Moving to Spain....Minefield - Page 8

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Europe > Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain

Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain The Spain Expats forum is a dedicated community of people who have moved to Spain, or who are planning to. This is the place for Expats to meet and discuss anything about moving to, & living in, Spain.

Like Tree27Likes

Moving to Spain....Minefield - Page 8


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #71 (permalink)  
Old 14th May 2016, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK / Spain
Posts: 1,343
Rep Power: 1132
Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
969 likes received
345 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

I know of two properties that went up for rent in Javea port last week. Both went on the first day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #72 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2016, 05:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 0
Couple10 is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
24 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Hi all,

We had our visit out to Spain and really liked the Sotogrande area, currently trying to get something sorted out for getting out there at the end of September now as trying to get a suitable place and paperwork appointments in August was a challenge.

Whilst looking on the forum I came across this thread
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spa...residency.html

That's a very similar situation to mine. I work away for over half the year abroad and pay my taxes and NI in the UK. My fiancée and child will be in Spain full time. My question is would I need to be on register of residents? I know my fiancée and son would have to be as they stay there full time and he will be going to school there but since im out the country most of the year do I? I just assumed I would need to. What benefits does it give being on it if I don't need to be on it? Being on it does that mean I have to fill in a tax form?

Thanks as always for the info provided.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #73 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:06 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,800
Rep Power: 121437
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11818 likes received
5429 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couple10 View Post
Hi all,

We had our visit out to Spain and really liked the Sotogrande area, currently trying to get something sorted out for getting out there at the end of September now as trying to get a suitable place and paperwork appointments in August was a challenge.

Whilst looking on the forum I came across this thread
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spa...residency.html

That's a very similar situation to mine. I work away for over half the year abroad and pay my taxes and NI in the UK. My fiancée and child will be in Spain full time. My question is would I need to be on register of residents? I know my fiancée and son would have to be as they stay there full time and he will be going to school there but since im out the country most of the year do I? I just assumed I would need to. What benefits does it give being on it if I don't need to be on it? Being on it does that mean I have to fill in a tax form?

Thanks as always for the info provided.
Tax residency & being registered as a resident aren't linked. It's possible to be one without the other

If you are in Spain 90+days consecutively, the requirement is to register. If you're here less than 182 days in total, for most that would mean that they aren't tax resident

However, it's clearly possible to be in Spain for lots of short visits of less than 90 days, but clock up more than 183 days in a year, which for most would mean that they are tax resident

Your case is a little different, in that since you will be financially supporting a family here, Spain will almost certainly consider you to be tax resident, even if you only spent a few weeks a year here

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #74 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 0
Couple10 is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
24 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
Tax residency & being registered as a resident aren't linked. It's possible to be one without the other

If you are in Spain 90+days consecutively, the requirement is to register. If you're here less than 182 days in total, for most that would mean that they aren't tax resident

However, it's clearly possible to be in Spain for lots of short visits of less than 90 days, but clock up more than 183 days in a year, which for most would mean that they are tax resident

Your case is a little different, in that since you will be financially supporting a family here, Spain will almost certainly consider you to be tax resident, even if you only spent a few weeks a year here
Thanks for that, it clears it up for me tax wise.

So it really makes no odds at all if I register or not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #75 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:27 AM
xabiaxica's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Xàbia/Jávea (so good they named it twice!) since 2003
Posts: 35,800
Rep Power: 121437
xabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond reputexabiaxica has a reputation beyond repute
11818 likes received
5429 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couple10 View Post
Thanks for that, it clears it up for me tax wise.

So it really makes no odds at all if I register or not?
It could be in your interests to register. For example when the law changed a few years ago, anyone registered before a certain date became entitled to free healthcare.

You gain the right to permanent residency after 5 years & after 10 you can apply for Spanish nationality

You never know what is going to happen in the future, & there are no downsides to registering that I can think of

__________________

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #76 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Scotland
Posts: 50
Rep Power: 0
Couple10 is on a distinguished road
5 likes received
24 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in spain.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiachica View Post
It could be in your interests to register. For example when the law changed a few years ago, anyone registered before a certain date became entitled to free healthcare.

You gain the right to permanent residency after 5 years & after 10 you can apply for Spanish nationality

You never know what is going to happen in the future, & there are no downsides to registering that I can think of
That's great to know. The intention always was to register until I seen that post from a few years ago that I mentioned on an earlier post, I just wanted to clear things up in my mind about it all. The forum is fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
children, education, moving, offshore, oil, oillfig, rig, schools, sotogrande

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to the traverse the visa minefield? ethos15 Thailand Expat Forum for Expats Living in Thailand 0 24th November 2014 05:54 AM
I got married...now what do I do!! Arghhh the minefield of the US visa process! HannahB USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 4 2nd September 2014 11:16 PM
The residency minefield Mrhappy5 Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 40 18th January 2014 06:22 PM
NIE or Residency minefield help please cyclequeen Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 1 24th June 2013 02:10 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.