Need advice about a Mammogram at the Costa Del Sol Hospital, Marbella, Málaga please - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree9Likes

Need advice about a Mammogram at the Costa Del Sol Hospital, Marbella, Málaga please - Page 2


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 1st September 2013, 02:39 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xŕbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,397
Rep Power: 121410
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11448 likes received
5138 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
Speaking of the CdS Hospital.. I had to be taken in very late last night -Saturday - as an emergency, turned out nothing that worth bothering about.
Total time spent in hospital was roughly three and a half hours. During that time, some of which was spent in a quiet, comfortable waiting area, I saw five doctors -the first at Triage, the other four with the same doctor, I should explain, and had various tests including an ECG and an XRay.
My son, who picked me up, was amazed at how little time I was there before being told I could go home as his experiences in A and E Departments in the UK with sons with sports injuries have involved consideraly longer periods in the hospital in less pleasant conditions.
The only advice I would give is take someone with you. I refused OH's company as I was carted off in the ambulance thinking I would be there for hours and hours. I was in a wheelchair and when my name was called for the doctor or nurse it was just as well I could walk perfectly well as no-one came to push me. That was true of all the lone wheelchair-bound patients who were pushed by other patients!
I had time to make a couple of observations, one I've made before on this Forum which is that everyone who works in the Andalucian health service is young and drop dead gorgeous, both sexes. I think it must be a requirement for the job, as is exuding human warmth and compassion.
The second observation is the lack of tension ...you get the feeling you are in a very safe, controlled environment and in the care of people who view you as an individual and not a 'case'.
I can't compare with the NHS as I've never had anything much wrong with me in all my life.
One thing, though.....the importance of speaking Spanish reasonably well was brought home to me. Most of the staff had some English but as some of them were working thirty-hour shifts it seemed a bit much to expect them to make the mental effort of speaking it so I used Spanish and trusted to their skill that any linguistic mistakes I made wouldn't result in something being amputated....
I am 100% intact and reasonably compus mentis after little sleep.
Viva el Servicio Andaluz de Salud...y gracias..
thanks for posting that Mary - & I'm sure we're all glad that it wasn't anything too serious

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 1st September 2013, 02:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 22,047
Rep Power: 47497
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
6076 likes received
3590 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
thanks for posting that Mary - & I'm sure we're all glad that it wasn't anything too serious
Thanks, Xavia. I may need surgery at some point but I just wanted to assure any ancient Brit or any extranjero needing attention at the CdS and I'm sure any Spanish hospital that they will have absolutely nothing to worry about.
If I do need surgery in the near future I shall look upon it in the same way as I'd view a day shopping at Cortes Ingles followed by a good lunch....with no apprehension whatsoever and in fact with less worry about whether I'll spend more than I should on things I don't need...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 1st September 2013, 03:05 PM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,662
Rep Power: 61224
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9842 likes received
9614 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
Speaking of the CdS Hospital.. I had to be taken in very late last night -Saturday - as an emergency, turned out nothing that worth bothering about.
Total time spent in hospital was roughly three and a half hours. During that time, some of which was spent in a quiet, comfortable waiting area, I saw five doctors -the first at Triage, the other four with the same doctor, I should explain, and had various tests including an ECG and an XRay.
My son, who picked me up, was amazed at how little time I was there before being told I could go home as his experiences in A and E Departments in the UK with sons with sports injuries have involved consideraly longer periods in the hospital in less pleasant conditions.
The only advice I would give is take someone with you. I refused OH's company as I was carted off in the ambulance thinking I would be there for hours and hours. I was in a wheelchair and when my name was called for the doctor or nurse it was just as well I could walk perfectly well as no-one came to push me. That was true of all the lone wheelchair-bound patients who were pushed by other patients!
I had time to make a couple of observations, one I've made before on this Forum which is that everyone who works in the Andalucian health service is young and drop dead gorgeous, both sexes. I think it must be a requirement for the job, as is exuding human warmth and compassion.
The second observation is the lack of tension ...you get the feeling you are in a very safe, controlled environment and in the care of people who view you as an individual and not a 'case'.
I can't compare with the NHS as I've never had anything much wrong with me in all my life.
One thing, though.....the importance of speaking Spanish reasonably well was brought home to me. Most of the staff had some English but as some of them were working thirty-hour shifts it seemed a bit much to expect them to make the mental effort of speaking it so I used Spanish and trusted to their skill that any linguistic mistakes I made wouldn't result in something being amputated....
I am 100% intact and reasonably compus mentis after little sleep.
Viva el Servicio Andaluz de Salud...y gracias..
Another plus for Andalucia it seems!!
As we have often commented on the forum, I am more than happy with the SS here as they have saved my daughter's life twice (meningitis and accute appendicitis with a two week hospital stay) but have found the bedside manner sadly lacking.Drop dead gorgeous ditto.
We have been seen by pretty efficient doctors, but only one doctor in 25 years has spoken to me in English. Not that I'm complaining, just noting that some areas have more English speakers than others.

Mary, follow doctor's orders. And Sandra's!!
Enjoy what's left of the good weather, and rest all that is needed.
mrypg9 likes this.

__________________
“Nature doesn't need people. People need nature https://www.conservation.org/nature-...Id=mkjwxmcdb0E.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 1st September 2013, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 22,047
Rep Power: 47497
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
6076 likes received
3590 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Wesky View Post
Another plus for Andalucia it seems!!
As we have often commented on the forum, I am more than happy with the SS here as they have saved my daughter's life twice (meningitis and accute appendicitis with a two week hospital stay) but have found the bedside manner sadly lacking.Drop dead gorgeous ditto.
We have been seen by pretty efficient doctors, but only one doctor in 25 years has spoken to me in English. Not that I'm complaining, just noting that some areas have more English speakers than others.

Mary, follow doctor's orders. And Sandra's!!
Enjoy what's left of the good weather, and rest all that is needed.
Seriously, though, in my many visits to CdS Hospital I haven't seen one person, doctor, nurse, orderly, clerical staff, over forty-five to fifty. I honestly don't think older people could stand the stress.

Interestingly, one of the nurses to whom I mentioned how downright 'nice' everyone was said something about it being because they were Spanish...and southern.

Because I thought I'd be there for ages I took a thin but 'weighty' paperback copy of Mill's 'On Liberty'. One of the doctors passing by saw what I was reading and we had a brief conversation about British traditions of individual liberty versus 'society'. Imagine a doctor in Scunthorpe discussing Santayana with a Spanish patient! Although I guess it could happen..

Sandra isn't in much of a state to do anything herself today. She got a kick in the ribs from a fairly large dog she picked up at the perrera on Thursday and can't move without groaning. Having broken two ribs last year I sympathise.

A pair of ancianas..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 4th September 2013, 09:27 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Benalmadena
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
Minnietheminx is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default Update on Mammogram info ....

So, I went to the CDS yesterday evening for my mammogram, and thought I'd update on what actually happened, in the event that the info might be of use to someone else.

There's a lot of building and roadworks around the hospital at the moment, and there are diversions set up, but follow the signs and you'll get there eventually. It only took about five minutes to negotiate around the roadworks and diversions.

Incidentally, I was coming, by car, from Fuengirola. Anyone coming from a similar direction will need to follow the sign for 'Urgencias', drive past the entrance (unless you want Urgencias, of course!) and carry on down the road to the roundabout, and come back up the other side. The free car park has a lot of spaces, but it's very busy.

The hospital's main entrance is a couple of minutes walk away, and the main floor where the information desk is situated, is up a small flight of stairs, or there's a lift if you need it.

The girls on the information desk were very helpful and cheerful and directed me to where I needed to go, which was only a minute's walk from the main desk.

There's another desk in the area where they do the mammograms, and the girl there gave me a form to fill in, which is in Spanish. It's just basic stuff like name, address and a few other personal details, but if you don't speak Spanish, I heard the girls on the desk speaking English to other people, so I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help if someone didn't understand anything.

I was very early for my appointment. I arrived at 6pm, and it wasn't until 6.40pm, but I was seen pretty much immediately, as there were no other people waiting to be seen.

The mammogram itself took about 10 minutes, and then I had to wait outside for someone to tell me I could go.

After waiting about five minutes, I was told that there was a slight issue with my mammogram, so I had to have an echogram (ultrasound) as well, which was in the room next door to where I'd had the mammogram.

Again, I was seen almost immediately, and the examination took about two minutes.

Fortunately, it turned out that there was no problem, but the staff were certainly very thorough in establishing this, and I was told that a letter confirming my results would be sent to me within the next few days.

Every member of the medical and admin staff I met during my visit was pleasant, efficient, professional and helpful, and they all spoke English. Not that I expected them to, but they all did.

Overall, a great experience.

Min.
Pesky Wesky likes this.


Last edited by Minnietheminx; 4th September 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 4th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,662
Rep Power: 61224
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9842 likes received
9614 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnietheminx View Post
So, I went to the CDS yesterday evening for my mammogram, and thought I'd update on what actually happened, in the event that the info might be of use to someone else.

There's a lot of building and roadworks around the hospital at the moment, and there are diversions set up, but follow the signs and you'll get there eventually. It only took about five minutes to negotiate around the roadworks and diversions.

Incidentally, I was coming, by car, from Fuengirola. Anyone coming from a similar direction will need to follow the sign for 'Urgencias', drive past the entrance (unless you want Urgencias, of course!) and carry on down the road to the roundabout, and come back up the other side. The free car park has a lot of spaces, but it's very busy.

The hospital's main entrance is a couple of minutes walk away, and the main floor where the information desk is situated, is up a small flight of stairs, or there's a lift if you need it.

The girls on the information desk were very helpful and cheerful and directed me to where I needed to go, which was only a minute's walk from the main desk.

There's another desk in the area where they do the mammograms, and the girl there gave me a form to fill in, which is in Spanish. It's just basic stuff like name, address and a few other personal details, but if you don't speak Spanish, I heard the girls on the desk speaking English to other people, so I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help if someone didn't understand anything.

I was very early for my appointment. I arrived at 6pm, and it wasn't until 6.40pm, but I was seen pretty much immediately, as there were no other people waiting to be seen.

The mammogram itself took about 10 minutes, and then I had to wait outside for someone to tell me I could go.

After waiting about five minutes, I was told that there was a slight issue with my mammogram, so I had to have an echogram (ultrasound) as well, which was in the room next door to where I'd had the mammogram.

Again, I was seen almost immediately, and the examination took about two minutes.

Fortunately, it turned out that there was no problem, but the staff were certainly very thorough in establishing this, and I was told that a letter confirming my results would be sent to me within the next few days.

Every member of the medical and admin staff I met during my visit was pleasant, efficient, professional and helpful, and they all spoke English. Not that I expected them to, but they all did.

Overall, a great experience.

Min.
Wow.
A very thorough "report", which I'm sure will be of great help to others!
Glad everything turned out OK

PLease post again about other stuff.

__________________
“Nature doesn't need people. People need nature https://www.conservation.org/nature-...Id=mkjwxmcdb0E.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10th January 2014, 05:59 PM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,662
Rep Power: 61224
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9842 likes received
9614 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Following on from Minnietheminx's report about a mammogram, my own experience Dec 19th 2013. I had received a letter a few weeks before informing me that I had an appointment for a mammogram in a temporary office situated in the town. It's one that travels round every year to the towns in the region. I hadn't asked for the appointment. I arrived, was seen to by the receptionist after about 5 mins and was then told to go into a tiny room, to strip down waist up and wait to be called. This was the worst part because I was standing up semi nude for about 10 mins in a tiny space, very claustrophobic. Then I was called through by a young woman who told me what to do, was very efficient and pleasant and after that I was told that the results would come to me in the post in about 6 weeks

__________________
“Nature doesn't need people. People need nature https://www.conservation.org/nature-...Id=mkjwxmcdb0E.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10th January 2014, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cadiz
Posts: 1,294
Rep Power: 2866
Justina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond reputeJustina has a reputation beyond repute
866 likes received
3857 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Fab treatment here in Cadiz, too. I discovered a mole in April that really grew a lot and eventually visited my doc in the local clinic and from then on it was just a few weeks later that they burned it. I was told to return if I noticed it returning, but so far no.
My husband is being treated for a prostate cancer problem and I must say the treatment has been excellent. Three cheers to the system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
health, mammogram

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog walking in the Costa Del Sol - Marbella, Malaga, Benalmadena, Chiclana etc fayesawyer Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 21 20th February 2016 09:47 AM
Costa del sol Sandydaniels Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 12 31st December 2012 08:48 AM
What About Costa Del Sol? KelvinUK Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 23 11th February 2010 07:07 PM
costa blanca or costa del sol? bella73 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 20 28th October 2008 09:01 AM
Costa Del Sol marco888 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 10th April 2008 10:08 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.