Supper club/book club/ kindle lenders

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Middle East & Africa > Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai > The Sandpit

The Sandpit This forum is for socialising, networking and off topic discussions for all members either living in or moving to the Middle East and North Africa

Like Tree7Likes

Supper club/book club/ kindle lenders


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21st February 2012, 02:45 PM
tarin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default Supper club/book club/ kindle lenders

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of (or is interested in creating) a couples supper club and wine club where we alternate eating out at various upscale restaurants, or rotating dinners at our various homes, could do a theme related to books or something else. Also if you have any suggestions on book clubs in general, or drama clubs, or writing clubs, that info would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for kindle owners club where we can lend our books to other members etc for free.
Thanks. Anne


Last edited by tarin; 21st February 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:38 AM
CarlZA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,138
Rep Power: 219595
CarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond reputeCarlZA has a reputation beyond repute
115 likes received
66 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from southafrica. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

What exactly is meant with upscale restaurant?

__________________
http://soundcloud.com/carlza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:54 AM
tarin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlZA View Post
What exactly is meant with upscale restaurant?
Just interesting menu/food/wine-- Can be any price point, but trying to avoid the chain restaurants etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:34 AM
indoMLA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Dirty Third
Posts: 1,303
Rep Power: 437506
indoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond reputeindoMLA has a reputation beyond repute
365 likes received
466 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarin View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of (or is interested in creating) a couples supper club and wine club where we alternate eating out at various upscale restaurants, or rotating dinners at our various homes, could do a theme related to books or something else. Also if you have any suggestions on book clubs in general, or drama clubs, or writing clubs, that info would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for kindle owners club where we can lend our books to other members etc for free.
Thanks. Anne
WTF is Supper? You're from the US and you say supper? I am disappoint.... This ain't Canada, it is called DINNER. You're changing...

Why couples only? You saying that single people don't like to eat, pray, love... er, sorry, I mean... eat, drink, and read?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:20 PM
tarin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoMLA View Post
WTF is Supper? You're from the US and you say supper? I am disappoint.... This ain't Canada, it is called DINNER. You're changing...

Why couples only? You saying that single people don't like to eat, pray, love... er, sorry, I mean... eat, drink, and read?
how about i call it: Eating Food At Interesting Restaurants And Drink Wine Sometime After Dusk CLUB.

Didn't think single people liked to hang out with married folk. But of course anyone who is interested to try it is welcome, as i can tell from the overwhelming response to my thread, it will be dinner for ONE.
(uh oh, ALERT !! American Language Police be aware i said FOLK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:02 PM
Jynxgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,890
Rep Power: 868876
Jynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond repute
930 likes received
1355 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

It's a midwest thing I would assume Indo We say supper in Kansas. Sorry Tarin, just geting in a poke at Indo

We did use to have restaurant nights out every so often. Seems no posters been doing much of anything lately.

Had a few book club get togethers, but that hasnt been posted about in a long time.

There was an artsy club as well that was tried to get together, but none of that group has posted much later.

No one has tried a kindle book loan thing so ???

What does tend to happen though is that everyone will say they want to do something, want to meet people, want to get out....

AND NO ONE SHOWS UP.




__________________
And my time in the Truman Show of Dubai finally came to an end. Total time in Dubai - 3years,8 months, and 8 days Way too long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:49 PM
tarin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxgirl View Post
It's a midwest thing I would assume Indo We say supper in Kansas. Sorry Tarin, just geting in a poke at Indo

We did use to have restaurant nights out every so often. Seems no posters been doing much of anything lately.

Had a few book club get togethers, but that hasnt been posted about in a long time.

There was an artsy club as well that was tried to get together, but none of that group has posted much later.

No one has tried a kindle book loan thing so ???

What does tend to happen though is that everyone will say they want to do something, want to meet people, want to get out....

AND NO ONE SHOWS UP.
SO funny! I'm from the midwest (if you count Chicago where I grew up) , but lived in NYC for years and now here. Yeah, I thought I would try at least, thanks for the 411 on this. What is this forum for then? forgive me I'm confused is it just for info or for socializing? I'm not new here (depends on the semantic police of this forum but I would like to meet some people. As I spend most of my days writing reading and playing piano and of course studying wine (ok drinking wine... ) Well if anyone including you is interested let me know!! AND I APPRECIATE YOUR POST-- Seriously, this Dubai Expat Forum makes people from NYC look like cupcakes-- tough crowd!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:18 PM
Jynxgirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,890
Rep Power: 868876
Jynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond reputeJynxgirl has a reputation beyond repute
930 likes received
1355 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

I would bet it you ask the owner of the forum what it is for, would be some this and that about bringing expats together but... in the end, isnt it always about money ??

Forum is what you make of it.

Most people come, get info about moving to what country they are intersted in, move or dont, and have those intial questions. If move, might go to a few initial meetups, meet some folks, and form their own little group and move on....

Few of the regular posters see it as their online social forum and have a 'rapore' if you will each other.

I dont tend to drink but really cant stand the taste of wine even though I did try to for a while, think Pat Green with his guitar standing on a stage is great live music, and reading from the kindle is something one does if have nothing else to do (I read ALOT HERE).

You can always post an event and see if anyone will show up




__________________
And my time in the Truman Show of Dubai finally came to an end. Total time in Dubai - 3years,8 months, and 8 days Way too long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22nd February 2012, 06:57 PM
tarin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxgirl View Post
I would bet it you ask the owner of the forum what it is for, would be some this and that about bringing expats together but... in the end, isnt it always about money ??

Forum is what you make of it.

Most people come, get info about moving to what country they are intersted in, move or dont, and have those intial questions. If move, might go to a few initial meetups, meet some folks, and form their own little group and move on....

Few of the regular posters see it as their online social forum and have a 'rapore' if you will each other.

I dont tend to drink but really cant stand the taste of wine even though I did try to for a while, think Pat Green with his guitar standing on a stage is great live music, and reading from the kindle is something one does if have nothing else to do (I read ALOT HERE).

You can always post an event and see if anyone will show up
LOL!!!! that's funny-- ALSO thanks for the 411---
I READ A LOT as well, almost a book every other day (i kid you NOT)
I guess I will try and post an event (what have I got to lose, I have no friends here yet)

I was a lawyer in NYC (ok now I realize no one will ever come to an event or respond to me) but I AM REFORMED-- I am enjoying my life and just want to have some fun.

I will post an event and hope some one will show up (stranger things have happened)

Thanks!
WendyDarling likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23rd February 2012, 05:35 AM
ccr's Avatar
ccr ccr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,586
Rep Power: 549441
ccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond reputeccr has a reputation beyond repute
637 likes received
888 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarin View Post
... I spend most of my days writing reading and playing piano and of course studying wine (ok drinking wine...
And I thought I had a tough life...

I definitely don't have time to read on the Kindle as much as you, but a book / week is the average so MIGHT be interested in the Kindle book club - but not sure if others would be interested in my boring book choices.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
book club sara_holmes Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 18 23rd February 2012 06:35 AM
Book Club MaidenScotland The Expat Forum Lounge 131 27th March 2011 01:06 PM
Book club Mohammed-Awaad Abu Dhabi and other UAE Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UAE 14 17th March 2011 07:04 AM
Book Club ipshi Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 24 5th September 2010 07:19 PM
book club in laranca? astunga Cyprus Expat Forum for Expats Living in Cyprus 12 17th August 2009 05:26 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.