Teaching English in Spain - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree15Likes

Teaching English in Spain - Page 2


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:47 AM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,645
Rep Power: 61222
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9804 likes received
9583 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Originally Posted by Caz.I View Post

I have heard that some of the CELTA courses vary in standards too. Most people, I think, do the 4 or 6 week intensive course I did the CELTA at my local further education college over 6 months, and it involved a lot of coursework, classroom observations, teaching practice and had rigorous standards (so much so that at the teaching feedback sessions every week someone usually burst into tears!).


Yes, the course is short and intensive. Some people only do this, but many people have come to this in a round about way (like myself!) and have a BEd, or PGCE or something, and many people have business experience which is hugely useful if wanting to teach in companies

TEACHING IN LANGUAGE SCHOOLS
If you teach in language schools or academies, you will probably have to teach between 4pm – 9 or 10pm, IMO, adults are less reliable because they have other commitments, and children are more reliable, because they have no choice in going! Outside of big cities, it is essential to also have a car if you are teaching in-company classes and you can earn more money teaching Business English as far as I know.


Yes, timetables are a problem. I teach in companies and typically teach 8:00 - 9:30 13:30 - 16:30 and after 18:00. In the gaps I may be able to have a phone class or do a translation. Sometimes there are all day intensives or all afternoon or something. But it is better paid - 25 - 35 euros the hour (self employed). However, I would say as well that it's normally the more experienced teachers who are employed in this kind of work. I have to use the car because there is not public transport to any of the office blocks that I work in, but I don't live in the city.

In the 6 years I have been here, I have found work through looking on the internet, some through English language newspapers, and some offers just by visiting language schools on spec, although private classes have mostly come through word of mouth. But I have to say, stable, well-paid, secure full-time jobs are rare. If you find any, let me know!

I have been in the same companies 5 yrs, 4 years and 1 yr. With phone classes I've had the same people 3yrs, 2yrs and 1 yr

Generally, I think the more qualifications and experience you have (and Spanish language skills), the better.

Yes, especially for company classes especially if you're self employed you have to talk directly to people in HR who may or may not speak English

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,426
Rep Power: 0
SteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to behold
10 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Much great information - thanks to all who have added these factual posts. I have taught and it is absolutely my least favourite occupation but fortunately for us all there are those who love what they do and are good at it. I take my hat off to you all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 24th July 2009, 09:55 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
sharont000 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

I would to thank all for info provided too. I am very interested in moving to Spain in couple of years time. I am currently qualifying to be a primary school teacher and also have hons degree in Business management. I am a single mother of 3 children however so there are many concerns regarding a move. My parents will however be moving before me so it will help if they move somewhere close to good working areas for me! Bit selfish perhaps for me but they will enjoy the children lol.

I will continue to read your posts for info and accept any advice you are willing to give me.

Many thanks

Sharon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 10:08 AM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,645
Rep Power: 61222
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9804 likes received
9583 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharont000 View Post
I would to thank all for info provided too. I am very interested in moving to Spain in couple of years time. I am currently qualifying to be a primary school teacher and also have hons degree in Business management. I am a single mother of 3 children however so there are many concerns regarding a move. My parents will however be moving before me so it will help if they move somewhere close to good working areas for me! Bit selfish perhaps for me but they will enjoy the children lol.

I will continue to read your posts for info and accept any advice you are willing to give me.

Many thanks

Sharon
WOW!
You've got a lot on your plate. Single mum, 3 kids and studying!!
At least you're not afraid of hard work!
Before your move, as you say it'll be in a coulpe of years, try to get some Spanish under your belt. The kids, depending on their ages will probably adapt to the language far easier than you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Expat
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La Pobla de Vallbona
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 0
grahunt is on a distinguished road
3 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

The best jobs in the international schools are in Primary as the staff turnover is a lot less and you can make very good friendships. Also the children being young will settle down better probably.
However remember that wages in most areas are around 1500-1700 Euros pcm for primary so make sure that your rental, purchase of property doesn't cost more than 500 pcm because if it does you would struggle to get to the end of the month unless you are seriously good at economising.
Spanish is not too important at primary level in the international schools because the teaching is all in English. However having Spanish can be an obvious advantage in so many other ways

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 06:19 PM
jojo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Worthing UK/Nerja, Spain
Posts: 33,612
Rep Power: 349576
jojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond repute
5022 likes received
5506 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahunt View Post
The best jobs in the international schools are in Primary as the staff turnover is a lot less and you can make very good friendships. Also the children being young will settle down better probably.
However remember that wages in most areas are around 1500-1700 Euros pcm for primary so make sure that your rental, purchase of property doesn't cost more than 500 pcm because if it does you would struggle to get to the end of the month unless you are seriously good at economising.
Spanish is not too important at primary level in the international schools because the teaching is all in English. However having Spanish can be an obvious advantage in so many other ways

It seems around our way the international schools are all three in one. Nursery, Primary and secondary. In fact my kids school also has a "6th form".

Jo xxx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 25th July 2009, 09:35 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
sharont000 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
WOW!
You've got a lot on your plate. Single mum, 3 kids and studying!!
At least you're not afraid of hard work!
Before your move, as you say it'll be in a coulpe of years, try to get some Spanish under your belt. The kids, depending on their ages will probably adapt to the language far easier than you
Cheers for that! yeah doing spanish too at night class but it will take a while lol

Sharon x

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 26th July 2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Expat
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La Pobla de Vallbona
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 0
grahunt is on a distinguished road
3 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default The same here Jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
It seems around our way the international schools are all three in one. Nursery, Primary and secondary. In fact my kids school also has a "6th form".

Jo xxx
But the turnover of staff is in secondary more than anywhere else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 26th July 2009, 12:06 PM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,645
Rep Power: 61222
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9804 likes received
9583 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahunt View Post
But the turnover of staff is in secondary more than anywhere else.
I wonder why?????!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 26th July 2009, 12:08 PM
jojo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Worthing UK/Nerja, Spain
Posts: 33,612
Rep Power: 349576
jojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond repute
5022 likes received
5506 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
I wonder why?????!!!!!

As the parent of two secondary school kids and three more now grown up kids.... its cos they're little *******s!!!!!!!!


Seriously tho I was wondering the same, surely secondary teachers know what they're letting themselves in for???


Jo xxxx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
tefl

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Football Coaching / Teaching English In Spain Ronan Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 4 1st October 2011 08:24 AM
Your experience teaching English in Spain LeighSanders Expat Media & Research Requests 5 9th April 2011 06:27 PM
Teaching private English classes in Spain AloraAnn Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 17 23rd July 2010 09:07 AM
Teaching English In Spain Tallulah Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 7 11th May 2010 07:41 PM
Teaching English in Spain Kate1 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 1 14th November 2009 11:54 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.