Can anyone tell me the best Mobile phone sim card to get ?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Can anyone tell me the best Mobile phone sim card to get ?


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 343
desres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default Can anyone tell me the best Mobile phone sim card to get ?

Hi All

I am trying to find out info on which is the best & most cost effective sim card to connect to in Spain ??

Last time i was there i got the moviestar sim .. but i found my credit was going down very fast .& i hardly used it .... i think when i got international calls i was either paying for them or something

I just want a prepaid {pay as u go} sim card .. any advice appreciated thks

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz
Posts: 1,344
Rep Power: 10928
nigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond repute
235 likes received
106 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desres View Post
Hi All

I am trying to find out info on which is the best & most cost effective sim card to connect to in Spain ??

Last time i was there i got the moviestar sim .. but i found my credit was going down very fast .& i hardly used it .... i think when i got international calls i was either paying for them or something

I just want a prepaid {pay as u go} sim card .. any advice appreciated thks
desres it depends

How long are you staying and when you leave is there anyone you can gift it to?

Further everyday there are new offers. By far best is to arrive and visit a few dealers and choose the current cheapest for your profile.

If you know people in spain with landlines or mobile contracts they also might be able to get you a trial for the period that you are there. I'm currently using a deal that my mother-in-law received as she is a movistar customer in Madrid. It lasts a year and is a very good rate but I only use it within Spain.

HTH


Last edited by nigele2; 1st February 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,426
Rep Power: 0
SteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to behold
10 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

.....been in the industry 30 years.

Good news is that the prices have absolutely collapsed. You can now get a PAYG sim for about 20euros with usually about 20 euros of free calls. (In other words the sim becomes effectively free of charge)

Which one for you? You would need to check your call patterns but Eroski, Hits, Más, Happy etc all have great offers. One thing definitely to remember if "all" your friends are on, say, Vodafone you will be best to go Vodafone too as there are usually free friends to friends offers

Today as 1st of the month there will be a rash of new offers. I´ll be studying them all.
I am sure the prices will only be going down

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 343
desres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
.....been in the industry 30 years.

Good news is that the prices have absolutely collapsed. You can now get a PAYG sim for about 20euros with usually about 20 euros of free calls. (In other words the sim becomes effectively free of charge)

Which one for you? You would need to check your call patterns but Eroski, Hits, Más, Happy etc all have great offers. One thing definitely to remember if "all" your friends are on, say, Vodafone you will be best to go Vodafone too as there are usually free friends to friends offers

Today as 1st of the month there will be a rash of new offers. I´ll be studying them all.
I am sure the prices will only be going down
Thks guy's for the fast reply ... Nigele2 .. it will be a permanant move for me .. hopefully

Steve .. this PAYG sounds good ... is this on Vodaphone network .. or other ?

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,426
Rep Power: 0
SteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to behold
10 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Vodafone - been with them for 7 years. Absolutely no problems other than their cost (up to 1500 euros per month on roaming)

They now lease their lines to other licensed resellers (Hits etc) who sell through a network of phoneshops, agents, resellers etc Telitec will give you a free sim AND a free phone on PAYG 30 euros credit. Free calls to all other Hits customer

Orange is my other preferred network and they now lease their lines to other licensed resellers (Euskatel, Blau etc) who sell through a network of phoneshops, agents, resellers etc.

Just been reading The Phone House offers (Carphone Warehouse Group) - stunning offers on all networks!

Have not got the Más offer yet (on Orange)....I´ll check

There will be another MAJOR international player arriving in the next two months who will really kick xxxx. Watch what happens in the UK too. I´ll enjoy Movistar (Telefónica) bleating ......and yet they make their profits in S.America. Goose, gander comes to mind.

Thanks for the PM,

Hope you do not mind if I answer on forum.

"Would I recommend Eroski?" No, I gave it just as a name to show impartiality. The girl on the checkout has no idea about rates, how it works, roaming etc.The rates are OK, no better, no worse than others so no real reason to use them.

"Would I recommend Yoigo?" ABSOLUTELY, if all your calls are in Spain and want a handset too. ABSOLUTELY NOT, if you call UK, Scandinavia etc. Amazing rates inside Spain and hideous international rates. They know their market and I think they will be major players.

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 343
desres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Vodafone - been with them for 7 years. Absolutely no problems other than their cost (up to 1500 euros per month on roaming)

They now lease their lines to other licensed resellers (Hits etc) who sell through a network of phoneshops, agents, resellers etc Telitec will give you a free sim AND a free phone on PAYG 30 euros credit. Free calls to all other Hits customer

Orange is my other preferred network and they now lease their lines to other licensed resellers (Euskatel, Blau etc) who sell through a network of phoneshops, agents, resellers etc.

Just been reading The Phone House offers (Carphone Warehouse Group) - stunning offers on all networks!

Have not got the Más offer yet (on Orange)....I´ll check

There will be another MAJOR international player arriving in the next two months who will really kick xxxx. Watch what happens in the UK too. I´ll enjoy Movistar (Telefónica) bleating ......and yet they make their profits in S.America. Goose, gander comes to mind.

Thanks for the PM,

Hope you do not mind if I answer on forum.

"Would I recommend Eroski?" No, I gave it just as a name to show impartiality. The girl on the checkout has no idea about rates, how it works, roaming etc.The rates are OK, no better, no worse than others so no real reason to use them.

"Would I recommend Yoigo?" ABSOLUTELY, if all your calls are in Spain and want a handset too. ABSOLUTELY NOT, if you call UK, Scandinavia etc. Amazing rates inside Spain and hideous international rates. They know their market and I think they will be major players.
Thks Steve ... a lot of info ... but i am just a mere female so .. u think telitec is best .. just local calls & pay as u go & good reception .. thats all i need

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz
Posts: 1,344
Rep Power: 10928
nigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond reputenigele2 has a reputation beyond repute
235 likes received
106 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desres View Post
Thks guy's for the fast reply ... Nigele2 .. it will be a permanant move for me .. hopefully

Steve .. this PAYG sounds good ... is this on Vodaphone network .. or other ?
desres whatever you do I would avoid any mobile/landline funny ideas. The one I experienced was sold to my mother-in-law by vodafone. They tell you the phone is a landline in your house and a mobile outside. As she lives alone this was very attractive.

Of course they didn't explain that if the excellent signal they said you had before you buy fails to materialise then you will be charged full mobile rates from within your house. They also (being Spain) ignore what might seem elsewhere reasonable consumer rights so you cannot get out without a 300 Euro penalty. They also duck responsibility for premium rate numbers assigned to your phone which you did not initiate.

But whatever enjoy your new life in spain amigo. I certainly am


Last edited by nigele2; 1st February 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,426
Rep Power: 0
SteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to behold
10 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Nigele2

Great advice ...and sadly needed.

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 1st February 2010, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 343
desres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond reputedesres has a reputation beyond repute

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Thks Nigele2 ... i will watch out for that
I dont need a handset .. just a sim on pay as u go with good reception ..

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21st February 2010, 03:09 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: El Campello
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
Campello is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Hi, I can recommend Orange, they do a sim card which when you top you with 10euro a month you get 1,000 SMS for free, more than I can send! Its also very cheap to call other orange mobiles. As others say, do a quick poll of the networks your friends are on and you'll save a lot.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobile Phone Help andys0607 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 14 30th April 2011 01:35 PM
Mobile phone inysteve Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 3 21st July 2010 09:45 AM
New Mobile Phone Senoritarita Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 1st October 2009 04:24 PM
Getting a Mobile Phone france_bound France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 6 29th January 2009 12:57 AM
mobile phone Visiva Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 8 16th November 2008 12:20 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.