Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   Philippines Expat Forum (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/philippines-expat-forum/)
-   -   WiFi has been hacked (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/philippines-expat-forum/624817-wifi-has-been-hacked.html)

M.C.A. 14th December 2014 10:30 AM

WiFi has been hacked
 
My in-laws have been asking me for my WiFi password and of course I won't give that out, so yesterday they were able to some how hack into my PLDT account.

I did managed to download a program that alerts me to all the device's logged under my DSL and sure enough something did pop up, so I sent my son and wife down and sure enough my son found an In-law hiding behind a banana tree surfing the web, wife started yelling at me to turn off the WiFi and that's when the in-law got up and walked off I guess he shut off his cell phone and my software then gave me a red X next to the MAC address and as soon as my wife came up stairs he was back on again, the red X disappeared.... shameless.

I performed a quick search and found that you can download software that can hack the password so is there a way a fix for this? Has anyone dealt with this issue and how to fix this. :( I have a PLDT Baudtec rn243r4 router, may need to take it in to PLDT for help.

I've never used a WiFi before so I'm somewhat clueless and have been scouring the web for answers but I'm having trouble, so I'm not sure changing the password will work.

To make matter worse I did a perimeter walk with my tablet and my WiFi reaches across the street, in-laws and neighbors are one big happy family when it comes to free goods and services but I'm getting tired of it, it's been a real one-way relationship.

Asian Spirit 14th December 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalleyboy (Post 5974353)
My in-laws have been asking me for my WiFi password and of course I won't give that out, so yesterday they were able to some how hack into my PLDT account.

I did managed to download a program that alerts me to all the device's logged under my DSL and sure enough something did pop up, so I sent my son and wife down and sure enough my son found an In-law hiding behind a banana tree surfing the web, wife started yelling at me to turn off the WiFi and that's when the in-law got up and walked off I guess he shut off his cell phone and my software then gave me a red X next to the MAC address and as soon as my wife came up stairs he was back on again, the red X disappeared.... shameless.

I performed a quick search and found that you can download software that can hack the password so is there a way a fix for this? Has anyone dealt with this issue and how to fix this. :( I have a PLDT Baudtec rn243r4 router, may need to take it in to PLDT for help.

I've never used a WiFi before so I'm somewhat clueless and have been scouring the web for answers but I'm having trouble, so I'm not sure changing the password will work.

To make matter worse I did a perimeter walk with my tablet and my WiFi reaches across the street, in-laws and neighbors are one big happy family when it comes to free goods and services but I'm getting tired of it, it's been a real one-way relationship.

If it were me, the very first thing I would do is to completely and forever end any relationship with her family. I mean food, financial assistance, emergency help. I would even go so far as to install a fence they can not get over or through without coming in contact with an electric fence or a DEADLY guard dog--Period!

I would trash the PLDT provided WIFI unit as they probably have a friend or friend of a friend that can provide all of PLDT passwords to them for something in exchange.

Until you get to a good quality mall PC/WIFI store I would check "C-Net" for a possible download of a WIFI password security program.
But most definitely I would get rid of the PLDT provided WIFI unit at once..

pakawala 14th December 2014 12:03 PM

how to change password

Free software to monitorwho is using your wifi and BLOCK who you do not want connected to your wifi.
Who Is On My WiFi | Wiress Network Security Software

Note: Even if you change your password, relatives and others can still access your new password if they have any access to your hardware devices.

simonsays 14th December 2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Lag (Post 5974737)
If it were me, the very first thing I would do is to completely and forever end any relationship with her family. I mean food, financial assistance, emergency help. I would even go so far as to install a fence they can not get over or through without coming in contact with an electric fence or a DEADLY guard dog--Period!

I would trash the PLDT provided WIFI unit as they probably have a friend or friend of a friend that can provide all of PLDT passwords to them for something in exchange.

Until you get to a good quality mall PC/WIFI store I would check "C-Net" for a possible download of a WIFI password security program.
But most definitely I would get rid of the PLDT provided WIFI unit at once..

You can mac filter so only those in the list can connect ...

Less drastic!

HondaGuy 14th December 2014 12:38 PM

MAC Address filtering sounds like the best solution to your problem.

If your PLDT modem doesnt support that, then buy a router that does (like a Linksys), disable the Wifi on the PLDT modem, connect the Linksys to the modem and connect via Wifi to the Linksys.

Adding all the MAC addresses can be a pain in the rear, but can be worth it.

Also, make sure you are using WPA2 encryption on your access point. WEP and WPA can be cracked.

Good luck!

M.C.A. 14th December 2014 03:12 PM

I Live in Fort Knox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Lag (Post 5974737)
If it were me, the very first thing I would do is to completely and forever end any relationship with her family. I mean food, financial assistance, emergency help. I would even go so far as to install a fence they can not get over or through without coming in contact with an electric fence or a DEADLY guard dog--Period!

I would trash the PLDT provided WIFI unit as they probably have a friend or friend of a friend that can provide all of PLDT passwords to them for something in exchange.

Until you get to a good quality mall PC/WIFI store I would check "C-Net" for a possible download of a WIFI password security program.
But most definitely I would get rid of the PLDT provided WIFI unit at once..

I have a steel gate and my three entrance doors all have smaller steel gates. In-laws no longer get anything from us, a very long story with many, many forgiveness's but enough is enough some in-laws are meant to be stuck in the trash can they live in, not every poor person here is worth saving.

Brother in-laws wife had a stroke two weeks ago, still waiting for her to die, and they've asked me 3 times for money, I can't wait for her to kick the bucket, she dogged us badly, I've never said that about anybody, so this is a first.

I have a small dog that never barks he's come along way he only will bark when in intruder comes close to the house, so he's not big but extremely effective.

Jet gonna try out all these options, I'm not sure this PLDT has a MAC address option but I'm gonna try if not I'll have to save up for the unit with this option.

M.C.A. 14th December 2014 03:59 PM

Password won't do it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pakawala (Post 5974793)
how to change password
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45RZb0Ec6yo

Free software to monitorwho is using your wifi and BLOCK who you do not want connected to your wifi.
Who Is On My WiFi | Wiress Network Security Software

Note: Even if you change your password, relatives and others can still access your new password if they have any access to your hardware devices.

Great point the password won't do it, they can use the software to crack it again, this has been a learning experience for me, so I went with the MAC filtering option and my unit had it, and it was easier then the video's of other units, thanks for this video Pakawala it had a short cut to another video on how to MAC filter. :)

M.C.A. 14th December 2014 04:05 PM

Good news and thank you all for your replies, the first video at the end had a short cut on how I can set up MAC filtering (best option it looks like), with the other recommendations from eurcrlix, Honda Guy, thank you! I put it all together and figured it out, these units are all different from the video's so went with the basic set up spots or area's to make the modification and it turns out that my unit is very easy to set up, easier then the video on a different branded router, I added my tablet and my wife's cell phone....Yea! And a fist up at my in-laws and one more triumph of defeating them and their dastardly ways.

cvgtpc1 14th December 2014 08:00 PM

Right on! Nice to be victorious.

pagbati 14th December 2014 10:43 PM

Telling it how it is!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalleyboy (Post 5976049)
I have a steel gate and my three entrance doors all have smaller steel gates. In-laws no longer get anything from us, a very long story with many, many forgiveness's but enough is enough some in-laws are meant to be stuck in the trash can they live in, not every poor person here is worth saving.

Brother in-laws wife had a stroke two weeks ago, still waiting for her to die, and they've asked me 3 times for money, I can't wait for her to kick the bucket, she dogged us badly, I've never said that about anybody, so this is a first.

mcalleyboy, Sorry to hear about your hassle and glad to hear that you're on your way to resolving this latest 'test'. Don't take this the wrong way but I do find your posts entertaining - and informative of course; you certainly tell it how it is! Keep those posts coming and good luck with the in-laws. :fingerscrossed:


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.