Costa del sol

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree2Likes

Costa del sol


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 02:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Sandydaniels is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default Costa del sol

Greetings! We are from Dallas Texas. We are strongly considering moving to the costa del sol in Spain.I am 54 and my husband is turning 70 in june. We are semi retired, but will have an Internet business. With the unemployment rate being estimated 26pecent, we are concerned about the potential crime rate. If we live in a nice high rise secured building, how safe is it for Americans? Thank you so much for any advice. Best wishes, sandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 06:34 AM
Navas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A market town in Cambs / Una aldea de Córdoba
Posts: 500
Rep Power: 212
Navas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond reputeNavas has a reputation beyond repute
348 likes received
998 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

I would imagine Americans are as safe as anyone else who lives there

Maybe reading this thread will help : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spa...a-del-sol.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 06:38 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,483
Rep Power: 121417
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11542 likes received
5193 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandydaniels View Post
Greetings! We are from Dallas Texas. We are strongly considering moving to the costa del sol in Spain.I am 54 and my husband is turning 70 in june. We are semi retired, but will have an Internet business. With the unemployment rate being estimated 26pecent, we are concerned about the potential crime rate. If we live in a nice high rise secured building, how safe is it for Americans? Thank you so much for any advice. Best wishes, sandy


yes, as Navas says, there's no reason it should be any more or less safe for you as Americans than for anyone else


I guess you've started looking into what kind of visa you'll be applying for?

have a look at our FAQs & useful info thread - there's a section about visas for non-EU citizens

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 02:13 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Casares
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Andrew2 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Perfectly safe!!!
Subject to the usual caveats of course.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 22,072
Rep Power: 47499
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
6128 likes received
3610 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

In my rather bourgeois street of mainly large villas, mainly Spanish-occupied, every house including ours has been burgled.

There are, fortunately, no high-rises in our part of the Costa del Sol but I should think that there is no reason why Americans in particular should be more vulnerable to crime than any other nationality.

You have to understand that times are hard here, with up to 40% unemployed in our area. Normally law-abiding citizens can be driven to crime when money is short and children are hungry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 05:56 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Casares
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Andrew2 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica


yes, as Navas says, there's no reason it should be any more or less safe for you as Americans than for anyone else

I guess you've started looking into what kind of visa you'll be applying for?

have a look at our FAQs & useful info thread - there's a section about visas for non-EU citizens
We've never been burgled or had any hassle.
Mind you, we live in a fenced, gated urbanisation with 24 hour security!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 06:02 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,483
Rep Power: 121417
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11542 likes received
5193 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
We've never been burgled or had any hassle.
Mind you, we live in a fenced, gated urbanisation with 24 hour security!!!
I haven't either - but I do know of recent burglaries in just such a place as you live in, very near to my gated urb

a few years ago there was spate on my gated urb


if burglars are determined, they'll get in - & sadly, it is more frequent now

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30th December 2012, 07:50 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Casares
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
Andrew2 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Oh dear.
I'll check with our President.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 31st December 2012, 01:29 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Sandydaniels is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Greetings! Thank you all for your very helpful information! We live in a very safe suberb of Dallas Texas. We lived in orange county California for 30 years. We are in the wholesale jewelry business aand have to be very street smart wherever we travel to. One of the comments above mentioned 40percent unemployment...of course, that scares us. We would have to live in a secured high rise. My question also is this...is the police department corrupt...like in panama city, panama? I would love to live in Spain, and the costa del sol would be ideal for us weather wise, etc. We are also learning Spanish. I lived in Italy for six years as a child. I would love for us to live in Spain for a few years, maybe forever. Have there been robberies in restaurants? I hate to sound so paranoid, but my husband was held up three times in his jewelry store in Los Angeles and we just want to put the odds in our favor. How about Marbella? I greatly appreciate your help here. Cheers! Happy new year to my new Spain pals!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31st December 2012, 01:30 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
Sandydaniels is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default Crime in costa del sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandydaniels View Post
Greetings! Thank you all for your very helpful information! We live in a very safe suberb of Dallas Texas. We lived in orange county California for 30 years. We are in the wholesale jewelry business aand have to be very street smart wherever we travel to. One of the comments above mentioned 40percent unemployment...of course, that scares us. We would have to live in a secured high rise. My question also is this...is the police department corrupt...like in panama city, panama? I would love to live in Spain, and the costa del sol would be ideal for us weather wise, etc. We are also learning Spanish. I lived in Italy for six years as a child. I would love for us to live in Spain for a few years, maybe forever. Have there been robberies in restaurants? I hate to sound so paranoid, but my husband was held up three times in his jewelry store in Los Angeles and we just want to put the odds in our favor. How about Marbella? I greatly appreciate your help here. Cheers! Happy new year to my new Spain pals!
have a great year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on nice areas to rent in Costa Blanca south / Costa Calida destinedforspain Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 10 23rd February 2011 01:05 PM
what is it like on costa almeria & costa calida ? paul44 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 12 11th June 2009 10:28 PM
costa blanca or costa del sol? bella73 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 20 28th October 2008 09:01 AM
shools in costa blanca & costa calida lshilleto Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 11th October 2008 08:46 PM
long term let costa blanco south/ costa calida richie3487 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 2nd December 2007 10:20 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.