Free healthcare / convenio especial availability - Page 6

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree349Likes

Free healthcare / convenio especial availability - Page 6


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 21st July 2018, 05:35 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
littleweed is on a distinguished road
6 likes received

Default Progress on Universal Healthcare

Hi,
Just a quick update for those interested in recent reports of the new Governments intention to restore universal healthcare, A draft of the proposed legislation has been published and circulated to the autonomous communities who will have the responsibility of implementing it. From this draft it looks like it is the governments intention to include foreigners legally resident in Spain in the system (as well as undocumented immigrants as had been previously expected). This is confirmed by the media stories I've seen. Here's the key passage (Article 1);

"Son titulares de los derechos al la proteccion de la salud y al la proteccion sanitaria todos los espanoles y ciudanos extranjeros que tengan establicida su residencia legal en el territorio espanol".

The following page has a link to the full text (el borrador del decreto)

https://www.redaccionmedica.com/secc...universal-9918
Pesky Wesky, Alcalaina and Lynn R like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 21st July 2018, 06:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 7,296
Rep Power: 8502
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
8999 likes received
5514 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleweed View Post
Hi,
Just a quick update for those interested in recent reports of the new Governments intention to restore universal healthcare, A draft of the proposed legislation has been published and circulated to the autonomous communities who will have the responsibility of implementing it. From this draft it looks like it is the governments intention to include foreigners legally resident in Spain in the system (as well as undocumented immigrants as had been previously expected). This is confirmed by the media stories I've seen. Here's the key passage (Article 1);

"Son titulares de los derechos al la proteccion de la salud y al la proteccion sanitaria todos los espanoles y ciudanos extranjeros que tengan establicida su residencia legal en el territorio espanol".

The following page has a link to the full text (el borrador del decreto)

https://www.redaccionmedica.com/secc...universal-9918
That would be good news for any resident British citizens who may be worried about the possibility of losing S1 cover at some time in the future, either due to Brexit or if a future British Government decides it needs to save some money as they did when they withdrew residual S1s for those below retirement age, and eligibility to claim Winter Fuel Allowance. I guess UK state pensioners would continue as they are for the foreseeable future with the UK Government funding their healthcare, unless and until something changes.

But would it mean that newly arrived people below state retirement agewould still have to provide proof of comprehensive health cover (and adequate financial resources) in order to establish themselves as legal residents? From reading your link, it would seem to me that they will.
Megsmum likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 21st July 2018, 07:17 PM
Megsmum's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Extremadura
Posts: 7,798
Rep Power: 10732
Megsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond reputeMegsmum has a reputation beyond repute
4601 likes received
7320 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
That would be good news for any resident British citizens who may be worried about the possibility of losing S1 cover at some time in the future, either due to Brexit or if a future British Government decides it needs to save some money as they did when they withdrew residual S1s for those below retirement age, and eligibility to claim Winter Fuel Allowance. I guess UK state pensioners would continue as they are for the foreseeable future with the UK Government funding their healthcare, unless and until something changes.

But would it mean that newly arrived people below state retirement agewould still have to provide proof of comprehensive health cover (and adequate financial resources) in order to establish themselves as legal residents? From reading your link, it would seem to me that they will.
Good news, I’m not particularly good at these official language translations but is it saying foreigners registered have to pay 40 % of medicine costs.

I’m going to stay autonomo as I’m contributing towards my pensions here, trying to keep ducks in row.

__________________
Life without a border collie is possible but pointless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 21st July 2018, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 7,296
Rep Power: 8502
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
8999 likes received
5514 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsmum View Post
Good news, I’m not particularly good at these official language translations but is it saying foreigners registered have to pay 40 % of medicine costs.

I’m going to stay autonomo as I’m contributing towards my pensions here, trying to keep ducks in row.
Yes it does say they will pay 40% of the cost of medication - and I didn't see any lower cost for pensionistas, either (with an S1 they currently pay only 10%, with a monthly cap for those on low incomes). But I could have overlooked it.

That would be better than the Convenio Especial as people covered under that have to pay 100% of the cost of their medications.

At this stage I find it all a bit confusing, though and it raises lots of questions. Will the Convenio Especial still exist if this measure is passed? I can't see anyone wanting to pay €60 or €157 per month (depending on their age) if they can get healthcare for free.

And for those who (I am assuming) would still have to provide proof of comprehensive healthcare coverage and adequate financial resources in order to establish themselves as legal residents in the first place, could they at a later date just ditch their private health insurance and register for free healthcare? If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

And of course I suppose a future Spanish Government of a different political complexion might just change the rules back again. I don't much like the sound of the newly elected Leader of the PP.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 21st July 2018, 08:56 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,038
Rep Power: 121383
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11084 likes received
4852 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
Yes it does say they will pay 40% of the cost of medication - and I didn't see any lower cost for pensionistas, either (with an S1 they currently pay only 10%, with a monthly cap for those on low incomes). But I could have overlooked it.

That would be better than the Convenio Especial as people covered under that have to pay 100% of the cost of their medications.

At this stage I find it all a bit confusing, though and it raises lots of questions. Will the Convenio Especial still exist if this measure is passed? I can't see anyone wanting to pay €60 or €157 per month (depending on their age) if they can get healthcare for free.

And for those who (I am assuming) would still have to provide proof of comprehensive healthcare coverage and adequate financial resources in order to establish themselves as legal residents in the first place, could they at a later date just ditch their private health insurance and register for free healthcare? If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

And of course I suppose a future Spanish Government of a different political complexion might just change the rules back again. I don't much like the sound of the newly elected Leader of the PP.
I think it might happen along the lines of what happened in 2012.

If you remember, when the law was passed in the October, free healthcare for legal residents only applied to those who had been registered before April 24 2012.

I might be wrong, but I see no other way of avoiding potential health tourism.
Pesky Wesky, Lynn R and Megsmum like this.

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:01 AM
Pesky Wesky's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Madrid. Frequent visitor to Bilbao, love Asturias and Burgos
Posts: 17,936
Rep Power: 61177
Pesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond reputePesky Wesky has a reputation beyond repute
9073 likes received
8949 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleweed View Post
Hi,
Just a quick update for those interested in recent reports of the new Governments intention to restore universal healthcare, A draft of the proposed legislation has been published and circulated to the autonomous communities who will have the responsibility of implementing it. From this draft it looks like it is the governments intention to include foreigners legally resident in Spain in the system (as well as undocumented immigrants as had been previously expected). This is confirmed by the media stories I've seen. Here's the key passage (Article 1);

"Son titulares de los derechos al la proteccion de la salud y al la proteccion sanitaria todos los espanoles y ciudanos extranjeros que tengan establicida su residencia legal en el territorio espanol".

The following page has a link to the full text (el borrador del decreto)

https://www.redaccionmedica.com/secc...universal-9918
Undoubtedly good news
BUT
What is a Real Decreto?
Quote:
El Real Decreto-ley es una norma jurídica con rango de ley, propia de países con monarquía parlamentaria, que emana del poder ejecutivo y es dictada en caso de extraordinaria y urgente necesidad. Requiere de posterior convalidación o ratificación de parte del poder legislativo, habitualmente en un plazo breve.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Decreto-ley


So it's not law and won't be for some time yet as this is just a draft and it will need ratification after the Real Decreto is issued...
And also...
Quote:
El Ministerio de Carmen Montón planea otorgar un gran protagonismo a las comunidades autónomas, pues serán las encargadas de fijar los procedimientos para que las personas sin nacionalidad española y en situación irregular puedan ser atendidos: "Las comunidades autónomas, en el ámbito de sus competencias, fijarán el procedimiento para la solicitud y expedición del documento certificativo que acredite a los extranjeros para poder recibir la prestación asistencial".
So, as is usual in Spain the local authorities will have the last say, and when it comes in the requirements will vary from place to place. This is just like today to become registered as an EU resident in Spain you have to have enough money to not become a burden on the state and every local authority decides what amount that is; 600€ a month in some places, 800€ or a 100€ in others...
Another point to bear in mind is the government in power. I'm not sure if the PP were thinking of introducing similar measures, I think not. This may only go ahead if the PSOE stay in power and elections are likely before all of this goes through...
Caution is needed. If they push it through quickly, then great, but people still need to wait to find out what each local authority does. Nothing is cut and dried, but nothing is cut in stone either

__________________
“Nature doesn't need people. People need nature https://www.conservation.org/nature-...Id=mkjwxmcdb0E.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2018, 04:42 PM
stevesainty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Costa Blanca South
Posts: 482
Rep Power: 2228
stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
357 likes received
100 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...52&prev=search

2 questions

1 Is this the publication of the new law or is it still in the discussion stage.
2 If a UK citizen is a legal resident in Spain and is a) under UK state retirement age and b) is paying into the Convenio Especiál, will they need to continue paying into CE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2018, 05:05 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,038
Rep Power: 121383
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11084 likes received
4852 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesainty View Post
https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...52&prev=search

2 questions

1 Is this the publication of the new law or is it still in the discussion stage.
2 If a UK citizen is a legal resident in Spain and is a) under UK state retirement age and b) is paying into the Convenio Especiál, will they need to continue paying into CE
It has been passed.

All I can find online reporting it is this https://www.plantadoce.com/publico/l...seis-anos.html

Nothing in El País or the other biggies yet though.

As for your second question - no idea.

To be truly universal, that would mean everyone, at a quick look, it only seems to mention those who are 'undocumented' & clearly for someone to be paying into the convenio especial, they're documented (not just Brits btw - it's open to all nationalities.


Going to have a deeper read of the original now. If I come up with anything, I'll post again.
stevesainty and Megsmum like this.

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Last edited by xabiaxica; 31st July 2018 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2018, 05:19 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,038
Rep Power: 121383
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11084 likes received
4852 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
It has been passed.

All I can find online reporting it is this https://www.plantadoce.com/publico/l...seis-anos.html

Nothing in El País or the other biggies yet though.

As for your second question - no idea.

To be truly universal, that would mean everyone, at a quick look, it only seems to mention those who are 'undocumented' & clearly for someone to be paying into the convenio especial, they're documented (not just Brits btw - it's open to all nationalities.


Going to have a deeper read of the original now. If I come up with anything, I'll post again.
It's for everyone - legally registered, too.

Quote:
Article 3 c) Ser persona extranjera y con residencia legal y habitual en el territorio español y no tener la obligación de acreditar la cobertura obligatoria de la prestación sanitaria por otra vía.
Translation
Quote:
c) To be a foreigner with legal and habitual residence in Spanish territory and not having the obligation to prove compulsory coverage of health care by another means.
Although that could be taken to exclude those registering as resident who DO have to prove that they have healthcare provision.

So I was maybe correct when I guessed that it would cover those already resident.

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Last edited by xabiaxica; 31st July 2018 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2018, 05:20 PM
stevesainty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Costa Blanca South
Posts: 482
Rep Power: 2228
stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
357 likes received
100 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
It has been passed.

All I can find online reporting it is this https://www.plantadoce.com/publico/l...seis-anos.html

Nothing in El País or the other biggies yet though.

As for your second question - no idea.

To be truly universal, that would mean everyone, at a quick look, it only seems to mention those who are 'undocumented' & clearly for someone to be paying into the convenio especial, they're documented (not just Brits btw - it's open to all nationalities.



Going to have a deeper read of the original now. If I come up with anything, I'll post again.
https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ml&prev=search

Thank you xabiachica, here is the link to the English translation of the article you quoted

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
free healthcare, sip card free, spain medical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish Healthcare vs British Healthcare Kenwhite77 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 26 11th November 2012 08:01 AM
HELP Free healthcare needed soon for pre - retirement brit..... greenandpleasantland France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 27 27th April 2011 12:52 PM
Free French healthcare with just a UK state pension? georgesmiley France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 16 4th February 2011 09:03 PM
Why is healthcare not free in Australia? Halo Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 10 29th March 2010 08:27 AM
Health care, healthcare and more healthcare Zoom General Expat Discussions 18 12th March 2010 12:48 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.