costa blanca or costa del sol?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

costa blanca or costa del sol?


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 04:17 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
bella73 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default costa blanca or costa del sol?

Hi My name is Isabella,
I am looking to move to spain from Australia I will rent for 6 mths or so then buy once I'm sure of the area. I need help with where to start Costa del sol or Costa Blanca? I'm 35, single and I have a 9 yr old boy where do you think would suit?
Any suggestions please!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 07:57 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,426
Rep Power: 0
SteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to beholdSteveHall is a splendid one to behold
10 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

One of those impossible to answer questions. I have lived in both and written about both. If you want to be near an airport with direct flights to New York or to be able to pop down to Gibraltar then the Costa del Sol is your answer. If you want your child eductaed in valenciano then go to the north of Alicante. How do we know where will suit? One man's meat is another man's poison so you are absolutely doing the right thing in coming over to have a look. If you want any help to specific questions please do not hesitate to shout.

Rule of thumb - house prices on the Costa del Sol are more expensive so you should get more for your money on the south Costa Blanca. That may or not be important, What IS important is that you think about your son's education above everything. If you have the money then the very best private schools on the Costa del Sol have impressive results and put anything in Costa Blanca south to shame.

One thing you should be doing in the meantime is learning as much Spanish as you possibly can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 11:48 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
bella73 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
One of those impossible to answer questions. I have lived in both and written about both. If you want to be near an airport with direct flights to New York or to be able to pop down to Gibraltar then the Costa del Sol is your answer. If you want your child eductaed in valenciano then go to the north of Alicante. How do we know where will suit? One man's meat is another man's poison so you are absolutely doing the right thing in coming over to have a look. If you want any help to specific questions please do not hesitate to shout.

Rule of thumb - house prices on the Costa del Sol are more expensive so you should get more for your money on the south Costa Blanca. That may or not be important, What IS important is that you think about your son's education above everything. If you have the money then the very best private schools on the Costa del Sol have impressive results and put anything in Costa Blanca south to shame.

One thing you should be doing in the meantime is learning as much Spanish as you possibly can.
Thanks Steve
You have given me some food for thought!!!
Education is definitely of importance I was looking at
- Aloha College in Malaga,
-English International College Marbella,

- Newton College near Alicante,
-Xabia International College in Javea
-Elian’s British School in La Nucia
Any tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 733
Rep Power: 0
SunnySpain will become famous soon enough
2 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella73 View Post
Hi My name is Isabella,
I am looking to move to spain from Australia I will rent for 6 mths or so then buy once I'm sure of the area. I need help with where to start Costa del sol or Costa Blanca? I'm 35, single and I have a 9 yr old boy where do you think would suit?
Any suggestions please!!!

Hi Isabella,

35 and single with a 9 year old - try Sitges

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 12:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 642
Rep Power: 0
crookesey is a jewel in the roughcrookesey is a jewel in the roughcrookesey is a jewel in the rough
70 likes received
31 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Well Isobella, I know both areas very well but on balance I prefer the Northern Costa Blanca, it is very pretty, has lovely bays and coves and a quiet coast road. I am talking about the Bennisa coast between La Fustera and Moraira. I am not an inland person and stay on a hillside overlooking the sea. The main road is very good as is the motorway, I have no idea about the schools.

The Costa Del Sol has that awful death road that you are forced to use every time you want to buy anything, the motorway is very good though. We stay beach front and never visit the larger towns. It's full of English/Irish pubs that are generally used by the local English Jack the lads. Also it is very built up, there are even apartments with balconies overlooking the motorway. We spend our time walking for miles on the natural beach and using the Spanish owned beach front cafes.

We now have our agent looking into the possible purchase of our retirement home in La Fustera where there is a good mix of Spanish, English, Dutch, Germans etc; The villas are generally bigger than on the del sol and are built on large clearings in a pine forest, many with magnificent sea views as they are on a mountain side but only a few minuets drive from the shops.

So there you have it, the very best of luck to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 01:11 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
bella73 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySpain View Post
Hi Isabella,

35 and single with a 9 year old - try Sitges
I hadn't been looking at sitges as I was told it was prodominently a gay area was I wrong about this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 01:28 PM
Burriana Babs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Costa del Sol, Nerja
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 0
Burriana Babs is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Well I personally find the East Costa del Sol is a great place to live. We use the motorway when taveling as far as Malaga and never have seen a problem. The death road that was spoken of has been a problem for motorcycles. But I have never seen an accident in the 3 years I have lived here. But like most highways if you follow the road safety rules and not speed on curves (duh) then things should be fine. I have traveled the so called death road many a time and never seen or had a problem. Yes it is curvie but drive appropriately.

My definate choice after tavelsing all the Costas for many years is the Eastern Costa del Sol, meaning east of Malage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 01:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0
bella73 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burriana Babs View Post
Well I personally find the East Costa del Sol is a great place to live. We use the motorway when taveling as far as Malaga and never have seen a problem. The death road that was spoken of has been a problem for motorcycles. But I have never seen an accident in the 3 years I have lived here. But like most highways if you follow the road safety rules and not speed on curves (duh) then things should be fine. I have traveled the so called death road many a time and never seen or had a problem. Yes it is curvie but drive appropriately.

My definate choice after tavelsing all the Costas for many years is the Eastern Costa del Sol, meaning east of Malage.
Thanks for the reply
Driving does not seem to worry me its more the schools, weather, jobs, shops, facilities and social life
Take care Isabella

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 01:44 PM
jojo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Worthing UK/Nerja, Spain
Posts: 33,612
Rep Power: 349578
jojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond reputejojo has a reputation beyond repute
5023 likes received
5506 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burriana Babs View Post
Well I personally find the East Costa del Sol is a great place to live. We use the motorway when taveling as far as Malaga and never have seen a problem. The death road that was spoken of has been a problem for motorcycles. But I have never seen an accident in the 3 years I have lived here. But like most highways if you follow the road safety rules and not speed on curves (duh) then things should be fine. I have traveled the so called death road many a time and never seen or had a problem. Yes it is curvie but drive appropriately.

My definate choice after tavelsing all the Costas for many years is the Eastern Costa del Sol, meaning east of Malage.
I've never understood why its called that, its no different from any other Spanish motorway in my opinion. However, I sadly was witness to a major accident a few months ago involving a coach and a 4WD with 19 people killed. We were held up there for 4 hours

Jo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24th October 2008, 03:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 642
Rep Power: 0
crookesey is a jewel in the roughcrookesey is a jewel in the roughcrookesey is a jewel in the rough
70 likes received
31 likes given

Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I've never understood why its called that, its no different from any other Spanish motorway in my opinion. However, I sadly was witness to a major accident a few months ago involving a coach and a 4WD with 19 people killed. We were held up there for 4 hours

Jo
We were over when it happened, frightening. It's the coastal road that I refered to not the motorway that I said was good, we once saw an eleven car pile up with four on fire at Calahonda. It's all the Cambio de Sentido's that scare me, you wait and wait for a gap to appear only to find someone appear out of nowhere attempting to break the world land speed record.

However the Cambio de Sentido's have saved the lives of countless folk who prior to them being built used to leg it accross the road with their kids, lilos and cool boxes. Body bags at the side of the road were a common sight, hence 'death road'. Give me a quiet winding coast road any day, I often take a walk at the side of the Bennisa coast road without any fear of being mown down, but I suppose it's everyone to their own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on nice areas to rent in Costa Blanca south / Costa Calida destinedforspain Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 10 23rd February 2011 01:05 PM
Anyone on the Costa Blanca? ShinyAndy Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 15 23rd July 2010 01:32 PM
costa blanca spanster Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 37 21st October 2009 03:22 PM
shools in costa blanca & costa calida lshilleto Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 11th October 2008 08:46 PM
Best Value On The Costa Blanca Golf Shop Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 15 15th March 2008 10:57 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.