Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/usa-expat-forum-expats-living-usa/)
-   -   Potential US move on the horizon (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/usa-expat-forum-expats-living-usa/107314-potential-us-move-horizon.html)

JamieNYC 26th March 2012 11:23 PM

Hi there,

Recently I was given the offer a life time to move to America to live with my dad, currently a green card holder himself and married to a US Citizen.

Now we're looking at me going to school as I'm only 18, approaching 19. We've narrowed it down to needing an F-1 Visa, and have chosen a college, which as far as I am aware is what we need to do to start the process.

I'm from the United Kingdom just like my dad, and basically I'm just wondering roughly how quick the process can be for a visa to be granted. I will be moving to New York state and will attend college in New York City if all goes well.

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

Crawford 27th March 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieNYC (Post 748142)
Hi there,

Recently I was given the offer a life time to move to America to live with my dad, currently a green card holder himself and married to a US Citizen.

Now we're looking at me going to school as I'm only 18, approaching 19. We've narrowed it down to needing an F-1 Visa, and have chosen a college, which as far as I am aware is what we need to do to start the process.

I'm from the United Kingdom just like my dad, and basically I'm just wondering roughly how quick the process can be for a visa to be granted. I will be moving to New York state and will attend college in New York City if all goes well.

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

The actual issuing of the visa is pretty quick - 1 to 2 weeks following your interview, I have been told. However it can take up to 2 months to get the interview so the quicker you start applying the better

You can enter the US, once you have the visa, up to 30 days before the start of the course.

Have you applied for and been accepted onto a course yet?

When you say that you have the chance to 'live' with your father, are you intending to remain in the States after the course? The reason I ask is because the F-1 is not an immigrant visa

Start here:

USCIS - Students and Exchange Visitors

JamieNYC 27th March 2012 09:33 AM

My dad is going to visit the college this week, and discuss all the options available. We have chosen a course so I guess they just need to accept me and go from there.

By live with my dad I mean actually live in the same household as him for a while, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to live in the US permanently forever. Hence the non-immigrant visa.

As another point of enquiry, if I do decided I like living there, my dad will be applying for citizenship very soon apparently so could I switch from a visa to say a green card while I'm still there, say like a year in on my 2 year visa?

Thanks again

Jamie

twostep 27th March 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieNYC (Post 748409)
My dad is going to visit the college this week, and discuss all the options available. We have chosen a course so I guess they just need to accept me and go from there.

By live with my dad I mean actually live in the same household as him for a while, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to live in the US permanently forever. Hence the non-immigrant visa.

As another point of enquiry, if I do decided I like living there, my dad will be applying for citizenship very soon apparently so could I switch from a visa to say a green card while I'm still there, say like a year in on my 2 year visa?

Thanks again

Jamie

Visa Bulletin For March 2012
This should give you an idea about the current processing times. Do not forget, that Green Card holders have certain obligations to fulfill.
USCIS - Green Card Processes and Procedures

JamieNYC 27th March 2012 02:15 PM

Obligations for green card holders
 
Do you have a link for such obligations which need to be fulfilled? it would be easier to see which way to go.

Thanks

Jamie

twostep 27th March 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieNYC (Post 748587)
Do you have a link for such obligations which need to be fulfilled? it would be easier to see which way to go.

Thanks

Jamie

It is all in the uscis.gov Link - from how to apply to after GC is granted.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.