Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/south-africa-expat-forum-expats-living-south-africa/)
-   -   Renew Visitors Visa or Relatives Visa? (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/south-africa-expat-forum-expats-living-south-africa/1480118-renew-visitors-visa-relatives-visa.html)

db29 8th May 2019 07:08 AM

Renew Visitors Visa or Relatives Visa?
 
My Current Visa is Visitors Visa Section 11(6). It is due to expire soon, do I renew this or apply for a Relatives Visa (spouse)? My partner is South African.

Please help! Thank you!

Chimichuri 8th May 2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db29 (Post 14865898)
My Current Visa is Visitors Visa Section 11(6). It is due to expire soon, do I renew this or apply for a Relatives Visa (spouse)? My partner is South African.

Please help! Thank you!

Depending on how many years you've been married.

Plus you cannot change a visitors visa into a relatives visa in SA. You will have to go back to the UK to apply for it

db29 8th May 2019 05:04 PM

Hi, we have been married for 7 years and we have a 4 year old daughter. I will apply for a visitors visa in South Africa. Is that the best choice for me right now? Do I also need to submit a birth certificate for my daughter if applying for the Visitor Visa renewal for myself?

I would like to apply for PR but I know that it maybe cutting it close in terms of my current visa's expiration date. Am I allowed to be in the country while my visitors visa is being processed?

Thank you for the advice. I'm very stressed and just want to make the right decision.

Jack14 8th May 2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db29 (Post 14866400)
Hi, we have been married for 7 years and we have a 4 year old daughter. I will apply for a visitors visa in South Africa. Is that the best choice for me right now? Do I also need to submit a birth certificate for my daughter if applying for the Visitor Visa renewal for myself?

I would like to apply for PR but I know that it maybe cutting it close in terms of my current visa's expiration date. Am I allowed to be in the country while my visitors visa is being processed?

Thank you for the advice. I'm very stressed and just want to make the right decision.

I suggest you apply for a Visitor visa Section 11(6), it is valid for 3 years while relative Visa is valid for only 2 years

With relative visa Application you have to submit proof of your spouse income which must be R8500.00 minimum per Month, Proof of spouse income is not a requirement for Visitor visa 11(6)

With Visitor Visa 11(6) you can request permission to work or conduct own business, that is not possible with relative visa

Your renewal application must be submitted at least 60 days before the current visa expire

You should add your child's birth Certificate to the application, it will add weight to your application, it proves that your relationship is genuine

Processing time for Permanent residence permit is between 8 Month to 24 Months, you must have a legal status in the country at all time

I am also using Visitor Visa 11(6)

db29 8th May 2019 07:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My visitors visa expires on August 15. If I apply to get it renewed this week or early next week do you think it will arrive before then?

If it doesnt arrive before August 15 am I able to stay legally in the country? Because it is still in process

db29 8th May 2019 07:36 PM

"The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship."

I have a lease with both me and my wifes name on. Do I need to provide bank statements and letter regarding the care of our daughter?

Thank you

Jack14 8th May 2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db29 (Post 14866468)
Thanks for the reply.

My visitors visa expires on August 15. If I apply to get it renewed this week or early next week do you think it will arrive before then?

If it doesnt arrive before August 15 am I able to stay legally in the country? Because it is still in process

If you apply for renewal this week or next week it will surely be out before 15 August, the processing time is 8 to 10 weeks, my last renewal was processed in 8 weeks, the sooner you apply the better

If it doesnt arrive by 15 August you may stay and wait for it but it is not advisable for the following reasons

1. If the application is rejected you can not reapply without a Valid visa, you can only Appeal and appeals take very long to process (1 to 2 years)

2. If you leave the country without a Valid visa you will be declared undesirable and banned for 1 or 5 years depending on the number of days you stayed without a valid visa

Jack14 8th May 2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db29 (Post 14866476)
"The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship."

I have a lease with both me and my wifes name on. Do I need to provide bank statements and letter regarding the care of our daughter?

Thank you


1. The Affidavit and Cohabitation document doesn't apply to you if you are Married, the Affifavit and Cohabitation document is for life partners who are not Married


2. It is not a requirement but it is advisable to add any document that will proof the relationship is genuine

a4xiaoxiami 9th May 2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db29 (Post 14866468)
Thanks for the reply.

My visitors visa expires on August 15. If I apply to get it renewed this week or early next week do you think it will arrive before then?

If it doesnt arrive before August 15 am I able to stay legally in the country? Because it is still in process

Hi, db29,

According to my past experience, you can legally stay in SA as long as you submit your visitor's visa renewal/extension application before expiry date of the existing one, while waiting for the result.

If the application is refused, you can:
1. leave the country within 7 days (I'm not so sure about the number of days, but at least one week). You will not be blacklisted by this; OR

2. Appeal the decision and stay in SA legally while waiting for the result of the appeal.

If the appeal fails, you can leave the country within 7 days (again not so certain about the number, but one week at least). You will not be blacklisted either.

Then you can apply the visa again when get into your home country.

In terms of visitor's visa, it usually takes a couple of weeks to get the result either within or outside of SA.

I consulted with several agents and all of them said the same as above before. Just couldn't remember the exact number days you can stay after the application is refused.

If you want to apply for permanent residency while you are in SA, you need to make sure you can legally stay in SA all the time while waiting for the result of your PR application. Otherwise, the application will be immediately invalidated/refused.

Nowaday, it usually takes about 2 year for a spouse to get a permanent resident visa. So maybe applying for another 3 year visitor visa 11(6) is a better choice. You can immediately apply for PR after you sucsussfully renew your visitor's visa.

Good luck with your applications!

db29 13th May 2019 03:29 PM

Hi,

Is the Visa number the control number?

Thanks!


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.