Buying a house in Thailand

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand

Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand The Thailand Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Thailand their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Thailand to meet and discuss all aspects to their new Thai way of life.

Like Tree1Likes

Buying a house in Thailand


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10th August 2008, 08:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
sebaseba is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default Buying a house in Thailand

I'm interested in buying a house in Thailand to live there permanently. From what I've gathered, only the house can be under my name but not the land, which would be leased for 30 years. My questions are:

1. After those 30 years are up, what are my chances of renewing the lease and would I be paying the market value (30 years from now) for the land?

2. If for example after 3, 4 years of living there and paying my taxes, I would apply for a permanent resident card and with some luck receive it, could I transfer that land deed under my name?


Thank you all for your help and advice.

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th August 2008, 01:53 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
sebaseba is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default no one?

No one can help me with this questions? Anyone? Please.

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th August 2008, 04:46 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Khon Buri / Thailand
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
Artie is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default Buying a house in Thailand

Hello Sebaseda,

For a long time I have not been an this site, but in general it is not possible to buy a house in Thailand in your name, only a so-called condo. But there are possibilities to avoid all the legal regulations. This company is specialized in these matters is Sunbelt Asia Group in Bangkok.

With kind regards,

Aart van Wijngaarden
Khon Buri / Thailand
Mob. +66 83 966 7768

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12th August 2008, 04:56 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Khon Buri / Thailand
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
Artie is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default Buying a Thai house

Hello Sebaseda,

Sorry enough I am not allowed to mention my e-mail address, because I have not posted 4 times something on the forum. But maybe this will work, I have an e-mail account with yahoo. You can reach me there under my name aartvanwijngaarden. I hope this will help.

With kind regards,

Aart van Wijngaarden
Khon Buri / Thailand

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12th August 2008, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Currently traveling in Mexico
Posts: 2,524
Rep Power: 378
synthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond reputesynthia has a reputation beyond repute
13 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in mexico.
Default

Welcome to the forum! From everything I have read, there will never be a circumstance where you can own land in Thailand. My understanding was that there is no way to own a house, either.

__________________
My Travel Blog
Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12th August 2008, 02:16 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
sebaseba is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default

That's a shame, I was really looking forward to investing in a property and moving there. Are there no incentives for people to move and buy a house in Thailand?

What other good, safe and cheap places are there for me to consider?

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2008, 04:58 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Khon Buri / Thailand
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
Artie is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default

Hello Synthia,

Thanks for your welcome words and indeed you are right, it is impossible to have a house in your name. I have checked it this morning with a friend from Australia, who is living close to me, but you can only have 49%, the other 51% must be in Thai hands. If someone want to have information of all the legal possibilities, the best is they contact Sunbelt Asia in Bangkok, a trusted company who has all the knowhow about it.

With kind regards,

Aart van Wijngaarden (Dutch)
Khon Buri / Thailand

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2008, 05:06 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Khon Buri / Thailand
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
Artie is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default

Hello Sebaseda,
It is a pity, but a foreigner can only have 49% of a house, 51% must be in Thai hands. As I said before the best is to contact Sunbelt Asia in Bangkok, who can advise you about all possibilities to invest. But this is also a point of consideration, the areas Bangkok, Pattaya, Puket and Chiangmai are getting more and more expensive every day. I have a friend from England, who bought a condo in Pattaya for 4,8 million Baht and is now trying to sell it for much less, maybe he will accept 4 million. It is completely furnished, but building a house in the area of Nakhon Ratchasima is much cheaper. In my opinion you can have a house there for 2 million Baht, depending on your demands. It means in US $ about 60.000. I hope this information will suit you.

With kind regards,

Aart van Wijngaarden
Khon Buri / Thailand

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2008, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Spain.
Posts: 265
Rep Power: 220
rjnpenang is on a distinguished road
3 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaseba View Post
That's a shame, I was really looking forward to investing in a property and moving there. Are there no incentives for people to move and buy a house in Thailand?

What other good, safe and cheap places are there for me to consider?
Hi, Good, safe & cheap, try Malaysia, you are allowed to buy a house or condo, prices on Penang; 90,000 US dollars for a condo & 160,000 for a house. And only 90 mins up to Bangkok. Plus!, if you invest money they will give you a ten year visa. Regards Rob
Deccos likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2008, 05:57 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
sebaseba is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in thailand.
Default

Thank you all for your advice. Now even 49% wouldn't be so bad as long as there are laws in pace to protect my investment, and not have someone come an sell the other share of the house and throw me out. Are there any safeguards in place for this not to happen? Or is the other 51% owned by the government?

Also, if I guy a house, is the visa situation as complicated as opposed to just being there as a tourist?

I've looked into Malaysia but it's more expensive when it come to, well, everything.

Thanks,
Seba

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP: Buying/Renting a bar in Thailand dlm5star Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 5 7th August 2011 11:11 AM
Moving to Thailand and buying a property jayjay53 Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 6 23rd July 2011 04:40 PM
buying property in thailand puffin Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 20 23rd July 2010 07:44 AM
Buying a house Arion Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 2 30th April 2009 07:41 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.