ITV Cert

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree8Likes

ITV Cert


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2020, 08:12 PM
Roy C's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chichester/Casares
Posts: 771
Rep Power: 0
Roy C is on a distinguished road
542 likes received
916 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default ITV Cert

Hi
My car is over in Spain and I'm not there until September. I had my car ITV'd on June 21st 2018. I asked my mate who has the car to check the date on the green sticker. He sent a picture of it. It has a hole punched through the vi (June) then to the right of itv it has the number 20 is that the year or the date. If it was done on the 21st would it expire on the 20th
The reason I ask because the last day of the itv extension is for cars that expire on the 20th of June. After that date you need to get it tested on time and as I'm not there it wasn't done but will be on my arrival.
Thanks
Roy

__________________
Adventure before dementia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2020, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shoreham By Sea/ Xirles
Posts: 276
Rep Power: 0
Barriej is on a distinguished road
146 likes received
95 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Hi
My car is over in Spain and I'm not there until September. I had my car ITV'd on June 21st 2018. I asked my mate who has the car to check the date on the green sticker. He sent a picture of it. It has a hole punched through the vi (June) then to the right of itv it has the number 20 is that the year or the date. If it was done on the 21st would it expire on the 20th
The reason I ask because the last day of the itv extension is for cars that expire on the 20th of June. After that date you need to get it tested on time and as I'm not there it wasn't done but will be on my arrival.
Thanks
Roy
I believe that even if you take advantage of the 'extension' the ITV will still run out on the date it would have, if you had the ITV done at the correct time.

Don't know what happens if its late though in Spain, in the UK it doesn't matter. My car ran here had no mot for about 14months as it was in pieces. when i took it in i got a full year from the test date.

Mine isn't due till sometime this month, the dealer I got the car from is doing mine.
Roy C likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2020, 10:51 PM
Overandout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madrid 2004 - 2013, Bangkok 2013 - 2016, Madrid 2016 - ?
Posts: 2,432
Rep Power: 272
Overandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to behold
2464 likes received
1295 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

The sticker only shows the month and year of expiry, so yours expired last month.

But if nobody is driving it I wouldn't worry. Just get it taken to the test center on a truck next time you're over.
Roy C likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2020, 10:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shoreham By Sea/ Xirles
Posts: 276
Rep Power: 0
Barriej is on a distinguished road
146 likes received
95 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overandout View Post
The sticker only shows the month and year of expiry, so yours expired last month.

But if nobody is driving it I wouldn't worry. Just get it taken to the test center on a truck next time you're over.
Interesting. Are you not allowed to drive to the nearest test centre in Spain then?
Another difference between countries...
Roy C likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 1st July 2020, 11:32 PM
Overandout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madrid 2004 - 2013, Bangkok 2013 - 2016, Madrid 2016 - ?
Posts: 2,432
Rep Power: 272
Overandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to behold
2464 likes received
1295 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriej View Post
Interesting. Are you not allowed to drive to the nearest test centre in Spain then?
Another difference between countries...
Technically no.. But seeing as an estimated 2 million vehicles are on the road in Spain without a current ITV, the chances of being caught appear to be pretty slim...
Roy C likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:56 AM
Brangus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Albacete
Posts: 382
Rep Power: 250
Brangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond reputeBrangus has a reputation beyond repute
211 likes received
198 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

We had an ITV done at the end of May, and found that in "the new normal" you can no longer show up at the testing center without an appointment. Others might operate differently, so check the website of the business where you plan to take the car.

Once we made an appointment, we received e-mail confirmation of the date and time. If the police were to stop you on the way to be tested, this e-mail would be proof that you really are on the way to have it done.

If you are flying back to Spain in September, you might keep your boarding pass with you as well, as evidence that you have just arrived and couldn't get to a testing center earlier.

The ITV people won't report you for being late.
Roy C likes this.

__________________
En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:51 AM
Roy C's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chichester/Casares
Posts: 771
Rep Power: 0
Roy C is on a distinguished road
542 likes received
916 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brangus View Post
We had an ITV done at the end of May, and found that in "the new normal" you can no longer show up at the testing center without an appointment. Others might operate differently, so check the website of the business where you plan to take the car.

Once we made an appointment, we received e-mail confirmation of the date and time. If the police were to stop you on the way to be tested, this e-mail would be proof that you really are on the way to have it done.

If you are flying back to Spain in September, you might keep your boarding pass with you as well, as evidence that you have just arrived and couldn't get to a testing center earlier.

The ITV people won't report you for being late.
Thanks Brangus, that's really useful and based on that I've decided, I'll get my mechanic to book it in for the day after I arrive in Estepona, I'll bring the car from my mates that morning to my house, to pick up the log book (which I think I'll need) and bring the car straight to the mechanic for a quick service and then hopefully an afternoon test.

__________________
Adventure before dementia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:55 AM
Overandout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madrid 2004 - 2013, Bangkok 2013 - 2016, Madrid 2016 - ?
Posts: 2,432
Rep Power: 272
Overandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to beholdOverandout is a splendid one to behold
2464 likes received
1295 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Thanks Brangus, that's really useful and based on that I've decided, I'll get my mechanic to book it in for the day after I arrive in Estepona, I'll bring the car from my mates that morning to my house, to pick up the log book (which I think I'll need) and bring the car straight to the mechanic for a quick service and then hopefully an afternoon test.
Just be aware that what Brangus suggests does not make your plan legal!

It might increase your chances of getting away with it if stopped by a GC in a good mood, but in case of an accident you'd struggle I think.
Roy C likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2020, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Quesada
Posts: 413
Rep Power: 0
MataMata is on a distinguished road
123 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriej View Post
Interesting. Are you not allowed to drive to the nearest test centre in Spain then?
Another difference between countries...
Such a Brit comment, why WOULDN'T it be different

The sticker only tells you the month and year of expiry, for the actual date you need to look in the Fiche Technica and on the label which was attached to it at the last ITV.

The last day for ITV extensions was June 21st. the date of the the lifting of the state of Alarm. For an ITV expiring on the 21st. you have until Feb. 19th 2021 to renew but the ITV will be backdated to June 22nd.

Note that many ITV stations are insisting that drivers speak Spanish and are turning away those who do not even if they have appointments.

Roy C and Overandout like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shoreham By Sea/ Xirles
Posts: 276
Rep Power: 0
Barriej is on a distinguished road
146 likes received
95 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MataMata View Post
Such a Brit comment, why WOULDN'T it be different
Im going to take this as a tongue in cheek comment.

I would have thought that such things were governed by EU regulations.

Ive driven and have experience of the roadworthy tests in about 20 countries and all bar 3 I can think of allow you to drive to the local test centre, even when out of date.

And yes I am British, does that make me a second class citizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.