5 years on PR? Apply for citizenship now

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa

South Africa Expat Forum for Expats Living in South Africa The South Africa Expats forum is a great place to meet other Expats now living in South Africa. Join our Expat community and discuss all issues including living, working, kids, transportation, socialising, eating and buying houses in South Africa.

Like Tree4Likes

5 years on PR? Apply for citizenship now


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th March 2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 81
Rep Power: 0
HB in Jozi is on a distinguished road
8 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uganda. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default 5 years on PR? Apply for citizenship now

The updated info on home affairs website now shows that you can apply for Citizenship after 5 years on PR. This contrasts the 10 year period that was on the website for the past couple of years. I guess DHA was tired of the court cases that ruled against the 10 year waiting period. But better to read the guidelines on the DHA website first - the procedure is unambiguous as it was before.

I visited DHA in Joburg-Harrison street last year after the court ruling and indeed i was told 5 years is the correct waiting period.

That's it!!!! Go ahead and apply

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15th March 2019, 07:21 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0
mhopis is on a distinguished road

Default

Hi HB

Many thanks for this. On the DHA website among the other requirements they need, "Proof of continuous residence 1 year prior to application"
Does it mean one should not have left SA in that particular year, even for visiting or on official company duty which was not more than a month. I think I meet all the requirements but am vexed by the particular clause of continuous residence.

Will be grateful for a response before I visit home affairs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th March 2019, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 81
Rep Power: 0
HB in Jozi is on a distinguished road
8 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uganda. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopis View Post
Hi HB

Many thanks for this. On the DHA website among the other requirements they need, "Proof of continuous residence 1 year prior to application"
Does it mean one should not have left SA in that particular year, even for visiting or on official company duty which was not more than a month. I think I meet all the requirements but am vexed by the particular clause of continuous residence.

Will be grateful for a response before I visit home affairs

Hi mhopis

As long as that visit did not exceed 90 days, you're okay.


Please go ahead and apply

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2019, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Africa
Posts: 137
Rep Power: 0
Fortune07 is on a distinguished road
20 likes received
27 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from cameroon. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

I learnt one will need to earn at least one of the official south African languages, does English count?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2019, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 81
Rep Power: 0
HB in Jozi is on a distinguished road
8 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uganda. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune07 View Post
I learnt one will need to earn at least one of the official south African languages, does English count?

Thanks,

Yes Fortune, English is one of the 11 official languages of South Africa. To prove your proficiency in English you may write and pass the IELTS test. British council gives this test. You're tested in Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking. However, i do not know the score that home affairs needs - you may find this out from any DHA office.

Another thing, for people who studied in English all their lives, i am not sure if the IELTS test is necessary.

For any info you get on the Proof of English proficiency test, please let us know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2019, 01:34 PM
KGM KGM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Durban
Posts: 66
Rep Power: 0
KGM is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from zimbabwe. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB in Jozi View Post
The updated info on home affairs website now shows that you can apply for Citizenship after 5 years on PR. This contrasts the 10 year period that was on the website for the past couple of years. I guess DHA was tired of the court cases that ruled against the 10 year waiting period. But better to read the guidelines on the DHA website first - the procedure is unambiguous as it was before.

I visited DHA in Joburg-Harrison street last year after the court ruling and indeed i was told 5 years is the correct waiting period.

That's it!!!! Go ahead and apply
Hi HB

Am busy preparing my Citizenship application based on 5 years post PR, j have 3 mths to go. My PR was verified for ID purposes at PRP stage but I gather it has to undergo another 1 year verification for Citizenship purposes before an application for Citizenship can be accepted by DHA front office. Any suggestions and hints to cut out the seemingly unnecessary 1 year waiting period? Can I do the PR verification before my PR is at least 5 years old?

Many thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2019, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 81
Rep Power: 0
HB in Jozi is on a distinguished road
8 likes received
5 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uganda. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
Hi HB

Am busy preparing my Citizenship application based on 5 years post PR, j have 3 mths to go. My PR was verified for ID purposes at PRP stage but I gather it has to undergo another 1 year verification for Citizenship purposes before an application for Citizenship can be accepted by DHA front office. Any suggestions and hints to cut out the seemingly unnecessary 1 year waiting period? Can I do the PR verification before my PR is at least 5 years old?

Many thanks

Hi KGM

Unfortunately you have to wait until the date (or after that date) that appears on your PR certificate. That's what the official at DHA Harrison str in Joburg told me. I had thought about what you're raising now...last year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2019, 03:56 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
david_meer is on a distinguished road

Default

Hi, my wife is about to reach the 5 year mark on her PRP. We would like to apply for her for Citizenship ASAP but as we are living abroad most of the time (I am employed abroad) we are not sure if this is possible.

I understand that you have to be in SA for a period of time before applying without leaving, but I am wondering if there is some clause allowing for us to apply because my wife is living with her SA husband who is employed abroad?

If anyone knows anything about a situation like this I would greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks
David

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2019, 07:25 AM
KGM KGM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Durban
Posts: 66
Rep Power: 0
KGM is on a distinguished road
4 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from zimbabwe. Users Flag! Expat in southafrica.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_meer View Post
Hi, my wife is about to reach the 5 year mark on her PRP. We would like to apply for her for Citizenship ASAP but as we are living abroad most of the time (I am employed abroad) we are not sure if this is possible.

I understand that you have to be in SA for a period of time before applying without leaving, but I am wondering if there is some clause allowing for us to apply because my wife is living with her SA husband who is employed abroad?

If anyone knows anything about a situation like this I would greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks
David
Hi David. First check if your wife has not been outside SA for more than 3 years, uninterrupted by coming back to SA. If that is the case, her PRP lapses as part of the conditions. If she is compliant with above condition, then test if she complied with the spousal reporting requirements at 2 year mark, a compliance letter will be required as proof. If all is still clear, then arrange that she comes back to SA and apply for verification of her PRP (even if it was verified at ID issuance stage). This process takes anywhere in excess of 24 mths. Same time apply for special permission to be away in the 1 year preceding your actual PRP application submission. Outcome is unfortunately merit based and at the discretion of the Director General. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 21st October 2019, 07:45 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
david_meer is on a distinguished road

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
Hi David. First check if your wife has not been outside SA for more than 3 years, uninterrupted by coming back to SA. If that is the case, her PRP lapses as part of the conditions. If she is compliant with above condition, then test if she complied with the spousal reporting requirements at 2 year mark, a compliance letter will be required as proof. If all is still clear, then arrange that she comes back to SA and apply for verification of her PRP (even if it was verified at ID issuance stage). This process takes anywhere in excess of 24 mths. Same time apply for special permission to be away in the 1 year preceding your actual PRP application submission. Outcome is unfortunately merit based and at the discretion of the Director General. Hope this helps
Hi KGM and thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate it. I hope you dont mind some follow up questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
First check if your wife has not been outside SA for more than 3 years, uninterrupted by coming back to SA.
1. Yes, she has never been outside SA for more than 3 years, uninterrupted since issuing of PRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
test if she complied with the spousal reporting requirements at 2 year mark, a compliance letter will be required as proof.
2. How do we go about getting the letter you mention here? - We are married with kids so no problem proving this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
comes back to SA and apply for verification of her PRP (even if it was verified at ID issuance stage).
3. So after the 5 year mark we will then need to return to SA to get another verification of PRP? Do we do this at VFS again? Looking at the requirements I guess the "3 years uninterrupted" and "spousal requirements at 2 years" above are what is needed as proof here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM View Post
Same time apply for special permission to be away in the 1 year preceding your actual PRP application submission.
4.
a) Do you mean Citizenship Application Submission here - not PRP application submission?
b) Where do we apply for this? At Home Affairs Offices?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ACS - Work experience exactly 2 years - should i apply Anamica23 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 4 5th October 2016 06:36 AM
Should i Apply for ACS assesment on just completing 4 years of Experience ? jcheema Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 7 12th August 2015 06:56 AM
Bsc Electronics (4 Years) want to apply as Systems Administrator. amajidpasha Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 1 25th April 2014 06:16 PM
after 5 years can apply for PR ahsan89 Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 4 12th February 2014 01:31 PM
Anyway I can apply for Australian Citizenship , without waiting 4 years? aus1111 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 27th June 2013 08:56 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.