Newbee here. Advice needed, Student visa to H1B visa.

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Americas > USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA

USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA The USA Expats forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make the USA their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in the United States to meet and discuss all aspects of their new way of life.

Newbee here. Advice needed, Student visa to H1B visa.


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24th February 2009, 09:10 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
volton123 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Smile Newbee here. Advice needed, Student visa to H1B visa.

Hi everyone,
I am new to this, i have read numerous threads on this website and found them very helpful. I am 20 years old, and my dream for a long time has been to leave the UK and move to the USA. I'm in my last year of my economics degree, for which i spent a year in University of Maryland. I'm planning to study for my masters degree in USA. But i've read on this site, that it may be possible to transfer from student visa to H1B visa, to gain residency and be able to work in the USA. Is this possible to do after ive completed my masters?
Also i just wanted an opinion on weather me studying in USA for part of my degree and masters is going to aid me in anyway to getting to my dream, of moving to the states. As ive said before i have read numerous threads on this site, and now how difficult it can be to move over there, but im determined to do this by the time i'm 25.
Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25th February 2009, 04:49 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0
Robogirl is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from denmark. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Hi there

My guess is, that you can't get a H1B before you're graduated, however, you can get your master on the F1 visa, then apply for jobs, I think you're allowed to work one year on a student visa, once you have some work experience, you should be able to be sponsored for a H1B visa, and when you have your H1B you can apply for a green card.

This is how I understand the system, correct me if I am wrong ;-)

- Mette

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25th February 2009, 05:08 AM
Fatbrit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ, US of A
Posts: 3,212
Rep Power: 4945
Fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogirl View Post
This is how I understand the system, correct me if I am wrong ;-)
Sounds round about there to me. A lot of "ifs" but it's definitely a plan.

__________________
Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE. - Sid Vicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26th February 2009, 08:51 AM
xarp's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
xarp is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from germany. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogirl View Post
Hi there

My guess is, that you can't get a H1B before you're graduated, however, you can get your master on the F1 visa, then apply for jobs, I think you're allowed to work one year on a student visa, once you have some work experience, you should be able to be sponsored for a H1B visa, and when you have your H1B you can apply for a green card.

This is how I understand the system, correct me if I am wrong ;-)

- Mette
Hi,

I think you are wrong in few things. ;o) The F1 visa doesn't allow you to legally work, except of on-campus jobs and maximum of 20 hours per week.
After you finish your school year - you have 1 month to leave USA on the F1 visa.

However you can apply for tourist visa and be able to stay another half year for example.

I don't know anything about H1B visa though.

xarp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26th February 2009, 03:37 PM
Fatbrit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ, US of A
Posts: 3,212
Rep Power: 4945
Fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarp View Post
Hi,

I think you are wrong in few things. ;o) The F1 visa doesn't allow you to legally work, except of on-campus jobs and maximum of 20 hours per week.
After you finish your school year - you have 1 month to leave USA on the F1 visa.

However you can apply for tourist visa and be able to stay another half year for example.

I don't know anything about H1B visa though.

xarp
Basically wrong. You can indeed do limited work on campus with an F1. But robogirl was referring to OPT after you complete your studies. This offers you the chance to find an employer for a year who may want to sponsor you.

The tourist visa stuff is a red herring. You can't apply for a visa in the country.

Xarp, if you really don't have a clue, please don't just guess. It's hard work for everyone else having to go and correct your misleading statements.

__________________
Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE. - Sid Vicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26th February 2009, 04:57 PM
xarp's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
xarp is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from germany. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbrit View Post
Basically wrong. You can indeed do limited work on campus with an F1. But robogirl was referring to OPT after you complete your studies. This offers you the chance to find an employer for a year who may want to sponsor you.

The tourist visa stuff is a red herring. You can't apply for a visa in the country.

Xarp, if you really don't have a clue, please don't just guess. It's hard work for everyone else having to go and correct your misleading statements.
Fabrit, Fabrit. I still don't understand your problem. You are attacking me on almost every post I write and I don't think that it is necessary.

I was correcting Robogirl, because she said: "I think you're allowed to work one year on a student visa" - and explaining her the limitations of F1 visa. And that is TRUE. I didn't say anything about H1B visa, since I don't know it.

For the tourist visa, for sure you should apply in your original country before leaving. You can get both visas (F1 and B1 - tourist). After finishing a year at university you can change your visa status from the F1 to B1 (tourist visa).
You might need to cross the boarders to do this. Leave the country on F1 and come back on B1.
I know what I am saying, because I have done this. Exactly the way I described it.

And Fabrit, if you don't have a clue about this don't correct my posts, alright??! I am just helping people, you seem to be just attacking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26th February 2009, 05:10 PM
Fatbrit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ, US of A
Posts: 3,212
Rep Power: 4945
Fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarp View Post
Fabrit, Fabrit. I still don't understand your problem. You are attacking me on almost every post I write and I don't think that it is necessary.

I was correcting Robogirl, because she said: "I think you're allowed to work one year on a student visa" - and explaining her the limitations of F1 visa. And that is TRUE. I didn't say anything about H1B visa, since I don't know it.

For the tourist visa, for sure you should apply in your original country before leaving. You can get both visas (F1 and B1 - tourist). After finishing a year at university you can change your visa status from the F1 to B1 (tourist visa).
You might need to cross the boarders to do this. Leave the country on F1 and come back on B1.
I know what I am saying, because I have done this. Exactly the way I described it.

And Fabrit, if you don't have a clue about this don't correct my posts, alright??! I am just helping people, you seem to be just attacking.
I'm correcting you because you are giving advice with very little knowledge. This is a dangerous thing to do.

To explain again, after you have completed a degree at an American university, the US government in its infinite wisdom gives you the option of a year's work here to allow you to sell yourself to employers who might want to sponsor you. That is what robogirl was referring to. I'm sorry you haven't heard of it but you need to do more reading and a little less writing if you are going to contribute to questions of immigration. Otherwise, some poor sod (me in this case!) has to write lines and lines correcting your misconceptions rather than making progress.

The B1 is not a tourist visa. However, the visa you are referring to is normally issued as a package - B1/2. One should not apply for it without knowing the consequences if one holds a passport from a VWP country. Nor should one apply for change of status from F1 to B2 in the US without knowing the consequences. Nor will the visa prove any particular use the the OP and his/her dilemma. As I said....a total red herring.

__________________
Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE. - Sid Vicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27th February 2009, 02:32 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 0
synthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond repute
13 likes received

Default

Fatbrit - I thought the purpose of allowing new graduates from US universities to work for a year was to give them a US 'internship' before returning to their own countries, and that the reason they allow companies to hire these people after the year is that no one wanted to hire anyone they knew they couldn't keep. Not that it matters. But your point of what amounts to a really long interview is interesting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27th February 2009, 05:31 AM
Fatbrit's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ, US of A
Posts: 3,212
Rep Power: 4945
Fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond reputeFatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
16 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthia View Post
Fatbrit - I thought the purpose of allowing new graduates from US universities to work for a year was to give them a US 'internship' before returning to their own countries, and that the reason they allow companies to hire these people after the year is that no one wanted to hire anyone they knew they couldn't keep. Not that it matters. But your point of what amounts to a really long interview is interesting.
Who knows what goes through the minds of our elected representatives as they cast their vote!

__________________
Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but donít let them take you ALIVE. - Sid Vicious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 1st March 2009, 05:40 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,523
Rep Power: 0
synthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond repute
13 likes received

Default

Minds?????????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visa advice needed please ; ) ciacciom Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 3 18th December 2012 03:38 AM
Some visa advice needed. Kgarner Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 17th September 2011 10:13 PM
PR visa advice needed renita Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 13 19th June 2011 02:02 PM
Advice on Tourist Visa needed! licensed2bepretty Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 1 3rd March 2011 06:28 AM
175 visa advice needed rob79 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 19th October 2008 11:48 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.