're my picks relating to the UK:

Ups:
1. They do speak English here. So do I (am trying, anyway ;) And this surprises you, why?
2. Relative closeness to my Home (the country, where I was born) I would stay in UK. Canada's much too far away.
3. Brick houses (as opposed to 'wood and carboard' houses in the USA) What a stupid comment. I would much rather have a 'wood and cardboard US house than a brick house such as those on Coronation Street.
4. Relative closeness to the Old Continent (so much to see, but so little time and money to spare) And how would moving to Canada resolve this for you?

Downs:
1. Cost of living to wages ratio very disappointing What does this mean?
2. People (not quite as friendly as Americans) Stupid comment
3. People (constant rush - at work and especially on the roads) Small country, lots of Polish people
4. People (highets violent crime rating in the EU - youngsters prefer :boxing: rather than going to school or getting a job) Just like Canada
5. People (very poor customer service and professionalism) Just like Canada
6. Weather (nothing like Arizona dry heat) Just like Canada
7. Poor pro-family policy WTF does this mean? Not enough Government handouts?
8. Ridiculous political correctness policy Well if this is a problem for you, you definitely shouldn't come to Canada.
9. Landscape - boring and dull, unless one take a day-long drive to Scotland, or a bit shorter to Wales It takes four days to drive from Toronto to the mountains of Alberta/BC.
10. Fitness (poor choice of gyms, which are expensive and ill-equipped) Well I think the UK should build magnificently well-equipped fitness facilities for you and your ilk and not charge you because of your No.1 comment.
Cheers!

Kris
Given the above, Canada would not be to your liking so find somewhere else, Poland perhaps. I'm sure things are much better there than in the UK and Canada.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Given the above, Canada would not be to your liking so find somewhere else, Poland perhaps. I'm sure things are much better there than in the UK and Canada.

Wow...... you need to get to bed a little earlier, it might improve your attitude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am afraid I agree with Auld Yin.
No one forced the poster to move to the UK, if they dont like it no one is forcing them to stay.

Hi Veronica

Well, we are all entitled to our opinion. Wondering if you would you have worded in quite the same way. I thought the reply was very rude and unfriendly. I have reported it for being so. It kind of underlines some of the comments made by the poster don’t you think !!

Regards, Tripp.

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
Hi Veronica

Well, we are all entitled to our opinion. Wondering if you would you have worded in quite the same way. I thought the reply was very rude and unfriendly. I have reported it for being so. It kind of underlines some of the comments made by the poster don’t you think !!

Regards, Tripp.
I just wonder why people go to other countries thinking they will find a better life than the one they left behind and then do nothing but moan bcause it isnt as wonderful as they expected.
As I said if they dont like it they can always go home.
We came to Cyprus knowing that there would inevitably be things we dont like about in and we were right, but we accept the things which we dont like and dont spend our time rubbishing the country we chose to live in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just wonder why people go to other countries thinking they will find a better life than the one they left behind and then do nothing but moan bcause it isnt as wonderful as they expected.
We came to Cyprus knowing that there would inevitably be things we dont like about in and we were right, but we accept the things which we dont like and dont spend our time rubbishing the country we chose to live in.
+1, i agree.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi Veronica

Regards, Tripp.
Which poster are you referring to. me or the original? If you regard my post as rude and unfriendly then so be it, but I would not apologise.
Would you enter and live in someone else's home and then begin to criticise every aspect of their lives, as he did about the UK? Surely the bottom line is, if he doesn't like it there then he should go back to where he came from, as it must be better there or he couldn't find so many faults with the UK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Which poster are you referring to. me or the original? If you regard my post as rude and unfriendly then so be it, but I would not apologise.
Would you enter and live in someone else's home and then begin to criticise every aspect of their lives, as he did about the UK? Surely the bottom line is, if he doesn't like it there then he should go back to where he came from, as it must be better there or he couldn't find so many faults with the UK.
Well, then I apologise for "criticising every aspect of their lives", it was not my intention. I bet criticising would be ok, if I was English, not some bloody foreigner, working for below-minimum wage, taking away English peoples' jobs, oh no, I am sorry... we do not work hard here, we only beg for government hand-outs!

If I do not like it here, it's my personal opinion. You may like it or not. I do not care. If you want to discuss English-Polish tensions, write me a private message. I will be happy to ignore it, because I have no time or will for dogfight. I have a job and pay taxes, so older English folks get their retirement cheque.

My original question was about Canada, thanks to mate who bothered to answer (car insurance, eh? will take that to account!) my question. I hope to hear more opinions, especially negative ones. Yes, that's right: negative ones. Because I have an idea of what I would like about Canada, not so much about the flip side.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Take your point, however what I don’t find acceptable in a public forum is that the tone in a response has to be rude and unfriendly to the point of coming across as nasty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am referring to your response to the poster KrisUK. I do regard your reply as rude, unfriendly, and the tone of it comes across to the point of sounding nasty. Quote “WTF does this mean” unquote. What is that all about. The tone of your response is not what I would expect from a moderator.
I actually recognise some of the points of criticism the poster KrisUK makes of my country and I live here. You explain your self more adequately in your response to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everybody,

Ups:
1. They do speak English here. So do I (am trying, anyway ;)
4. Relative closeness to the Old Continent (so much to see, but so little time and money to spare)

Downs:
1. Cost of living to wages ratio very disappointing
2. People (not quite as friendly as Americans)
3. People (constant rush - at work and especially on the roads)
4. People (highets violent crime rating in the EU - youngsters prefer :boxing: rather than going to school or getting a job)
5. People (very poor customer service and professionalism)
6. Weather (nothing like Arizona dry heat)
7. Poor pro-family policy
8. Ridiculous political correctness policy
9. Landscape - boring and dull, unless one take a day-long drive to Scotland, or a bit shorter to Wales
10. Fitness (poor choice of gyms, which are expensive and ill-equipped)

Cheers!

Kris
You don't say where in Canada you are considering a move to. It is my opinion that you will find BC beautiful, the people friendly, and the way of life very unacceptable. I think you will be used to the winter climate !! Auto insurance very expensive, the upside to that is gas is a lot cheaper than the UK :)) You will also find that housing in BC a little expensive.

Regards Tripp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry but I have to agree with Auld Yin as I was offended by KrisUK's post.

He totally generalised and that is not fair!

Ups:
1. They do speak English here. So do I (am trying, anyway)

Downs:
1. Cost of living to wages ratio very disappointing - This totally depends on where in the country you live. In the south east yes but I can't imagine Canadian cities are cheap either!!!
2. People (not quite as friendly as Americans) You have to be having a laugh! 1. Canadians are not Americans and 2. NO ONE country owns rude or friendly behaviour. I have met rude and friendly Poles but I would not stereotype!
3. People (constant rush - at work and especially on the roads) Ha, I have been to parts of Canada and can see no difference to much of the UK! London and the south east is no different in this respect to major cities in Canada.
4. People (highets violent crime rating in the EU - youngsters prefer rather than going to school or getting a job) This is soooo harsh and I am really offended! Could it be the area YOU live in as where I live in the east - south east - ish there is close to a zero level but that is because I chose to live in a nicer area.
5. People (very poor customer service and professionalism) Again totally offended!
6. Weather (nothing like Arizona dry heat) Well I get burnt when I sunbathe - although saying that the humidity is bugging me too at the mo!
7. Poor pro-family policy - That is up to the individual! In many parts of the country this is not an issue - could it be where YOU LIVE maybe?
8. Ridiculous political correctness policy - THIS COMMENT ANNOYS ME THE MOST! WELL YOU WERE ALLOWED IN THE COUNTRY. OUR SCHOOLS BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP POLISH KIDS (AND SO THEY SHOULD!) AND OUR GOVERNMENT AND COUNCILS PUBLISH LOTS OF DOCUMENTS TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND THINGS WHEN LANGUAGE IS A BARRIER! I think if I went to Poland I would not get this kind of help. Why should we put up with a country of racists?
9. Landscape - boring and dull, unless one take a day-long drive to Scotland, or a bit shorter to Wales - ALL I CAN SAY IS WHATEVER! Have you never been to the Chiltern Downs, the Lake District, Cornwall or Devon, Yorkshire? These have the most beautiful scenery that you could ever want to see - plus there are so many more places - sorry can not think fast enough!! I have been to bits in Poland - only a few mind and I have to admit it was nothing special - nothing like I have seen in the UK.
10. Fitness (poor choice of gyms, which are expensive and ill-equipped) I am fat and I go to the gym and there are no machines in my gym that I think are missing - there are PLENTY of council funded gyms that are cheaper but yes they might have less equipment but that is because councils have other things to spend their money on! Again gyms tend to be cheaper out of the city areas - I am sure Canada will have the sme issues.
Cheers!

Kris

Sorry Kris but you were really rude about a country that has taken you in and stereotyped the people living here. Christ knows I don't think it is an amazing place to live but there are plenty worse. Plus the old adage of the grass is always greener on the other side might be something you should think about!

Finally (sorry for the long post!) the UK accepts people into the country from European if they are in the EU. You don't really need to have skills, money or anything (no I am not saying you are unskilled or anything - and no I don't believe the Poles are stealing English jobs) but I am wanting to move to Canada and with an MA, a Post Grad and now I am a consultant in my occupation - I don't even think they will take me! The don't take people like the UK does!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't say where in Canada you are considering a move to. It is my opinion that you will find BC beautiful, the people friendly, and the way of life very unacceptable. I think you will be used to the winter climate !! Auto insurance very expensive, the upside to that is gas is a lot cheaper than the UK :)) You will also find that housing in BC a little expensive.

Regards Tripp.
I am a free man, can settle anywhere in Canada... ok, I do not speak any French, so big chunk of the country won't suit me, when it comes to finding a job I guess...

Winter could be an issue, but am sure that I can get used to it. By now, I find housing in Slough (where I live) VERY expensive (comparing to income of course). Am wondering, how does it look in BC... but no worries, will do my homework and google it over the weekend.

Thanks for the hints, Tripp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry but I have to agree with Auld Yin as I was offended by KrisUK's post.

I am sorry mate, never meant to offend anybody (namely: English people). These where just examples, sort of directions, if posters could not come up with their own. I never talk bad about UK in front of English people, even if they start the subject. Here, it was an accident.

He totally generalised and that is not fair!

Yes I did, am sorry again. I did not have time though to start each sentence with 'in my opinion...' and of course I was talking about my experience in Thames Valley only, or mostly.

Sorry Kris but you were really rude about a country that has taken you in and stereotyped the people living here. Christ knows I don't think it is an amazing place to live but there are plenty worse. Plus the old adage of the grass is always greener on the other side might be something you should think about!

Point taken, I still believe that UK is a good country to live, just not to me. And on top of moaning about my 'useless' life, I try to change it. This is why I am on this forum, asking questions.

Finally (sorry for the long post!) the UK accepts people into the country from European if they are in the EU. You don't really need to have skills, money or anything (no I am not saying you are unskilled or anything - and no I don't believe the Poles are stealing English jobs) but I am wanting to move to Canada and with an MA, a Post Grad and now I am a consultant in my occupation - I don't even think they will take me! The don't take people like the UK does!
I hope it makes you feel a bit better: my education matches yours, all in business/management/marketing. Back home, these papers are worthless, if not backed by decent job experience counted preferably in decades. Your chances go up a bit, if you speak more languages than our beloved Pope, all fluent, if you're a hot blonde DD-sized, under 25 years of age and willing to work for peanuts.

I hoped I could put my potential to use in the UK (years fly by, and suprisingly, I am not getting any younger), my post-grad was accredited by Manch. Met. Uni after all, but guess what? Am 'proud ' clerk/assisstant. On the other side, people from my team (all native English :) ) are cool!

·
Registered
52 Posts
look for the good and you will find what your looking for?

Well, then I apologise for "criticising every aspect of their lives", it was not my intention. I bet criticising would be ok, if I was English, not some bloody foreigner, working for below-minimum wage, taking away English peoples' jobs, oh no, I am sorry... we do not work hard here, we only beg for government hand-outs!

If I do not like it here, it's my personal opinion. You may like it or not. I do not care. If you want to discuss English-Polish tensions, write me a private message. I will be happy to ignore it, because I have no time or will for dogfight. I have a job and pay taxes, so older English folks get their retirement cheque.

My original question was about Canada, thanks to mate who bothered to answer (car insurance, eh? will take that to account!) my question. I hope to hear more opinions, especially negative ones. Yes, that's right: negative ones. Because I have an idea of what I would like about Canada, not so much about the flip side.
just go on hoilday like we did and make your own mind up

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I hope it makes you feel a bit better: my education matches yours, all in business/management/marketing. Back home, these papers are worthless, if not backed by decent job experience counted preferably in decades.

Setting aside the other acrimonious comments, I should advise you that with your qualifications/occupation you will find it very difficult to emigrate to Canada in the short term. You would require to have pre-arranged employment with an employer willing to apply to Government of Canada for permission to hire you, it's called a LMO.
Without such your application will/could take 5-7 years before you are given a visa.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will send application this year, and will see in 5-7 years if I am still interested in migrating there. In the meantime, I am planning a trip to Canada for two weeks, in 2010 or 2011.

In 2010 I'll try to set up a business back home. If this does not work out, am going to move somewhere nice within UK, Scotland perhaps. I hear good things about Edinburgh and not so good about Glasgow. For the price of one-bedroom flat in Slough I can get a semi-detached house in Edinburgh, my jobs pays about the same here and there. Living conditions have HUGE impact on how I enjoy my expat's (by choice not must) life.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.