What are the good and bad things about Spain?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree1Likes

What are the good and bad things about Spain?


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2007, 02:54 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 130
Rep Power: 0
Goldberg will become famous soon enough
5 likes received

Default What are the good and bad things about Spain?

I would like to start a thread on the positives and negatives of Spain so people have a true picture of the place, rather than emotional stories of newspaper journalism.

Good things.
1. Climate
2. Pace of life
3. Beaches
4. Lifestyle
5. Spanish People
6. Quality of life
7. Cost of living
8. Airports, easy to arrive, depart
9. Large international immigration place.
10. Language, Culture
11. Family orientated
12. Cuisine

Bad things.
1. Bureaucracy
2. Lack of jobs
3. Low incomes
4. Corruption - Town halls
5. Manana attitude - Spanish people!
6. Non diversified economy - ie. all properties, tourism related industries?
7. Language. Regional dialects. Valenciana, Basque...

Can anyone contribute or add things.
What they love and not love about Espana..Spain.
Dominic Lopecas likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2007, 05:52 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 126
Rep Power: 0
atlast is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Default

Tapas. Definitely tapas belong on the good list.

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 05:04 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0
Missty is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Love leaving my door open nearly all day
Sun shinning
Minimum crime (I come from London)

Bad things
Having to wait several years before you can truly call someone a friend
Missing my friends to breaking point
Not having a job and then when you get one they treat you like Sh--, pay you minimum wages, without a contract.

Oh well the sun shinning

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:37 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
louisebarker9879 is on a distinguished road

Default

ok, here we go!

good things-

sunshine, space, house prices,

bad things-
unbelievably low wages, everybody ignores the law, bad manners, never quiet, everything always late if ever turning up, taking three weeks to sort out something that should have taken one afternoon.

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 7th August 2007, 07:53 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 526
Rep Power: 0
Big Pete will become famous soon enoughBig Pete will become famous soon enough
6 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg Global View Post
I would like to start a thread on the positives and negatives of Spain so people have a true picture of the place, rather than emotional stories of newspaper journalism.

Good things.
1. Climate
2. Pace of life
3. Beaches
4. Lifestyle
5. Spanish People
6. Quality of life
7. Cost of living
8. Airports, easy to arrive, depart
9. Large international immigration place.
10. Language, Culture
11. Family orientated
12. Cuisine

Bad things.
1. Bureaucracy
2. Lack of jobs
3. Low incomes
4. Corruption - Town halls
5. Manana attitude - Spanish people!
6. Non diversified economy - ie. all properties, tourism related industries?
7. Language. Regional dialects. Valenciana, Basque...

Can anyone contribute or add things.
What they love and not love about Espana..Spain.
I agree with the good things, on the Bad things well

1. happens anywhere thats life i guess
2. yep lack of jobs is a problem , but good for retiring to ..
3. goes with 2
4. It goes on but it doesnt affect the man in the street
5. I have only found the opposite attitude so far , unbeleivable service in shops etc .
6. thats because the gorgeous beaches and sunshine creates that ,
7. well its not there fault we dont understand them


Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2007, 07:57 AM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5947
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
I agree with the good things, on the Bad things well

1. happens anywhere thats life i guess
2. yep lack of jobs is a problem , but good for retiring to ..
3. goes with 2
4. It goes on but it doesnt affect the man in the street
5. I have only found the opposite attitude so far , unbeleivable service in shops etc .
6. thats because the gorgeous beaches and sunshine creates that ,
7. well its not there fault we dont understand them

Not sure how you can say corruption doesn't effect the man in the street There are loads of brit home owners on verge of losing their homes in the South because of Town hall corruption

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2007, 09:12 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 526
Rep Power: 0
Big Pete will become famous soon enoughBig Pete will become famous soon enough
6 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Not sure how you can say corruption doesn't effect the man in the street There are loads of brit home owners on verge of losing their homes in the South because of Town hall corruption
Yes that is true , but its a very small percentage in very isolated towns / areas ..

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2007, 10:07 PM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5947
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Yes that is true , but its a very small percentage in very isolated towns / areas ..
Wish that were true
Its big areas such as Chiclana where huge amounts of people have been left with illegal homes due to the Town Hall turning a blind eye. Corruption is rife in Spain in main areas

Didn't the Mayor of Malaga or someone get arrested some months ago?

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2007, 10:12 PM
Hurricane's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 288
Rep Power: 2543
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from iran. Users Flag! Expat in australia.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Wish that were true
Its big areas such as Chiclana where huge amounts of people have been left with illegal homes due to the Town Hall turning a blind eye. Corruption is rife in Spain in main areas

Didn't the Mayor of Malaga or someone get arrested some months ago?
I read somewhere that Spain is the most corrupt country in Europe, is that true?

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13th August 2007, 10:15 PM
Stravinsky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oliva, Spain
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 5947
Stravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond reputeStravinsky has a reputation beyond repute
766 likes received
288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
I read somewhere that Spain is the most corrupt country in Europe, is that true?
Well I dunno about that, but its sure screwed a lot of people up and its definately not confined to isolated areas

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you hate, things you love, about Spain atlast La Tasca 214 27th October 2011 07:49 PM
Good things about UK and London zeebo Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 12 11th January 2010 02:50 AM
: 25 Good things about the UK ? : Big Pete General Expat Discussions 57 7th July 2009 09:02 AM
tell us the good things about cyprus! andrew-roper Cyprus Expat Forum for Expats Living in Cyprus 22 2nd June 2009 04:55 PM
the good things about living in Spain.. jojo Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 30 6th May 2009 07:31 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.