Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Dollar saved is a Dollar Earned especially when you have just migrated to a new country. Here are few budgeting tips to help you save some cash in Australia.

1) Look to buy second hand goods on GumTree . This is the first place people go to sell items when they need to make money fast
2) Make the best of the community Garage Sales. These are usually held on the weekends. For listings grab the Saturday morning papers. Remember that most of the sales begin at 6.00am so be early to get the best on offer
3) Always op-shop. Op-shopping can land you some great bargains. Visit Vinnies, Red Cross and any others you see in your day to day activities
4) Purchase the Entertainment Book. This book offers discounts and vouchers for dining and other services in your city. It covers most of the major cities and regional towns as well as New Zealand
5) Another great website for getting super discounted deals is Groupon. From entertainment to holiday destinations and much more
6) Use your own banks ATM, never pay AUD$ 2 or AUD$ 3 for using a non-bank ATM
7) Do a Cash-Out at COLES or Woolworths instead of using a non-bank ATM and incur fees
8) Always look for specials and clearance items when shopping for groceries at Woolworths and Coles. Some items get marked down by 95% if nearing expiry dates!
9) Dine out on Cheap Tuesdays when there are great offers on meals and take-away
10) Buy the Travel cards.For example the GoCard in Brisbane or Myki Card in Melbourne

I wish all new Migrants a soft landing and a great start!

------------------------------------------------
VISA GRANT PROCESS - TIME STAMP

12.SEP.2013 - EOI Submitted
26.OCT.2013 – Medicals completed
28.OCT.2013 - Visa Application Submitted
04.DEC.2013 - Applied for Police Clearance
03.JAN.2014 - Police Clearance Received
06.JAN.2014 - PR Visa Granted for me and my partner
23.AUG.2014 - Moved to Australia
----------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
Excellent. I am sure you must have learn more during your tenure in Australia. ANy tips for Cell phone / Broadband connections ? How to choose...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent. I am sure you must have learn more during your tenure in Australia. ANy tips for Cell phone / Broadband connections ? How to choose...
Want cheaper mobile phone plan? Usually there are some promotions that we can get from other website such as gumtree, ozbargain. Promotion such as buy $30 prepaid starter pack for only $15/$10 or something like that. One good thing is that we can port/move our existing number to the new sim card. Only valid for prepaid sim card, not postpaid. For example, if your existing prepaid simcard is telstra and you know that there is cheaper option, for example amaysim prepaid starter pack. Just buy that amaysim prepaid starter pack and register with your existing number (porting) if you want to keep your existing number. Then if next month there is other better promotion for new simcard, you can port again to the new simcard. NOTE: Better port with different provider, for example from telstra to amaysim, then for example the next month from amaysim to vodafone.

:D I just ported my existing number from amaysim (using optus network) to Woolworth mobile (using telstra network).

For broadband connection, my other relative uses TPG. Don't know yet if there is better option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A Dollar saved is a Dollar Earned especially when you have just migrated to a new country. Here are few budgeting tips to help you save some cash in Australia.

1) Look to buy second hand goods on GumTree . This is the first place people go to sell items when they need to make money fast
2) Make the best of the community Garage Sales. These are usually held on the weekends. For listings grab the Saturday morning papers. Remember that most of the sales begin at 6.00am so be early to get the best on offer
3) Always op-shop. Op-shopping can land you some great bargains. Visit Vinnies, Red Cross and any others you see in your day to day activities
4) Purchase the Entertainment Book. This book offers discounts and vouchers for dining and other services in your city. It covers most of the major cities and regional towns as well as New Zealand
5) Another great website for getting super discounted deals is Groupon. From entertainment to holiday destinations and much more
6) Use your own banks ATM, never pay AUD$ 2 or AUD$ 3 for using a non-bank ATM
7) Do a Cash-Out at COLES or Woolworths instead of using a non-bank ATM and incur fees
8) Always look for specials and clearance items when shopping for groceries at Woolworths and Coles. Some items get marked down by 95% if nearing expiry dates!
9) Dine out on Cheap Tuesdays when there are great offers on meals and take-away
10) Buy the Travel cards.For example the GoCard in Brisbane or Myki Card in Melbourne

I wish all new Migrants a soft landing and a great start!

------------------------------------------------
VISA GRANT PROCESS - TIME STAMP

12.SEP.2013 - EOI Submitted
26.OCT.2013 – Medicals completed
28.OCT.2013 - Visa Application Submitted
04.DEC.2013 - Applied for Police Clearance
03.JAN.2014 - Police Clearance Received
06.JAN.2014 - PR Visa Granted for me and my partner
23.AUG.2014 - Moved to Australia
----------------------------------------------------
Thanks!! very useful stuff..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good tips. I'd add a few:

- Buy a Costco membership ($60) if you're staying near one. Initially you'll buy a lot of stuff so the membership cost will pay for itself and you'll save significantly compared to Aldi, Coles & Woolworths. Last week I purchased $150 worth of stuff and compared the same products to Coles (some even on Specials) and I figured that I'd saved $20 in just one visit.

- Don't buy Optus or Telstra seeing the ads everywhere. Amaysim, Aldi Mobile, Woolworths are good choices.

- SpinTel is a great broadband provider & cheapest —$50/m including line rental & no contract.

- Bingle is the best and cheapest for car insurance.

- Keep receipts and boxes of every major purchase, you can always return it. People here are very nice, so just make sure you don't misuse this one. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you check TPG reviews? Or Telstra? Or Optus?

Internet is filled with negative reviews. Happy customers hardly ever bother to leavw a positive reviews,thats a big problem. Check Spintel reputation on Whirlpool forums. They are cheapest and good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you check TPG reviews? Or Telstra? Or Optus?

Internet is filled with negative reviews. Happy customers hardly ever bother to leavw a positive reviews,thats a big problem. Check Spintel reputation on Whirlpool forums. They are cheapest and good.
In a way agreed.
Mind sharing your package details like the speed you get, data cap and the amount you pay for it.
This is also a very good read
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...why_is_australian_internet_so_bad_and_why_is/

·
Registered
409 Posts
12-13mbps down/600-800kbpa up.
400GB/month
$49.99/m total inc line rental.
No contract.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Buy a second-hand / new push-bike and bike down to work or to other places. Not only does it keep you fit but also saves on petrol cost.

While filling petrol, check for deals. Some petrol stations offer 4 cents discount on Woolworths cards.

Check the back of the Woolworths / Coles receipt. You will find some deals which might be helpful

·
Registered
45 Posts
Moving soon to OZ

Thanks a lot for this helpful tips. I'm moving next March to OZ with my wife and 2 children. I'm really confused and stressed as i have almost no idea about how to manage many of the basic needs of us there. I would really appreciate if you can help me with.

Firstly: My daughter is 8 years old and she is in grade-3. Will she be able to directly join the schools in OZ? What papers do i need to arrange? and when does the semester starts and ends in OZ?

Second: My wife is pregnant, that is why we will move together coz i can't leave her alone. Now, how could i manage the medical care in OZ? do we have insurance?

Please help me with these two items, coz i'm really confused>

Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Response inline
Thanks a lot for this helpful tips. I'm moving next March to OZ with my wife and 2 children. I'm really confused and stressed as i have almost no idea about how to manage many of the basic needs of us there. I would really appreciate if you can help me with.

Firstly: My daughter is 8 years old and she is in grade-3. Will she be able to directly join the schools in OZ? What papers do i need to arrange? and when does the semester starts and ends in OZ?
Yes, she can join school within one day as long as she has the required immunisation done. You may need the certificate of the shots she's had.

Second: My wife is pregnant, that is why we will move together coz i can't leave her alone. Now, how could i manage the medical care in OZ? do we have insurance?
You may have challenges here. Medicare does support but you won't be able to choose your own doc and be treated as a public patient. You'll have to take up Private insurance within the first year but they usually have 12-18 months waiting period for pregnancy & child births.

Please help me with these two items, coz i'm really confused>

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Response inline
Thanks Ramshkd.

This is really helpful info. Furthermore, can you tell me what is the schooling time in OZ? Here in gulf area schools start in September and ends in July, How about Australia??

Also, regarding Medical, i don't understand what is meant by waiting 18 months period. Do you mean i can't be covered by the medical insurance till i complete 12 - 18 months?
And if Yes, then what should i do at the delivery time? and how much will it cost me roughly if the delivery will be on my own cost??

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The schools here start in the last week of January. They have ten weeks working and then a term break. In all they operate for 40 weeks, 6 weeks of Christmas leave and 6 weeks of term breaks spread over the year.

What visa are you on? If you are covered by Medicare, all your expenses of delivery will be paid - you will be treated as a public patient in a public hospital. That said, the public hospitals here are fantastic and you won't need to go to a private hospital at all.

The way private insurance works here is that they have a waiting period of 12 months for pregnancy to be covered. Since your wife is pregnant already, you won't be covered. The cost of treatment depends on the simplicity / complication of the delivery and can start from $2000 onwards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The schools here start in the last week of January. They have ten weeks working and then a term break. In all they operate for 40 weeks, 6 weeks of Christmas leave and 6 weeks of term breaks spread over the year.

What visa are you on? If you are covered by Medicare, all your expenses of delivery will be paid - you will be treated as a public patient in a public hospital. That said, the public hospitals here are fantastic and you won't need to go to a private hospital at all.

The way private insurance works here is that they have a waiting period of 12 months for pregnancy to be covered. Since your wife is pregnant already, you won't be covered. The cost of treatment depends on the simplicity / complication of the delivery and can start from $2000 onwards.
Thanks a lot Huss81.

I'm coming on Visa 189. so will it be covered by Medicare?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wife pregnant

Thanks a lot Huss81.

I'm coming on Visa 189. so will it be covered by Medicare?

Thanks
Brother I am also on the same boat my wife is 5 month pregnant and i will move his november and as far as i know medicare will cover our expense . I am also waiting some seniors experience. By the way which city you are planning and when ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brother I am also on the same boat my wife is 5 month pregnant and i will move his november and as far as i know medicare will cover our expense . I am also waiting some seniors experience. By the way which city you are planning and when ?
I'm planning to settle in OZ in March 2017. But I still searching about which city to settle in. I'm an electrical engineer and I hear negative reports about electrical opportunities that's why I'm still very confused n hesitating about the city. But I think Brisbane or Adlaide may be the destination.
I'm searching day n night for any electrical engineer who posted about job vacancies there, but rarely u could find someone.😢😢😢

·
Registered
1 Posts
M.elbermawy..............Schools starts in January, so moving in March is completely bad idea....check this website ,,it has all the data you need to know ...NSW Public Schools Home Page

Also, why you don't target big cities in OZ to move in to, like Sydney and Melbourne, since the opportunities in big cities are much more than other mid size cities.

Regarding your wife, nothing to worry about at all, Medcare and public hospitals in OZ in more than perfect, you don't need any private insurance... I'm taking from experience with my friend's wife in Sydney.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts