Faster student visa processing in New Zealand announced

by Ray Clancy on June 22, 2012

International students using NZSA can have visas processed within 10 working days

A Memorandum of Understanding signed by Immigration New Zealand and Education New Zealand will improve visa processing times for international students wanting to study in New Zealand, it is claimed.

International students who use a New Zealand Specialist Agent (NZSA) will have their visa applications processed within 10 working days, according to Immigration New Zealand.

There will also be a dedicated point of contact within Immigration New Zealand branches for NZSA members, education agents recognised as New Zealand education specialists.

Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Minister Steven Joyce said that the move is a good example of government agencies working more closely together to support the international education industry to grow.

‘The international education industry is worth just over $2 billion to New Zealand’s economy. It is a bridge between New Zealand and the world. We want to double the economic and social benefits that international education brings over the next 15 years,’ he said.

‘Only by the Government working closely with the sector, and developing initiatives such as this that support growth, will we achieve that goal,’ he added.

Immigration Minister Nathan Guy said that it will also see an enhanced role for Immigration New Zealand in the operation of the NZSA programme.

‘Immigration New Zealand plays a key role in facilitating the entry of around 100,000 international students who come here each year,’ he added.

Overseas student who are studying for more than three months need a visa in New Zealand and the course must meet certain requirements including being approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.

If you are enrolling on a course for the first time you need to have an offer of a place and supply details of it and whether or not there are fees to pay.

You don’t need a visa if you are a citizen of New Zealand or Australia, you hold a New Zealand residence class visa, or you are the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. If there are conditions on your Australian permanent residence visa or resident return visa, then you will need to apply for a student visa.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

dencio November 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Got an offer of place in BOP polytech and have been declined by the INZ (They told me I was not academically fit for the program, what!?)


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: