Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Your maths is all wrong. To reach interstellar speeds you start from zero and spend much time just accelerating to your cruising velocity, then you spend as much time again de-ecelerating. There's no point sailing past your destination at 80,000 miles a second. So you can nearly double or more your time estimate.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gard D

I am calculating light speeds. We can't even close close to that speed. Light speed doesn't slow down in space. If we had the capability to build such a space ship then we would be able to slow it down when reaching the destination. Interstellar speeds has nothing to do with light speeds at 186,000 miles per second. Also, interstellar space is a vacuum and that area is between star systems.

Voyager 1 was launched in 1977 and reached interstellar space in 2012. It will take another 40,000 years for voyager1 to reach another star.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
Some astronomers believe the universe wraps around and comes back here, that it doesn't go forever out into space. I wonder what is the correct answer? It would be hard to believe the universe would go forever and have no end to it. Maybe it does wrap around and comes back to this point in time. Can that question ever be answered?

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
I often wonder how the universe was ever created. I know the experts talk about the big bang. I don't believe in that. We can only see about 13 billion light years away. How far does the universe go??? What created this universe? We have civilizations out there that we will never meet. the distance is to great. Example: A planet with life on it at 13 billion light years away is unreachable even at light speed. Einstein said we can never go faster then the speed of light. If that is so, then we have to bend time and make the distance shorter.

art

·
Super Moderator
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
When I was a kid 70's, the belief or understanding was that there should be millions of habitable planets but over the years that theory seems to have changed because it takes several factors in order for a planet to thrive like Earth.

·
Registered
478 Posts
hey Mark,
I agree but the universe is so large there has to be other life forms out there. We can't have a billion planets and not have other life. It is unrealistic to even think that. the only problem is knowing they are there. the distance is so great that speed will never find them. There has to be a way to alter time travel. that will be the solution to traveling through space. It doesn't take a genius to know speed will never get us there when the closet star system is Alpha Centauris and it takes 4 lights years to get there. light speed is 186,000 mps.

art

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well they could be like David Attenborough...inquisitive and eager to study us without harm.

But I'm more inclined to think they'd be like these two knobs...

View attachment 100877
That's a wonderful photo of some nice hard working, fully employed famous Americans enjoying their hunting outing.

Well let's hope whatever they find that they aren't similar to the "duke of children shaggers" like your prince. One of the many unemployed misfits of "YOUR" monarchy is finally headed for court.

Jan 12, 2022
Product Smile Font Art Circle

Smile Joint Shoulder Muscle Fashion

Article: Andrew WILL face court battle with Virginia as judge rules against him

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Mark,

there are suppose to be over 100 billion planets out there. There is no way we are the only living being in this universe. the problem is the distance is to great for us to detect other life forms. Hopefully, this new telescope we have just launch will see things we never thought possible. this telescope is 100 times stronger then the other one launched 30 years ago. No matter if we could detect other life forms how would be ever contact them when it is millions of light years away?

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why would we be the only living civilization in this universe with billions of planets out there?? Like said there has to be other living life form but can we ever meet them??? the distance is beyond our reach outside our solar system.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
Like I said before speed will never get us into space to meet other life forms. If we could ever do the speed of light (186,000 mps) and go to our closet star system (alpha Centarius) it would still take us more then 4 years to get there. Got to remember going that fast we have to start slowing down before ever reaching that system. The only way we are going to meet other civilizations will have to be shortening time travel. I don't believe we will ever be able to travel at 186,000 miles per second. So, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out speed is out of the question. They got to figure out if we can warp time and travel that way.

art

·
Registered
880 Posts
Like I said before speed will never get us into space to meet other life forms. If we could ever do the speed of light (186,000 mps) and go to our closet star system (alpha Centarius) it would still take us more then 4 years to get there. Got to remember going that fast we have to start slowing down before ever reaching that system. The only way we are going to meet other civilizations will have to be shortening time travel. I don't believe we will ever be able to travel at 186,000 miles per second. So, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out speed is out of the question. They got to figure out if we can warp time and travel that way.

art
I just watched the series https://www.netflix.com/title/81018709 Highly recommend watching it.

They seem to have it almost figured out but are still "allegedly" in the reverse engineering phase.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Joe,

If there are alien beings on earth then they are much more advanced then we are here. We would be like the stone ages. Time travel has to be much shorter then speed itself. I still say speed will not get us far enough out there to me other civilizations. Even our closet star system is Alpha Centarius and it will take us 4 years to get there at light speed. I don't believe we will ever be able to travel at 186,000 miles per second. that is the speed of light.

art

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can't imagine why they would spend so much time and money on a telescope to look into the past or future. I don't believe we will ever meet other civilizations out there. I say again the distance is to great even at light speed to reach other galaxies. I am not a rocket expert but what development could we create to travel at 186,000 miles per second???? Even at that speed we could never reach other galaxies in our life time. Now if the other civilizations has a way to get here, then we could meet them.

art

21 - 39 of 39 Posts