Moving to Spain as Cheaply as possible

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree1Likes

Moving to Spain as Cheaply as possible


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:25 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rustington
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
JaneStanley is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
11 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default Moving to Spain as Cheaply as possible

We are (hopefully!) moving to the Costa del Sol in the summer this year . We will have accomodation sorted for the first couple of months, but will then be looking to rent. We currently own a 2 bedroomed flat on the south coast in UK, which we will hopefully putting up for sale (not enough equity to be able to rent out unfortunately ).

Can anyone give any advice on the cheapest way to achieve the move? We are looking to bring over my car (1.2 Corsa - 3 years old) and possibly putting most of our UK stuff into storage (although will be bringing electrical items like large TV etc).

What are the pitfalls that I should look out for? I understand that after three months I'll need to apply for spanish car registration and convert lights etc., is there anything else I'll need to do (i.e. register ourselves?)

Complete novice here and would welcome any advice anyone has to offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:33 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xŕbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,810
Rep Power: 121437
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11823 likes received
5435 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneStanley View Post
We are (hopefully!) moving to the Costa del Sol in the summer this year . We will have accomodation sorted for the first couple of months, but will then be looking to rent. We currently own a 2 bedroomed flat on the south coast in UK, which we will hopefully putting up for sale (not enough equity to be able to rent out unfortunately ).

Can anyone give any advice on the cheapest way to achieve the move? We are looking to bring over my car (1.2 Corsa - 3 years old) and possibly putting most of our UK stuff into storage (although will be bringing electrical items like large TV etc).

What are the pitfalls that I should look out for? I understand that after three months I'll need to apply for spanish car registration and convert lights etc., is there anything else I'll need to do (i.e. register ourselves?)

Complete novice here and would welcome any advice anyone has to offer.
hi

as EU citizens all the paperwork when you get here is relatively straightforward - register as resident & get a NIE number in the first 3 months & sign on the padrón in the town where you live

will you be looking for work?

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:35 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rustington
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
JaneStanley is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
11 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

My husband will have a job and if possible I'd like to work - I'm actually an Analyst/Programmer but will consider any office type work - full or part time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 22,263
Rep Power: 47513
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
6411 likes received
3730 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneStanley View Post
We are (hopefully!) moving to the Costa del Sol in the summer this year . We will have accomodation sorted for the first couple of months, but will then be looking to rent. We currently own a 2 bedroomed flat on the south coast in UK, which we will hopefully putting up for sale (not enough equity to be able to rent out unfortunately ).

Can anyone give any advice on the cheapest way to achieve the move? We are looking to bring over my car (1.2 Corsa - 3 years old) and possibly putting most of our UK stuff into storage (although will be bringing electrical items like large TV etc).

What are the pitfalls that I should look out for? I understand that after three months I'll need to apply for spanish car registration and convert lights etc., is there anything else I'll need to do (i.e. register ourselves?)

Complete novice here and would welcome any advice anyone has to offer.

We have made two major moves in the past seven years, one from the UK to the Czech Republic, the other from the Czech Republic to Spain.

We took all our furniture, goods and chattels with us.....quite a large amount of objects and items. Our experience with the first move, when we took the lowest quote, taught us NEVER again to go for the cheapest option. For our second move, we asked for quotes from large, reputable international movers such as AGS, Crown and Pickfords. We chose AGS.

There was simply no comparison in the quality of service we got from AGS compared to the cheap UK mover. Apparently many of the cheaper UK firms use local sub-contractors of dubious quality. That was certainly the case in Prague. Our furniture etc. arrived two days after the contracted date, was damp and the 'removal' men slashed at wrappings with box-cutters and slashed good leather sofas. Complaints made resulted in indifference - no compensation.

Now.....we took, as I said, everything but the kitchen sink. In your case, if you have fewer items to move, what I have said may not be applicable. But if you are moving valued possessions, it's worth taking note of our experience.

As for your car: we brought a new LHD Merc with us which we stupidly had put on UK plates, although we bought it from Mercedes Nuremburg and had it delivered in Prague. It transpired that the total cost of putting it on Spanish plates would have been prohibitive as it was barely a year old. So you need to find out about the cost of transfer of your vehicle.

We decided to buy a LHD Landrover from a reputable LHD dealer in the UK. It was already on Spanish plates and the cost of transferring ownership -from the legendary one careful lady owner! - was less than £200.

So if I were moving from the UK to Spain, knowing what I have learned, I would sell my UK RHD car and buy a LHD preferably already Spanish-plated, ensuring that I had all documentation required for the transfer and that there were no outstanding fines on the vehicle - these are transferable to the new owner!

It is in any case illegal to be driving a UK plated vehicle if you are resident in Spain.

Hope the above is helpful..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spain
Posts: 22,263
Rep Power: 47513
mrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond reputemrypg9 has a reputation beyond repute
6411 likes received
3730 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneStanley View Post
My husband will have a job and if possible I'd like to work - I'm actually an Analyst/Programmer but will consider any office type work - full or part time.
It's good that your husband will have a job as your chances of finding work are, frankly, slim.
Here on the CdS unemployment is officially at 34% but is probably much higher. An estimated one-third of British immigrants have returned to the UK and many are struggling.

You may strike lucky - my OH who isn't looking for work was offered a job the other day. But here it's very much 'who you know' and it takes time to forge those kinds of links.

Good Spanish is also essential.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 11:28 AM
Alcalaina's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pueblo blanco in Cádiz province since 2008
Posts: 15,312
Rep Power: 98451
Alcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond reputeAlcalaina has a reputation beyond repute
10674 likes received
7943 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Make sure you register at your local health centre (Consultorio) as soon as your husband gets his social security number.

__________________
Read about life in the pueblo: La Vida Alcalaina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 11:47 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rustington
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
JaneStanley is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
11 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcalaina View Post
Make sure you register at your local health centre (Consultorio) as soon as your husband gets his social security number.
How does healthcare work as I have thyroid issues rusty require constant medication and 6 monthly blood tests?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 12:06 PM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xŕbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,810
Rep Power: 121437
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11823 likes received
5435 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneStanley View Post
How does healthcare work as I have thyroid issues rusty require constant medication and 6 monthly blood tests?
if your husband is paying into the system then he & you as his dependent will be 'plugged in' to state healthcare

you register with a local state clinic & it works pretty much like it does in the UK after that........... except I've heard that in the UK you have no chance of a same day appt..................

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 01:04 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rustington
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
JaneStanley is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
11 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
if your husband is paying into the system then he & you as his dependent will be 'plugged in' to state healthcare

you register with a local state clinic & it works pretty much like it does in the UK after that........... except I've heard that in the UK you have no chance of a same day appt..................
Same week appointment here would be good !!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14th April 2012, 01:11 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rustington
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 0
JaneStanley is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
11 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrypg9 View Post
As for your car: we brought a new LHD Merc with us which we stupidly had put on UK plates, although we bought it from Mercedes Nuremburg and had it delivered in Prague. It transpired that the total cost of putting it on Spanish plates would have been prohibitive as it was barely a year old. So you need to find out about the cost of transfer of your vehicle.

We decided to buy a LHD Landrover from a reputable LHD dealer in the UK. It was already on Spanish plates and the cost of transferring ownership -from the legendary one careful lady owner! - was less than £200.

So if I were moving from the UK to Spain, knowing what I have learned, I would sell my UK RHD car and buy a LHD preferably already Spanish-plated, ensuring that I had all documentation required for the transfer and that there were no outstanding fines on the vehicle - these are transferable to the new owner!

It is in any case illegal to be driving a UK plated vehicle if you are resident in Spain.

Hope the above is helpful..

Unfortunately selling our car isn't an option as there will still be finance on it, and we couldn't afford to buy another car....


Last edited by xabiaxica; 14th April 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: clarifying quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving within Spain agua642 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 4 8th September 2011 01:23 PM
How to furnish an apartment quickly and cheaply? vickyjay USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 10 24th August 2011 01:45 AM
Moving to Spain arny Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 24 15th September 2008 02:01 PM
Can you still have a good time CHEAPLY in Spain - Hell yes! chris(madrid) Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 2 20th July 2008 05:56 AM
Moving over to Spain. Rambler Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 5 1st February 2008 02:04 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.