Humble advice needed

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa

South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa The South Africa Expats forum is a great place to meet other Expats now living in South Africa. Join our Expat community and discuss all issues including living, working, kids, transportation, socialising, eating and buying houses in South Africa.

Humble advice needed


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20th August 2019, 04:05 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
Qoonlay is on a distinguished road

Default Humble advice needed

Hi guys please kindly advice on what i can do in this situation.

Currently i submitted for a waiver letter to DHA to waive labour certificate which as been granted according to a home affairs official who called me regarding my application and said the letter is only awaiting the directors signature to be finally released and sent back to VFS.. almost 2 weeks now that i keep calling and they say its awaiting directors signature.. my application is way past 60days wait.. actually now 80days today.

My problem is my current permit expires 2nd week of september. And i really need this waiver out before my current permit expires so i can submit for my General work permit ASAP. I cant afford to travel out of South Africa to reapply outside SouthAfrica.

My question is.. if the waiver letter doesnt reach me before my permit current expires. Can i wait in SA till i get it and apply for my GWP ASAP having been informed that the waiver letter is approved and only awaits the signature of the director.??

N.B its been approved since 2weeks now according to the home affairs official but only waiting to be signed.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20th August 2019, 05:41 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
a4xiaoxiami is on a distinguished road
4 likes received

Default

Hi, I was told before by my agent that as long as you have submitted waiver application before the expiry date of your general work permit, you should be deemed as having initiated your visa renewal process. So you will be fine to stay in SA while waiting for the decision of waiver and visa renewal.

Luckily my visa renewal came out couple of weeks before the expiry date. So I am not sure whether it is true or not in the end.

Usually, DHA will not tell you the decision until you pick it up yourself at VFS. They must have a good reason to take the initiative to give you a call, I believe. So if they call you again, don't forget to check this issue with them. Or you can call DHA's number to ask about it yourself.

Good luck!

P. S.: You may still get your waiver well before the expiry date of your current permit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 06:44 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
Qoonlay is on a distinguished road

Default

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd August 2019, 06:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 170
Rep Power: 0
terryZW is on a distinguished road
37 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from zimbabwe. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4xiaoxiami View Post
Hi, I was told before by my agent that as long as you have submitted waiver application before the expiry date of your general work permit, you should be deemed as having initiated your visa renewal process. So you will be fine to stay in SA while waiting for the decision of waiver and visa renewal.

Luckily my visa renewal came out couple of weeks before the expiry date. So I am not sure whether it is true or not in the end.

Usually, DHA will not tell you the decision until you pick it up yourself at VFS. They must have a good reason to take the initiative to give you a call, I believe. So if they call you again, don't forget to check this issue with them. Or you can call DHA's number to ask about it yourself.

Good luck!

P. S.: You may still get your waiver well before the expiry date of your current permit.
Hi @a4xiaoxiami,

What documents did you submit for your waiver application and what did you write in your motivation? (key points)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:41 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
a4xiaoxiami is on a distinguished road
4 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryZW View Post
Hi @a4xiaoxiami,

What documents did you submit for your waiver application and what did you write in your motivation? (key points)
Hi,

You can check VFS's website for the list of required documents.

https://www.vfsglobal.com/dha/southa...rv-waiver.html

About what was in my motivation letter, basically what you need to demonstrate in the letter is to tell:

1. why your employer couldn't find any SA citizen/permanent resident with your specialities/skills;

2. what unique contribution you have made to help the business hiring more local people to sovle the umemployment issue, increase the export, boost the local economy, etc;

3. why you are so important for the future success of the business that you are partcipating with in SA.

Since it highly relates to your personal situtation, you need to think it through hard and come out with a convincing letter to DHA.

If you think it is too hard to prepare such a letter, finding a good agent might be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 170
Rep Power: 0
terryZW is on a distinguished road
37 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from zimbabwe. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4xiaoxiami View Post
Hi,

You can check VFS's website for the list of required documents.

https://www.vfsglobal.com/dha/southa...rv-waiver.html

About what was in my motivation letter, basically what you need to demonstrate in the letter is to tell:

1. why your employer couldn't find any SA citizen/permanent resident with your specialities/skills;

2. what unique contribution you have made to help the business hiring more local people to sovle the umemployment issue, increase the export, boost the local economy, etc;

3. why you are so important for the future success of the business that you are partcipating with in SA.

Since it highly relates to your personal situtation, you need to think it through hard and come out with a convincing letter to DHA.

If you think it is too hard to prepare such a letter, finding a good agent might be helpful.
Thanks for the insight. So you wrote the letter yourself? I actually thought this was a letter from the company to DHA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23rd August 2019, 05:44 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pretoria
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
The2100 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from southafrica. Users Flag! Expat in zimbabwe.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoonlay View Post
Hi guys please kindly advice on what i can do in this situation.

Currently i submitted for a waiver letter to DHA to waive labour certificate which as been granted according to a home affairs official who called me regarding my application and said the letter is only awaiting the directors signature to be finally released and sent back to VFS.. almost 2 weeks now that i keep calling and they say its awaiting directors signature.. my application is way past 60days wait.. actually now 80days today.

My problem is my current permit expires 2nd week of september. And i really need this waiver out before my current permit expires so i can submit for my General work permit ASAP. I cant afford to travel out of South Africa to reapply outside SouthAfrica.

My question is.. if the waiver letter doesnt reach me before my permit current expires. Can i wait in SA till i get it and apply for my GWP ASAP having been informed that the waiver letter is approved and only awaits the signature of the director.??

N.B its been approved since 2weeks now according to the home affairs official but only waiting to be signed.

Thanks
If your permit expires before you submit, VFS will not accept any application without an accompanying letter of good cause... to get this letter of good cause is another hustle; and it takes about 8 or so months in major cities. Your chances will be higher if you approach DHA office is less busy and smaller cities. My advice is that you start to apply for this letter of good cause just in case this letter you are waiting for delays. At the same time if you submit your application with insufficient documents it will be rejected.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24th August 2019, 08:23 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
a4xiaoxiami is on a distinguished road
4 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryZW View Post
Thanks for the insight. So you wrote the letter yourself? I actually thought this was a letter from the company to DHA.
I worked closely with my agent and provided a lot of information to prepare the letter.

And, yes, you are actually right. The letter was sent in name of my employer. But still, basically the agent and I worked it all out among ourselves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27th August 2019, 03:51 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0
Qoonlay is on a distinguished road

Default

GOOD NEWS!!

Got my waiver letter today and it was positive.

My next question guys.. please kindly respond

Will be applying for a GWP soon........for a pathway to a PR......

I currently have a 5 years quota permit (Expiring middle next month) which I will be switching to GWP.. i couldnt apply for a Critical skill visa because my skill (Teaching is not on the skills list)... i will like to know if i acquire the GWP, can i apply for a PR having held a quota work visa (5years) + the General work permit (5years) am about to aquire... can this count towards 5 years continous employment required to apply for PR?

Pls advice.........

I heard rumours that one cannot combine different categories of visa e.g 5years quota work visa and 5 years general work visa.. how true?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27th August 2019, 04:18 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
a4xiaoxiami is on a distinguished road
4 likes received

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoonlay View Post
GOOD NEWS!!

Got my waiver letter today and it was positive.

Pls advice.........

I heard rumours that one cannot combine different categories of visa e.g 5years quota work visa and 5 years general work visa.. how true?
Congratulations first!

According to VFS' website, 26(a) requires:

"Proof of five years continuous work visa, excluding work in terms of intra company transfer, corporate and Zimbabwean special project visas."

I think that is also said so in the Immigration Act.

It did not say you have to hold the same type of visa.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.