moving to Spain before March 2019 -

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree8Likes

moving to Spain before March 2019 -


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 0
suiko is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default moving to Spain before March 2019 -

hi everyone

I posted on here a few months ago about residency:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spa...residency.html

It seems the thread went somewhat awry while I was otherwise occupied

Anyway, things have moved on a bit, and I am becoming more and more convinced that, in order to continue to enjoy the rights of an EU citizen (and in due course perhaps to renounce my British citizenship and apply for Spanish), I need to move to Spain in 2018. Failure to do this may, it seems, make it impossible to use Spanish healthcare (reimbursed by NHS) in future years. I want to live in Spain again, but my future income will unfortunately not allow me to afford private health insurance in Spain.

To do this, I have decided that the best option and to return to working as an EFL teacher in Spain, as I did for some years over 20 years ago (I am now 53). This has been tough, as my current job in the UK is fairly prestigious, and going back to EFL work in Spain will mean a cut in salary of about 75%, and (obviously) far worse working conditions.

I'm very interested to know what the take of Brits actually living in Spain now is on all this, and how our rights are likely to be affected by Brexit. From what I have gathered, it seems that current arrangements under which Brits' healthcare is reimbursed by the NHS will continue for those already resident in Spain (and presumably for those who are resident by March 2019)?

As you can imagine, it is a huge decision to make. All input gratefully received

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 12:17 PM
Alcalaina's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pueblo blanco in Cdiz province since 2008
Posts: 14,333
Rep Power: 98285
Alcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond repute
9436 likes received
7108 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko View Post

I'm very interested to know what the take of Brits actually living in Spain now is on all this, and how our rights are likely to be affected by Brexit. From what I have gathered, it seems that current arrangements under which Brits' healthcare is reimbursed by the NHS will continue for those already resident in Spain (and presumably for those who are resident by March 2019)?

As you can imagine, it is a huge decision to make. All input gratefully received
The negotiations between the UK and the EU relating to citizens' rights are still ongoing and nothing has been formally agreed. So although we all have our fingers crossed that our healthcare will continue to be paid for by the UK, it is by no means definite. Sorry!
Lynn R likes this.

__________________
Read about life in the pueblo: La Vida Alcalaina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 0
suiko is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcalaina View Post
The negotiations between the UK and the EU relating to citizens' rights are still ongoing and nothing has been formally agreed. So although we all have our fingers crossed that our healthcare will continue to be paid for by the UK, it is by no means definite. Sorry!
Not that one can believe a word this bunch of liars and crooks say, but....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...for-pensioners

The article does appear to suggest that this is one of the few things that HAS been agreed (not that they couldn't mess even this up with their idiocy from this point on, of course!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 03:29 PM
Alcalaina's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pueblo blanco in Cdiz province since 2008
Posts: 14,333
Rep Power: 98285
Alcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond repute
9436 likes received
7108 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko View Post
Not that one can believe a word this bunch of liars and crooks say, but....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...for-pensioners

The article does appear to suggest that this is one of the few things that HAS been agreed (not that they couldn't mess even this up with their idiocy from this point on, of course!)
Yes, as a pensioner I was very relieved to see that. But although it looks likely those of use who are already getting our health cover will continue to do so, there's no guarantee it will apply to new applicants. It all depends what cut-off date is eventually agreed. And at 53 you are a long way from being a state pensioner.

If you are working in Spain though, you'll be making contributions here and will be covered by the Spanish system.

__________________
Read about life in the pueblo: La Vida Alcalaina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 03:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 0
suiko is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Yeah, obviously I'm thinking of in the future!

I can't see how they can possibly establish a cut-off date that is before March 2019 - when else could it be? That's why I'm thinking I need to be resident before that.

Presumably someone in your position who moves to Spain next week, gets legalised etc, would be in the same position as you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 03:57 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xbia/Jvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 34,983
Rep Power: 121379
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11036 likes received
4827 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko View Post
Yeah, obviously I'm thinking of in the future!

I can't see how they can possibly establish a cut-off date that is before March 2019 - when else could it be? That's why I'm thinking I need to be resident before that.

Presumably someone in your position who moves to Spain next week, gets legalised etc, would be in the same position as you?
You won't be entitled to an S1 & therefore have the UK fund your healthcare by March 2019 though.

I'll be very surprised if anyone not already in the position of having their healthcare funded at that date, will qualify.

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 03:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 0
suiko is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
15 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
You won't be entitled to an S1 & therefore have the UK fund your healthcare by March 2019 though.

I'll be very surprised if anyone not already in the position of having their healthcare funded at that date, will qualify.
And an S1 is not issued until one is retired, right? And if one takes early retirement in order to obtain the form?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Almeria
Posts: 231
Rep Power: 209
Chica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond reputeChica22 has a reputation beyond repute
269 likes received
174 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Although I have lived in Spain for many years (I am currently a dependant on my husbands S1/NHS health care). I think it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to apply for my own NHS health care when I reach pension age (in 9 years time!!!!). I have requested clarification on this issue on numerous occasions from the UK Government with the usual bland response!!!! I think there must be quite a number of UK immigrants who are not working and are not of pension age that in future may have to purchase private health care.

Perhaps something to take into consideration before you make the move.
Megsmum likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 04:07 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xbia/Jvea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 34,983
Rep Power: 121379
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11036 likes received
4827 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiko View Post
And an S1 is not issued until one is retired, right? And if one takes early retirement in order to obtain the form?
It's linked to your state pension & is only issued when you qualify for that.

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15th September 2017, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 7,254
Rep Power: 8499
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
8961 likes received
5485 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica22 View Post
Although I have lived in Spain for many years (I am currently a dependant on my husbands S1/NHS health care). I think it is extremely unlikely that I will be able to apply for my own NHS health care when I reach pension age (in 9 years time!!!!). I have requested clarification on this issue on numerous occasions from the UK Government with the usual bland response!!!! I think there must be quite a number of UK immigrants who are not working and are not of pension age that in future may have to purchase private health care.

Perhaps something to take into consideration before you make the move.
I am in the same position and have the same misgivings. I certainly won't be cancelling my private health insurance (which we had to have before we became entitled to S1s and kept on when my husband reached state pension age), just in case).
Chica22 likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spain creates 160,000 jobs in the best March sincerecords began in 2001 Chopera Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 24 7th April 2015 09:55 AM
Anybody moving to Sydney at end of March in between 23rd March to 30th March from Hyd DSwetha The Platypus Den 3 2nd March 2014 06:06 AM
Wintering in Spain Nov 2014 - March 2015 Mamabear1625 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 16 3rd September 2013 06:26 PM
moving to spain in march x-o-emz-o-x Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 15 1st February 2013 10:39 PM
Looking to move to spain in march 2013 (merged) melissas Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 10 30th October 2012 04:33 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.