Residencia refused - Alicante - Page 4

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree36Likes

Residencia refused - Alicante - Page 4


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 26th December 2019, 01:30 PM
Love Karma's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Nerja
Posts: 351
Rep Power: 0
Love Karma is on a distinguished road
310 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
As said, some town halls used to encourage one to register on their Padrón even if they only had a holiday property in the town. Their incentive was that they get a subsidy from central government for people so registered. However, legally one is only allowed to register on the padron if they are resident in the town. The padron is the list of residents one owners !

One town hall which used to encourage holiday property owners to register, now are insisting one must be resident in the town. So if one has their main residence anywhere in the world outside the town, they cannot register on their padron
But what if its a "couple"

__________________
Mike

Last edited by Love Karma; 26th December 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 7th January 2020, 02:49 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calpe
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
Glynb is on a distinguished road
10 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
As said, some town halls used to encourage one to register on their Padrón even if they only had a holiday property in the town. Their incentive was that they get a subsidy from central government for people so registered. However, legally one is only allowed to register on the padron if they are resident in the town. The padron is the list of residents one owners !

One town hall which used to encourage holiday property owners to register, now are insisting one must be resident in the town. So if one has their main residence anywhere in the world outside the town, they cannot register on their padron
Yes this is/was OUR situation. We were encouraged to be on the Padron as the Town benefits the more people it has registered. Someone from the Town Hall actually came to the house and asked us. We have not lived in Spain permanently, until now, though we've owned a property for three years. Brexit has simply made getting Residencia soon a higher priority than it otherwise would have been as we want the security and assurance.

One big concern is that the income you will need to show per individual in order to get Residencia after the Uk leaves the EU will be much higher, similar to what Canadians and Americans must show. We can't match that on our limited private means, so need to get Residencia now while we still qualify.

It appears we were misinformed regarding the Convenio Especial (getting onto the Spanish State health system) - it is in fact necessary to have been an official Resident (to have full Residencia) for a year before applying, it's one of the conditions. Merely being on the Padron is not sufficient. So we will need to buy a years worth of private medical cover (circa 230 euros a month for a couple), then next year we will apply to join the State system (about 70 euros a month each).

We can get a medical insurance certificate via email to take with us to the Residencia meeting next week.

Thank you for all the replies, sorry if I've confused anyone or raised false hopes.
Megsmum likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 7th January 2020, 02:54 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calpe
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
Glynb is on a distinguished road
10 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Here's a link to the Convenio Especial explaining the conditions. If you open it in Google Chrome, you can translate it to English.

https://www.gva.es/es/inicio/procedi...e=&id_site#p_5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 27th January 2020, 02:45 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calpe
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
Glynb is on a distinguished road
10 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default Third time lucky - YES!!!!

Cava cork will be popping tonight, finally got Residencia on third trip to Alicante.

The second visit we had paid for the private Health Insurance with AXA, but we only had the basic Certificate with us. She wanted to see all the conditions of the policy, which hadn't yet arrived

So we booked the third appointment, this time taking along every single damned document we could get from AXA (our insurance providers), plus a new bank statement showing that the money had left our account and gone to AXA.

Our meeting was at 9:20 in Alicante. Once Residency is granted, the procedure is they tell you to come back after lunch to pick up your residency card. So we had to kick our heels in Alicante for a couple of hours, had lunch, then returned to the office and waited to collect the hard earned prize...the Green card

Only fly in the ointment was my other half (German national, but has lived in UK for decades) was refused on grounds that she came along with me on the special 'UK only appointments'. Though the clerk at least checked all her documentation and said everything was in order, other than coming on the wrong meeting. The next meeting for her is not available for her in Benidorm until April! By then all her bank statements will be history and she'll need to renew them

If anyone else is in a similar position (ie not old enough to be a UK State Pensioner and not an Employee here in Spain) and wants any more information on my experience by all means ask questions here.

You can do it yourself without a Gestor as we did, but knowing a little Spanish is definitely preferable. And employing a Gestor might have saved us two extra trips to Alicante!

Now the next thing is exchanging my UK driving licence for a Spanish one BEFORE THE BREXIT DEADLINE of January 31st!!! Apparently if you don't have your application in the system before the end of January, it might be necessary to take a Spanish driving test

Anyway, that's another thread.
Overandout and Megsmum like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 21st February 2020, 06:26 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calpe
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
Glynb is on a distinguished road
10 likes received
6 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Epilogue:
My wife (German national) got her Residencia yesterday.

Originally she booked an appointment in Alicante with me and although her documentation was all in order and exactly the same as mine, was refused as she'd booked one of the extra 'Brits only due to brexit' meetings (she'd lived in UK over 30 years). I got mine.

Ok, bit annoying but at least all the paperwork was checked by the official and found to be correct. So we booked her another appointment, this time in Denia, as it was a bit closer to where we live, after all it shouldn't make any difference where you go, right?

Not so.
The official in Denia insisted that there should be an extra 'Health Certificate' (in addition to the Certificate we provided) and that our insurtance company would know all about it. Residencia Refused.

My wife told the official that her husband had already been granted Residencia with the exact same paperwork in Alicante. She wasn't for budging!

Contacted our Health Insurance company. They say there is no such certificate in existence, and we have all the documentation we are ever going to get! By this stage we're thinking we need to cancel the insurance as they promised it was suffucient to gain Residencia and it apparently wasn't, because the documentation was defective - ie not what the officials are wanting!

In the mean time a new batch of appointments becomes available in Alicante for non-Brits. So we take one, on the basis that as I was accepted there and maybe my wife will be by presenting the same documentation.

Sure enough, she was! (the official asked for a few extra photocopies this time, but there's a cafe nearby with a copier, no problem).

So here's an actual example of officials at one office asking for something that another office aren't asking for.

I do wonder if smaller offices are more sticklers than the bigger cities where they deal woith a lot more cases?

The lesson seems to be if you are sure you have all the correct documentation in place and are refused at one office repeatedly, try somewhere else, you might have more luck.
Pesky Wesky, xabiaxica and Megsmum like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 21st February 2020, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Malaga 34 years
Posts: 795
Rep Power: 1381
Juan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond reputeJuan C has a reputation beyond repute
347 likes received
29 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

From experience, I would have said if you were sure you were right, you should have demanded the complaints forms. Even with the police they work wonders. I have done it several times without it failing.

Although booking as U.K. national was your error

When U.K. nationals do not use that facility they are refused processing and must return having booked correctly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2020, 04:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Quesada
Posts: 364
Rep Power: 0
MataMata is on a distinguished road
90 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynb View Post
after all it shouldn't make any difference where you go, right?
Wrong!

Surely one of the very first things you learn about Spanish bureaucracy and that it can reach as far down as individuals and even their mood of the precise moment!
Isobella and mrypg9 like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:27 AM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 18,248
Rep Power: 61199
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9421 likes received
9218 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynb View Post
Epilogue:
My wife (German national) got her Residencia yesterday.

Originally she booked an appointment in Alicante with me and although her documentation was all in order and exactly the same as mine, was refused as she'd booked one of the extra 'Brits only due to brexit' meetings (she'd lived in UK over 30 years). I got mine.

Ok, bit annoying but at least all the paperwork was checked by the official and found to be correct. So we booked her another appointment, this time in Denia, as it was a bit closer to where we live, after all it shouldn't make any difference where you go, right?

Not so.
The official in Denia insisted that there should be an extra 'Health Certificate' (in addition to the Certificate we provided) and that our insurtance company would know all about it. Residencia Refused.

My wife told the official that her husband had already been granted Residencia with the exact same paperwork in Alicante. She wasn't for budging!

Contacted our Health Insurance company. They say there is no such certificate in existence, and we have all the documentation we are ever going to get! By this stage we're thinking we need to cancel the insurance as they promised it was suffucient to gain Residencia and it apparently wasn't, because the documentation was defective - ie not what the officials are wanting!

In the mean time a new batch of appointments becomes available in Alicante for non-Brits. So we take one, on the basis that as I was accepted there and maybe my wife will be by presenting the same documentation.

Sure enough, she was! (the official asked for a few extra photocopies this time, but there's a cafe nearby with a copier, no problem).

So here's an actual example of officials at one office asking for something that another office aren't asking for.

I do wonder if smaller offices are more sticklers than the bigger cities where they deal woith a lot more cases?

The lesson seems to be if you are sure you have all the correct documentation in place and are refused at one office repeatedly, try somewhere else, you might have more luck.
It's because each office has to interpret the rules, not just follow them, so there will be differences, unfortunately.
I think you have every right to be unhappy about the service you have received, but that's not going to make any difference, again unfortunately.
It's one of those things that you have to get over, move on from, and chalk it up to experience.
Recently I have come into an inheritance. Surely I'm not the only English person, resident in Spain to have inherited? Well, they are a little flummoxed as to what to do. It seems an appointment in Madrid is needed... Luckily OH is Spanish and is off work ATM so he's looking after it...
Overandout likes this.

__________________
“Nature doesn't need people. People need nature https://www.conservation.org/nature-...Id=mkjwxmcdb0E.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: scotland
Posts: 694
Rep Power: 1154
kaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond repute
541 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

So did you get a TIE card or just a small green laminate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: scotland
Posts: 694
Rep Power: 1154
kaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond reputekaipa has a reputation beyond repute
541 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Ahhh.. your wife is german so no TIE . My mistake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.