U.S.A check for the corona virus

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Americas > USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA

USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA The USA Expats forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make the USA their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in the United States to meet and discuss all aspects of their new way of life.

U.S.A check for the corona virus


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 11:43 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
americandream1 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default U.S.A check for the corona virus

how can I cash The president of U.S.A chek for the coronavirus?
I Have only U.K bank account.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2020, 06:17 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CO, USA
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
COGirl is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

How did you get a Stimulus Check? Congratulations on falling for Trump's trick btw - he fought hard against these checks and then delayed them so he could get his name on them and take credit. These checks were supposed to go to people with a SSN who are living and working in the US. If you only have a UK bank account, do you have a US social Security Number and live in the USA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th May 2020, 08:46 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 47,738
Rep Power: 23362
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10414 likes received
1515 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGirl View Post
These checks were supposed to go to people with a SSN who are living and working in the US. If you only have a UK bank account, do you have a US social Security Number and live in the USA?
Not the way the legislation was written apparently. They were to go to US taxpayers and to those receiving social security benefits even if they didn't have to file tax forms.

To have a US SSN you only need to have been born with US nationality (i.e. one parent a US citizen) or to have lived for a while in the US and worked there.

That's what happens when you don't have a national unemployment system that could have paid out a benefit to workers who lost their jobs. But it's an election year and I guess the IRS is the only Federal agency that can pay out to large numbers of potential voters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17th May 2020, 06:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CO, USA
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
COGirl is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Yeah, I haven't seen the actual 3bn pages of the legislation, only the summary. I am just curious as to how they parsed these out. That summary says as I stated above. I think anyone who is legally working in the US can get an SSN - US citizenship status aside. But you are living in US. I would think it would be impossible to be working in the US, paying taxes in the US and not have any US-based banking relationship. That said, can you deposit it in your UK account via bank app ? I would think you could also just wander to any US bank with your SSN card and drivers license and open a local account. I would also think you might be able to wander any large bank and cash it in person - although tougher with no relationship. There are many "un-banked" that will need to do this. Just start calling nearby Chase and Wells Fargo type banks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17th May 2020, 07:58 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 47,738
Rep Power: 23362
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10414 likes received
1515 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
But you are living in US. I would think it would be impossible to be working in the US, paying taxes in the US and not have any US-based banking relationship.
No I'm not. I live in France and I'm retired, drawing US SS and taking distributions from a US IRA (which is why I was still filing US taxes in 2018 and 2019). I do happen to still have a US bank account, but am thinking of closing it out. (Glad I didn't.)

Anyone with one US citizen parent has (or can have) a US social security number, even if they have never lived in the US. And if you are a US citizen you are supposed to file US income taxes, declaring your "worldwide" income (though many folks don't bother).

So, if you have a US parent and a US SSN and have at least attempted to file your tax returns (in 2018 and 2019) even if you owed no tax, you are apparently entitled to one of those checks - whether or not you have a US bank account. The problem with receiving a US check in the UK (or anywhere else outside the US) is that the bank fees for cashing a "foreign" check are pretty expensive and sometimes involve a % of the amount of the check being cashed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17th May 2020, 10:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oz
Posts: 601
Rep Power: 0
Moulard is on a distinguished road
75 likes received
16 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGirl View Post
Yeah, I haven't seen the actual 3bn pages of the legislation, only the summary.
A tad hyperbolic.

The entirety of the Act is about 300 pages.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...16hr748enr.pdf

Don't want to read it all? jump to ...

‘SEC. 6428. 2020 RECOVERY REBATES FOR INDIVIDUALS.

It is only about 5 pages...

OK the whole of Sub-title A (covering changes to unemployment benefits) and Sub-title B (covering Rebates) is a bit longer than that if you cared to read all of the individual provisions.

Quote:
These checks were supposed to go to people with a SSN who are living and working in the US.
If you read it for yourself, you will see that was not the legislative intent.

If that was the legislative intent they, could have done it by adding less than 100 characters to the act under s. 6428 paragraph (D) ... even less if they wanted to exclude American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, The US Virgin Islands, etc.

(4) A US person who has a tax home without the United States, its Territories and Possessions..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2020, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,347
Rep Power: 30898
twostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond reputetwostep has a reputation beyond repute
345 likes received
13 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in usa.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
No I'm not. I live in France and I'm retired, drawing US SS and taking distributions from a US IRA (which is why I was still filing US taxes in 2018 and 2019). I do happen to still have a US bank account, but am thinking of closing it out. (Glad I didn't.)

Anyone with one US citizen parent has (or can have) a US social security number, even if they have never lived in the US. And if you are a US citizen you are supposed to file US income taxes, declaring your "worldwide" income (though many folks don't bother).

So, if you have a US parent and a US SSN and have at least attempted to file your tax returns (in 2018 and 2019) even if you owed no tax, you are apparently entitled to one of those checks - whether or not you have a US bank account. The problem with receiving a US check in the UK (or anywhere else outside the US) is that the bank fees for cashing a "foreign" check are pretty expensive and sometimes involve a % of the amount of the check being cashed.
This is not a correct statement. If a parent does not satisfy residency requirements the child is not eligible for US citizenship.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2020, 02:25 PM
Bevdeforges's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: deepest, darkest Essonne
Posts: 47,738
Rep Power: 23362
Bevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond reputeBevdeforges has a reputation beyond repute
10414 likes received
1515 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in france.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostep View Post
This is not a correct statement. If a parent does not satisfy residency requirements the child is not eligible for US citizenship.
Correct, you are. But having one US parent who married a "foreigner" is a very common situation in many parts of the world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19th May 2020, 11:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 727
Rep Power: 150
Meritorious-MasoMenos will become famous soon enough
295 likes received
176 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in mexico.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevdeforges View Post
Not the way the legislation was written apparently. They were to go to US taxpayers and to those receiving social security benefits even if they didn't have to file tax forms.

To have a US SSN you only need to have been born with US nationality (i.e. one parent a US citizen) or to have lived for a while in the US and worked there.

That's what happens when you don't have a national unemployment system that could have paid out a benefit to workers who lost their jobs. But it's an election year and I guess the IRS is the only Federal agency that can pay out to large numbers of potential voters.
Wow, I can see you're a person who can smell Trump voters in Walmarts or on the streets of Paris, huh?

If you followed US news, you'd know that millions of unemployed workers are getting beside their unemployment insurance, $600 weekly that will go on through mid June or mid July, I believe the latter.

There are numerous reports from employers that they can't get their workers to come back to the job, as they're making more sitting in front of TV than they received when working.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20th May 2020, 12:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oz
Posts: 601
Rep Power: 0
Moulard is on a distinguished road
75 likes received
16 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostep View Post
This is not a correct statement. If a parent does not satisfy residency requirements the child is not eligible for US citizenship.
Your statement is not actually true either.

Neither parent MUST have met the residency test (5 years in the US at least 2 of which over the age of 14)

If a child’s parent does not meet the physical presence requirement, the child may rely on the physical presence of the child’s U.S. citizen grandparent to meet the requirement.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...rt-h-chapter-5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.