Amazon and DHL

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum

Philippines Expat Forum The Philippines Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Philippines their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Philippines to meet and discuss all aspects to their new way of life.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Manitoba
  • 1 Post By Manitoba
  • 1 Post By DonAndAbby

Amazon and DHL


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23rd June 2020, 03:35 AM
Manitoba's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mandaluyong City
Posts: 1,004
Rep Power: 171
Manitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud of
1023 likes received
186 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Amazon and DHL

On 24 May I placed an Amazon order. It was sent to my re shipper in Florida. All three packages were sent from places east of the Mississippi to Florida then reshipped by DHL to the Philippines.

It took about 2 weeks for Amazon and USPS to deliver all three. One left the same day and was delivered in a couple days, the others were several days to ship and then several days in transit to Florida. I had selected free 2 day shipping on my prime membership.

The re-shipper was more tan a week backed up. They log in all the packages to your account then you generate a shipping request. My last package to arrive was not ready for reshipping until 8 days post delivery.(Currently their site is showing about a 10 day backlog.)

I picked same day shipping because of the delays, normally that is $5 but it is now $20. DHL transit time was normal and it arrived in Manila on Thursday 19 Jun. The usual is almost immediate customs clearance and delivery the next day. However as of today it is still on customs delay. I have no idea if that is an actual delay for customs reasons or a delay in customs or within DHL due to low staffing levels.

Normal time from ordering to in hand in Manila is 2 weeks plus or minus, I am now a month and still in Customs.


Now with Cebu city in ECQ, LBC is stating slow delivery and transit times through there so my friend in Manila may not get it into LBC to send on to Moalboal for a while even if it is delivered right away.
HondaGuy likes this.


Last edited by Manitoba; 23rd June 2020 at 03:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:34 PM
HondaGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manama
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 168
HondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to behold
255 likes received
397 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in bahrain.
Default

Manitoba, which reshipper do you like to use and if you dont mind me asking, what do they charge to ship a parcel like what you just had shipped? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Subic Bay
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 132
esv1226 has a spectacular aura aboutesv1226 has a spectacular aura aboutesv1226 has a spectacular aura about
212 likes received
177 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

I had ordered some goods from Amazon for delivery to Subic. I remember I had to pay 100 pesos for taxes. Amazon may not deliver certain items but they'll let you know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 01:52 AM
Manitoba's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mandaluyong City
Posts: 1,004
Rep Power: 171
Manitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud of
1023 likes received
186 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

I am using myus.com. They charge a $7 per month membership fee if you want them to hold packages. If you use the free account then it is a automatic sending every package individually.

They ship strictly on a weight basis, no additional charge for bulks items. They do not collect customs and duty so I keep my orders under 10,000 p to avoid that cost.

You have the option of DHL, FedEx etc costs start about $40 per package then go up depending on weight and level of service. They have a $20 immediate shipping fee (up from $5) and add in insurance automatically. If hazardous goods or items that require special handling they have a fee structure for that as well

You can get a cost estimate from their web site very easily. My incoming shipment was $80 for fastest DHL (a couple bucks more than FedEx but I have always had good experience from DHL). This was around 5 or 6 lbs shipping weight. This $80 includes the express shipping fee and insurance. There were 6 different items in my order, one of them an electric razor would have been $40 shipping alone direct from Amazon to the Philippines, the remaining items wold have been $15 to $20 each so I saved money overall.

If you are ordering several items or any items that does not ship to the Philippines from Amazon then I recommend looking at them or one of their competitors.


They also have a service that allows them to receive regular US mail on your behalf and will send it to you. ( I think you have a scan and email option.) This is a little pricey and since I would not use it I never looked into it very much. They can receive USPS parcels but to receive US first class mail for you they need a special form to be submitted. (IIRC this form needs to be notarized.)
HondaGuy likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 631
Rep Power: 192
DonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond repute
549 likes received
369 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba View Post
I am using myus.com. They charge a $7 per month membership fee if you want them to hold packages. If you use the free account then it is a automatic sending every package individually.

They ship strictly on a weight basis, no additional charge for bulks items. They do not collect customs and duty so I keep my orders under 10,000 p to avoid that cost.

You have the option of DHL, FedEx etc costs start about $40 per package then go up depending on weight and level of service. They have a $20 immediate shipping fee (up from $5) and add in insurance automatically. If hazardous goods or items that require special handling they have a fee structure for that as well

You can get a cost estimate from their web site very easily. My incoming shipment was $80 for fastest DHL (a couple bucks more than FedEx but I have always had good experience from DHL). This was around 5 or 6 lbs shipping weight. This $80 includes the express shipping fee and insurance. There were 6 different items in my order, one of them an electric razor would have been $40 shipping alone direct from Amazon to the Philippines, the remaining items wold have been $15 to $20 each so I saved money overall.

If you are ordering several items or any items that does not ship to the Philippines from Amazon then I recommend looking at them or one of their competitors.


They also have a service that allows them to receive regular US mail on your behalf and will send it to you. ( I think you have a scan and email option.) This is a little pricey and since I would not use it I never looked into it very much. They can receive USPS parcels but to receive US first class mail for you they need a special form to be submitted. (IIRC this form needs to be notarized.)
I use ShippingCart.com and also Amazon direct. Both have worked well but it has been over a year since I have shipped. I'm getting an order(s) ready on Amazon for shipping in the next week or so.

Maybe 18 mo or 2 years ago Amazon dropped their shipping rates to the Philippines and I think it was due to a deal with UPS. All of my shipments from Amazon came on UPS very quickly (pre-Covid), better than promised. I think that is partially because UPS is flying into Clark as their mini-hub, so we are only an hour away in Subic.

I don't find the Amazon rates structured as you are saying. Usually the first item is around $27-30 and then additional items are only a few $ each. However, I just discovered I have an issue at Amazon. I use my PH address for shopping and it is supposed to show me only items that ship to PH. Then when I am in the cart to check out, it says they can't ship to the Philippines! So I guess I will use ShippingCart.

ShippingCart is owned by LBC. I'm not sure how they get their air shipments over here but I suspect they have a bulk space deal with either UPS, DHL or Fedex. There are not really any commercial flights right now.

I just did a quick estimate on a 10 lb package. $79 by air with 21 day estimate. Only $28 by sea with 62 day estimate. Their air used to be less than 10 days. Not worth it now, so I will ship by sea which is actually BB Box mode.
HondaGuy likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 09:53 AM
Gary D's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hermosa Bataan
Posts: 1,805
Rep Power: 225
Gary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud of
1642 likes received
352 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAndAbby View Post
I use ShippingCart.com and also Amazon direct. Both have worked well but it has been over a year since I have shipped. I'm getting an order(s) ready on Amazon for shipping in the next week or so.

Maybe 18 mo or 2 years ago Amazon dropped their shipping rates to the Philippines and I think it was due to a deal with UPS. All of my shipments from Amazon came on UPS very quickly (pre-Covid), better than promised. I think that is partially because UPS is flying into Clark as their mini-hub, so we are only an hour away in Subic.

I don't find the Amazon rates structured as you are saying. Usually the first item is around $27-30 and then additional items are only a few $ each. However, I just discovered I have an issue at Amazon. I use my PH address for shopping and it is supposed to show me only items that ship to PH. Then when I am in the cart to check out, it says they can't ship to the Philippines! So I guess I will use ShippingCart.

ShippingCart is owned by LBC. I'm not sure how they get their air shipments over here but I suspect they have a bulk space deal with either UPS, DHL or Fedex. There are not really any commercial flights right now.

I just did a quick estimate on a 10 lb package. $79 by air with 21 day estimate. Only $28 by sea with 62 day estimate. Their air used to be less than 10 days. Not worth it now, so I will ship by sea which is actually BB Box mode.
Commercial Airlines carry a lot of freight probably why check-in allowances have shrunk, more room for paying freight. Cathey Pacific have been using their commercial fleet for cargo during the lockdown, and quite profitably.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 631
Rep Power: 192
DonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond repute
549 likes received
369 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAndAbby View Post
I use ShippingCart.com and also Amazon direct. Both have worked well but it has been over a year since I have shipped. I'm getting an order(s) ready on Amazon for shipping in the next week or so.

Maybe 18 mo or 2 years ago Amazon dropped their shipping rates to the Philippines and I think it was due to a deal with UPS. All of my shipments from Amazon came on UPS very quickly (pre-Covid), better than promised. I think that is partially because UPS is flying into Clark as their mini-hub, so we are only an hour away in Subic.

I don't find the Amazon rates structured as you are saying. Usually the first item is around $27-30 and then additional items are only a few $ each. However, I just discovered I have an issue at Amazon. I use my PH address for shopping and it is supposed to show me only items that ship to PH. Then when I am in the cart to check out, it says they can't ship to the Philippines! So I guess I will use ShippingCart.

ShippingCart is owned by LBC. I'm not sure how they get their air shipments over here but I suspect they have a bulk space deal with either UPS, DHL or Fedex. There are not really any commercial flights right now.

I just did a quick estimate on a 10 lb package. $79 by air with 21 day estimate. Only $28 by sea with 62 day estimate. Their air used to be less than 10 days. Not worth it now, so I will ship by sea which is actually BB Box mode.
I sent a message about something to Shipping Box and in their automated reply it had this:

While waiting for the Specialist, please note that uploading of items to your cart will take 9-12 days from date received in our warehouse. We truly apologize for this, the surge in volume coupled with Shelter-in-Place lockdown restrictions in California has affected our manpower and operations heavily. We are currently processing items received at our warehouse last June 09, PST.

9-12 days of no accountability is not acceptable, so I won't be using them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 631
Rep Power: 192
DonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond reputeDonAndAbby has a reputation beyond repute
549 likes received
369 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
Commercial Airlines carry a lot of freight probably why check-in allowances have shrunk, more room for paying freight. Cathey Pacific have been using their commercial fleet for cargo during the lockdown, and quite profitably.
Yes, passenger flights carry a lot of cargo but generally speaking the revenue is much better from a passenger than cargo. However, it would appear they must be getting paid premium cargo prices to move all this PPE around. Cathay has 20 747 freighters so if they are loading passenger planes with all cargo, cargo business must be booming.

Not sure how many cargo flights PH is getting. I saw that PAL also loaded PPE in passenger seats for a few flights.

Check-in allowances have shrunk on pure profit motive, which may involve cargo. It is all about revenue per kilo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24th June 2020, 02:56 PM
HondaGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manama
Posts: 307
Rep Power: 168
HondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to beholdHondaGuy is a splendid one to behold
255 likes received
397 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in bahrain.
Default

Manitoba and Don, thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26th June 2020, 10:14 PM
Manitoba's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mandaluyong City
Posts: 1,004
Rep Power: 171
Manitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud ofManitoba has much to be proud of
1023 likes received
186 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

My parcel was delivered yesterday, one month and 2 days after ordering from Amazon. Now my friend in Manila will send it to me LBC here in Cebu Province, not sure how long to get through the LBC system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.