So much for noise laws....

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

So much for noise laws....


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 21,665
Rep Power: 47465
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
5402 likes received
3235 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default So much for noise laws....

Last night a local beach bar played unbelievably loud music until 3.30 a.m. Our house is about 2km away across a valley but it sounded as if we had our own sound system on full blast, even with windows closed and shutters down. People who live in the apartment complexes a few hundred metres from the bar must have been holding the furniture down.
I'm going to have a doze when I've done the chores but I pity the poor sods who had to go to work.
I read that Andalucian noise laws are quite specific about the rules regarding amplified music. It's supposed to stop at 23.00 I believe. Whilst I personally think that's a bit early for a weekend, 3.30a.m. has got to be way out of order.
What I don't understand is why the Policia Local didn't shut them down. Lights were on in many windows round here so people must have complained. I gave up on sleep and took the dog for a walk at 2.00a.m. Even he was showing signs of annoyance
Hopefully this won't go on every night or I can see myself bulldozing the shack with my trusty LR Disco.
Are these noise laws ever applied? Or are they like many other laws, simply disregarded

Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:09 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,513
Rep Power: 0
Suenneil is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
Last night a local beach bar played unbelievably loud music until 3.30 a.m. Our house is about 2km away across a valley but it sounded as if we had our own sound system on full blast, even with windows closed and shutters down. People who live in the apartment complexes a few hundred metres from the bar must have been holding the furniture down.
I'm going to have a doze when I've done the chores but I pity the poor sods who had to go to work.
I read that Andalucian noise laws are quite specific about the rules regarding amplified music. It's supposed to stop at 23.00 I believe. Whilst I personally think that's a bit early for a weekend, 3.30a.m. has got to be way out of order.
What I don't understand is why the Policia Local didn't shut them down. Lights were on in many windows round here so people must have complained. I gave up on sleep and took the dog for a walk at 2.00a.m. Even he was showing signs of annoyance
Hopefully this won't go on every night or I can see myself bulldozing the shack with my trusty LR Disco.
Are these noise laws ever applied? Or are they like many other laws, simply disregarded
Morning ..... was this a one off ? because last night was San Juan which involves beach partying! music, bbqs, bonfires and generally revellary! we live opposite Estepona beach and it was very noisy down there last night on the beach BUT FANTASTIC !!!! we knew it was a celebration and not a normal night on the beach!
Sue x

Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 21,665
Rep Power: 47465
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
5402 likes received
3235 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenneil View Post
Morning ..... was this a one off ? because last night was San Juan which involves beach partying! music, bbqs, bonfires and generally revellary! we live opposite Estepona beach and it was very noisy down there last night on the beach BUT FANTASTIC !!!! we knew it was a celebration and not a normal night on the beach!
Sue x

Aah....all is revealed....Thanks, Sue. If I'd known I'd have gone with friends and joined in instead of reading on the terrace!
My diary which has a list of public holidays didn't show anything for yesterday.
Is San Juan a local fiesta?

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:24 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 733
Rep Power: 0
SunnySpain will become famous soon enough
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
Aah....all is revealed....Thanks, Sue. If I'd known I'd have gone with friends and joined in instead of reading on the terrace!
My diary which has a list of public holidays didn't show anything for yesterday.
Is San Juan a local fiesta?
San Juan is a national celebration, not a holiday as such, just a big party

Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:26 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,513
Rep Power: 0
Suenneil is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
Aah....all is revealed....Thanks, Sue. If I'd known I'd have gone with friends and joined in instead of reading on the terrace!
My diary which has a list of public holidays didn't show anything for yesterday.
Is San Juan a local fiesta?

Here you go ...... this should help - Im always amazed at hwo the Spanish know how to party and celebrate! anything for a good time ..... and last night the atmosphere was fantastic!

The Fiestas of Spain : San Juan

Sue x

Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 21,665
Rep Power: 47465
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
5402 likes received
3235 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenneil View Post
Here you go ...... this should help - Im always amazed at hwo the Spanish know how to party and celebrate! anything for a good time ..... and last night the atmosphere was fantastic!

The Fiestas of Spain : San Juan

Sue x
That is very true. Apparently, when the music stopped, everyone went home. Just like that.No drunken shouting in the streets, no mass public brawling...
If a party like that had taken place in my UK home town, the police would have been out with dogs, riot gear etc and the local hospital A&E would have been working overtime.
Thanks for the list, Sue. Now I know what to expect, I'll be there partying too
I'm not a miserable old sod, it's just that I had no idea it was fiesta yesterday.
My ignorance

Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:35 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,513
Rep Power: 0
Suenneil is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
That is very true. Apparently, when the music stopped, everyone went home. Just like that.No drunken shouting in the streets, no mass public brawling...
If a party like that had taken place in my UK home town, the police would have been out with dogs, riot gear etc and the local hospital A&E would have been working overtime.
Thanks for the list, Sue. Now I know what to expect, I'll be there partying too
I'm not a miserable old sod, it's just that I had no idea it was fiesta yesterday.
My ignorance
lol....no worries - the first year we lived in Spain (Coin) I was convinced on more than one occasion that people were being shot in the valley opposite our place, or that a civil was in the offing ! ...... they also turned out to be "fiestas" or local "celebrations" with lots of bangers / firecrackers involved ...... we learn as we go along ! next year get your shorts on build a bonfire on the beach and have a great time !!!

Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:43 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xŗbia/JŠvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 34,953
Rep Power: 121376
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11013 likes received
4803 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
That is very true. Apparently, when the music stopped, everyone went home. Just like that.No drunken shouting in the streets, no mass public brawling...
If a party like that had taken place in my UK home town, the police would have been out with dogs, riot gear etc and the local hospital A&E would have been working overtime.
Thanks for the list, Sue. Now I know what to expect, I'll be there partying too
I'm not a miserable old sod, it's just that I had no idea it was fiesta yesterday.
My ignorance
and you'll probably find that no-one had to go to work today, either

everything is supposed to be shut - even some bars won't open again til this evening around here

Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:44 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xŗbia/JŠvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 34,953
Rep Power: 121376
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11013 likes received
4803 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suenneil View Post
lol....no worries - the first year we lived in Spain (Coin) I was convinced on more than one occasion that people were being shot in the valley opposite our place, or that a civil was in the offing ! ...... they also turned out to be "fiestas" or local "celebrations" with lots of bangers / firecrackers involved ...... we learn as we go along ! next year get your shorts on build a bonfire on the beach and have a great time !!!
our 'wake up' started at 8am this morning - lasted over an hour...............

the kids slept right through it

Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2009, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 21,665
Rep Power: 47465
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
5402 likes received
3235 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
and you'll probably find that no-one had to go to work today, either

everything is supposed to be shut - even some bars won't open again til this evening around here
Oh no......I'm out of dog food!!!! Is Carrefour Estepona open?

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ibn Battuta Gate noise anty51 Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 0 23rd March 2011 08:39 AM
Noise and other heavy stuff gerrit The Expat Forum Lounge 0 3rd December 2010 04:33 PM
Can you hear the noise? MaidenScotland Egypt Expat Forum for Expats Living in Egypt 7 18th November 2009 07:58 PM
New laws. silvers Portugal Expat Forum for Expats Living in Portugal 0 4th April 2009 10:30 AM
SouthRidge vs Burj Residences - Noise Level ? Lenochka Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 2 25th October 2008 09:07 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.