Safety/security in the Philippines - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum

Philippines Expat Forum The Philippines Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Philippines their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Philippines to meet and discuss all aspects to their new way of life.

Like Tree90Likes

Safety/security in the Philippines - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 20th August 2019, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Los banos
Posts: 126
Rep Power: 72
expatuk2016 has a spectacular aura aboutexpatuk2016 has a spectacular aura aboutexpatuk2016 has a spectacular aura about
164 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Been in this Paradise now for 8 years in October.
I dont drive here anymore , we have a newish car and we hire a regular driver for long trips.
Which normally means weekly trips to the Japan surplus stores on the Tagatay-sta Rosa highway and SM and S&R
In Nuvali .and immigration when needed.
Local trips we use trycicles and jeeps.
I like jeepneys but hate riding in them and the looks i get when the wife says 2 seniors !
Security we have 4 CCTV cameras only one can be seen outside as it points to the main entrance and carport.
The other 3 cover various parts of the home and we have our very own Arnie ( our very loud and big dog )
CCTV RECORDS 24/7/365and the local barangay kapitan has often asked if we have seen various things on the front camera. Do i feel safe ?
Well i never go out on my own its always with my better half even for a haircut ! Just something we have done since we married, she does go to the market on her own to stop paying the foriegner price !
When we do go out in the car its usually with the wifes younger sister who is a college Professer hence its either Saturdays or Sundays we go out had our car from new in 2016 and its not yet done 20000 kms !
Overall where we are on the edge of Laguna De Bay everybody near knows me, and so do the local stores.
And yes i feel safer here than i did back in the UK !
M.C.A. likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 20th August 2019, 10:02 AM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 210
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1253 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak1946 View Post
hey Lefties

have you been keeping up on the mass murders we are having in the USA? the shootings here has gotten out of hand. I am afraid to go out in a large crowd now. so hearing about 1 murder a month in the Philippines doesn't seem to scare me very much.

We had 3 mass shootings here in just a month.

art
,of course I have,,,and that doesn't compare to the mass murder in Mindanao yrs back or the thousands that duterte has had killed by hit squads (innocent children also)without trials...wake up...very easy to sit in the usa comfort zone and dream of better things. The grass is always greener on the other side......just go live it for yrs and find out. I never went to the extent that these guys do with cctv etc or a dog.....but I know pilipinos who do. Don't think for a minute that you know the country better than someone born and raised there. If you choose to hide behind cameras,walls,and natives what kind of relaxation is that? I speak the language and everybody knows me well. I shop alone if needed etc but I realize one true fact. Im a foreigner and mean NOTHING to them and theres a lot of envy for a person they feel is rich. As stated many times,make yourself worth more alive. Just because they are smiling at you means little. You are just a money source. 2 of my good friends have been there 50 yrs,retired usmc and navy. You should hear the stories they convey. One finally left for good and one just went back after a 3 yr hiatus...only reason he did is because he hates living alone and he can buy all the companionship he craves at 78 yrs old.


Last edited by lefties43332; 20th August 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 12:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: florida
Posts: 362
Rep Power: 66
greenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of light
263 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

well lefties

I have been coming to the philippines for over 15 years now. I have been in Makati, Manila, Cebu city, Bogo, cebu, Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue, Davao city, Tagum city. So i have been around in the Philippines. I understand most are looking at the foreigner for money. It just takes some common sense when traveling and living there. I have never had a problem in the 15 years going there because I use my brains that god gave me to stay safe. have you travel all over the Philippines? not only have i traveled there for years I have lived there and I am coming back.

art
Nickleback99 likes this.


Last edited by greenstreak1946; 21st August 2019 at 12:56 AM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 04:06 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tagaytay
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 0
digitalchic is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
40 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.A. View Post
We had bared windows installed for sure and we've actually had men climbing up on our house so a window wouldn't work so well.

I've been robbed twice once by knife and the other time a gang of teenagers surrounded me and they have a routine on how to get your wallet they practice and this happened right in the middle of a busy intersection and nobody flinched, it was as if I wasn't there but it was a big fight and they got my wallet.

At our home we went from no gate to a main gate and a gate at each entrance to our home so we have 3 additional gates and this was all due to the boldness of either my wife's friends or strangers they'd walk right into our home while we are in bed or inside the home watching TV and demanded a party, food or money, I got tired of people ruining our privacy and then asking them to leave this happened to us several times because we had a bamboo home and at the time no money for gates.

My wife's friend lost her only son 3 days ago he was robbed of his trike and killed they stuck a knife in the back of his neck, they live just a block from us, the tent is up on the road and on the other side of the road a 6 year old girl was run over by a truck yesterday the neighbor didn't' see her, she was picking up peanuts that she dropped on road her parents sent her out to get because they were drinking. We've had murders over the years and usually over drinking and teasing but brutal either by bolo knife or gun.

But for the most part we travel by public transportation and for a time there were many robberies of buses but so fare we've been fortunate but the dangers are there we must always be vigilante, I've caught men stalking us while in the cities looking for any opportunity to take my wife's purse or surround me again, at times I've had to stick my wife's purse inside my shirt and tuck my shirt in.

When I did drive, my cars done but every now and then I'd come close to a confrontation, I sometimes would get angered and say something out loud and my wife's reply to me was to keep quiet because many people carry guns and they will kill you, so the bottom line is listen to your partners on your safety concerns they are very real, I live among the general population I don't live in any private neighborhood or special area other than with the In-laws.
Oh no!! This is horrible. I never experience anything like this so far besides stalking.

Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 04:19 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tagaytay
Posts: 42
Rep Power: 0
digitalchic is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
40 likes given

Default I feel safe in Tagaytay so far until..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
While this topic has been covered many and many times again I will share my humble experiences and, as I do waffle on. here it comes again.
Firstly 8/9 years ago visited this fine country with all its foibles, while working as I do in many foreign countries met my better half some 8 years ago. I always worked in the provinces, (film and television) in PH. and security was always or seemed to lay in the hands of the locals, never a problem (an old saying spring to mind, bullish*t baffles brains) and many lessons learnt from my interpreter who became a friend and offered a wealth of knowledge not only for my well being but also how to deal with the locals. Simply. Tell me what you want or expect, so much easier in the local dialect and while never expecting much, the goods were always delivered.....

Living in Manila 8 years ago with my better half never felt uncomfortable nor uneasy about my locale/situation and walked many miles, jumped on the train or Jeepny to go further than 8 or 10 kms. Never a problem apart from actually squeezing in and while my better half went to work every day, constantly told me not to go here or not to go there and it did wear thin as I am an explorer and though 1 year living in Manila in an ivory tower I went out and lurked, learnt carefully yes but never a problem, lucky? Perhaps. Nope simply cautious no different to travelling any foreign country nor walking down a sleazy back ally in Sydney or Michigan.

Some years ago we purchased a house and lot in one of the provinces in northern Luzon, My better half and some of his relatives insisted we put bars on the windows for security, why I asked my better half? For security. But the Canadian guy that built the house, lived here for 8 years survived didn't he? No but we need that, Ben, stop listening to your relatives and look at how the neighbours live here, no bars, no stupid barking dogs, most and yes also us will have cctv only because Ben purchased cctv in Oz, considered a necessity before we finally moved there........... is now not a worry and yeah if we have the time will install.

In the mean time when ones number is up it seriously matters not the country but whether or no one had a good life or grievances and that's it sport, bye.
Definitely location but also observation and "lol" being astute, selecting the area to live as we do, safe for me? I feel no different to living on our back waters property in Oz.
Hey only an opinion, next week I may have passed on for not putting bars on the windows, and listening to family advice.

As an expat in PH. feel safer here than Oz, probably not for personal safety reasons but more from a government in OZ scrabbling to screw you backwards and then do it again,,,,,, deregistered from voting because all of them are tarred with the same brush no different to here in PH. It's nice to simply worry about eradicating termites, and herding the goats and cows off the property and enjoying a very simpler life, as said safe yes, prosper? Time tells all.

Cheers, Steve.
Hi Steve, in my 5 months living here in Tagaytay, so far I feel safe. I have low fences and my garden looks so open. The foreign residents like the old German couples who lives here for 10 years now told me that they never experience any crime. They have no CCTV, even the streets has lights on bare minimum (only the highway has street lights and those yellowish almost faded bulbs).

My neighbors are 1 street away from me and I can go to the mall the whole day with my doors unlocked. It's so quiet here and I'm the only one making noises - playing loud music on Saturday nights, wine and partying.

I have solar lights outside, a lawn mower and no one dares to steal them. The fruits like pineapples, dragon fruits are also on the side of the road and people just pass by, ignoring it. I had 20 peso bill blown by the wind when I was paying and a tricycle driver chased it for me and gave it back when I said never mind.

I didn't want to install CCTVs and spotlights until the barangay captain is lurking around. His stalking habit started in April and he still does it when he gets drunk, he stops by at the corner of my house. I'm uncomfortable sitting in my own garden. so I confronted him and he denies saying he was just patrolling when he was in alcohol, I also think he's into drugs.

My CCTV has alarm system and I also informed the police but they are not doing anything about it unless something happens to me. - The justice system in the Philippines. They wait for things to happen before acting on it. As a woman living alone with no neighbors and people in sight, I use a lot of my senses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190617_191401_196.jpg (88.7 KB, 7 views)
Nickleback99 likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 09:44 AM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 210
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1253 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak1946 View Post
well lefties

I have been coming to the philippines for over 15 years now. I have been in Makati, Manila, Cebu city, Bogo, cebu, Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue, Davao city, Tagum city. So i have been around in the Philippines. I understand most are looking at the foreigner for money. It just takes some common sense when traveling and living there. I have never had a problem in the 15 years going there because I use my brains that god gave me to stay safe. have you travel all over the Philippines? not only have i traveled there for years I have lived there and I am coming back.

art
lol,,yes I have..you can look in my photo albums and see just a few of the places I have lived...many others destroyed in laptops in typhoons.and when youre there for 5-10 yrs your arguments or rants will hold water! Im waiting to see your pics!! You have been a weekend warrior or a visitor ,tourist so to speak,by your own admissions,so go ahead...make the move.... Well just do it!!!! See ppl all the time blabbing they will do this and that....still sitting in easy chair....if you would just read the forums some of your questions could be answered....but then again....I don't think youre looking for answers are you? Can you make some worthwhile contributions for us to enjoy? It would be nice if you would stop directing your post at me....hey lefties..


Last edited by lefties43332; 21st August 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 114
bigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to all
670 likes received
739 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefties43332 View Post
lol,,yes I have..you can look in my photo albums and see just a few of the places I have lived...many others destroyed in laptops in typhoons.and when youre there for 5-10 yrs your arguments or rants will hold water! Im waiting to see your pics!! You have been a weekend warrior or a visitor ,tourist so to speak,by your own admissions,so go ahead...make the move.... Well just do it!!!! See ppl all the time blabbing they will do this and that....still sitting in easy chair....if you would just read the forums some of your questions could be answered....but then again....I don't think youre looking for answers are you? Can you make some worthwhile contributions for us to enjoy? It would be nice if you would stop directing your post at me....hey lefties..
Hear you lefties as I too had a few misgivings earlier with Greeny, perhaps here and other forums, old timers can be a b*tch. Don't think he he is calling you out but simply offering his 2 bobs worth from his/a different perspective (that's who he is no different to you or I) as I and other members do, good and bad. God knows I prattle on incessantly to be heard, offering meagre experiences or simply stating known facts from past experience. According to your philosophies I too am a weekend contributor and accordingly will be so until I have lived in the Philippines for what, 20? 40 years. Definitely not hanging sh*t Steve but will offer/suggest that this is an open forum and as we all do sprout (yes I'm guilty) offer, contribute and yes at times retaliate and as long as it's reiterated correctly, diplomacy wins the day and this forum will be successful and offer us the members, new and old somewhere to chew the fat and find affiliations or simply information and we never see them again. 1 or 2 time immigrants.

Contributions from new and old alike make what we have, a simple forum and there are plenty about but as one goes on within that realm, learns, sees and prospers, sits back/contributes. A direct attack? We have moderators for every thing in between. I am happy to participate in this forum and sprout my s*it because it is relevant to me as all members do,,,,,,,, groan, think I yet again wandered off topic, slap me Mark if I did.

All in all this is a great forum, though lethargic at times has interesting members from all walks of life that are willing to give/show/ask opinions and/or retaliate offer oft times sublime truths for those willing to listen/decipher. Ask a question, offer info, we are all not tarred with the same brush, humility and tolerance I am learning, long way to go yet.
Yes I do make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Cheers, Steve.

Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 12:33 PM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 210
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1253 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
Hear you lefties as I too had a few misgivings earlier with Greeny, perhaps here and other forums, old timers can be a b*tch. Don't think he he is calling you out but simply offering his 2 bobs worth from his/a different perspective (that's who he is no different to you or I) as I and other members do, good and bad. God knows I prattle on incessantly to be heard, offering meagre experiences or simply stating known facts from past experience. According to your philosophies I too am a weekend contributor and accordingly will be so until I have lived in the Philippines for what, 20? 40 years. Definitely not hanging sh*t Steve but will offer/suggest that this is an open forum and as we all do sprout (yes I'm guilty) offer, contribute and yes at times retaliate and as long as it's reiterated correctly, diplomacy wins the day and this forum will be successful and offer us the members, new and old somewhere to chew the fat and find affiliations or simply information and we never see them again. 1 or 2 time immigrants.

Contributions from new and old alike make what we have, a simple forum and there are plenty about but as one goes on within that realm, learns, sees and prospers, sits back/contributes. A direct attack? We have moderators for every thing in between. I am happy to participate in this forum and sprout my s*it because it is relevant to me as all members do,,,,,,,, groan, think I yet again wandered off topic, slap me Mark if I did.

All in all this is a great forum, though lethargic at times has interesting members from all walks of life that are willing to give/show/ask opinions and/or retaliate offer oft times sublime truths for those willing to listen/decipher. Ask a question, offer info, we are all not tarred with the same brush, humility and tolerance I am learning, long way to go yet.
Yes I do make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Cheers, Steve.
Agreed!!
M.C.A. likes this.

Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 12:58 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Banos Laguna
Posts: 2,606
Rep Power: 276
M.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond repute
2107 likes received
6592 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Sometimes you just got to vent and I've been guilty of that heck I was banned actually on my first posting I was stateside 2008 but when I returned to the Philippines I purchased a new computer and had a new IP address and was able to get back on, I think I may have also asked to come back to the forum and I'd be more civil.

We lost a new member a few months back I wasn't the moderator at the time and Gene was sick but nobody was aware of just how sick Gene was and this guy vented big time and he got reported and banned I wish I could remember who he was because I can bring him back by asking him to be more civil, this guy had been here 6 years had 6 kids and wife was trouble and he worked odd jobs to get by he could only bring in 10,000 pesos a month but he would have been interesting and to hear a perspective from somebody who's poor and struggling working in Manila and I'll bet there are many like that here as well as those that are well off, actually I met a younger American man I'd guess his age at 21 that had married a Filippina and we were coming out of McDonald's and I struck up a conversation with him and I asked so are you a Permanent Resident yet or do you need help on this... And it was like I slapped him in the face he said why should I have to mess with my Immigration my wife is a Philippino citizen... ugh I just let that part of the conversation go and we talked just a bit and that was it, so an example of how you can get stuck here and then no job no pension for sure.

__________________


Always be vigilant.
Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 21st August 2019, 01:02 PM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 210
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1253 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.A. View Post
Sometimes you just got to vent and I've been guilty of that heck I was banned actually on my first posting I was stateside 2008 but when I returned to the Philippines I purchased a new computer and had a new IP address and was able to get back on, I think I may have also asked to come back to the forum and I'd be more civil.

We lost a new member a few months back I wasn't the moderator at the time and Gene was sick but nobody was aware of just how sick Gene was and this guy vented big time and he got reported and banned I wish I could remember who he was because I can bring him back by asking him to be more civil, this guy had been here 6 years had 6 kids and wife was trouble and he worked odd jobs to get by he could only bring in 10,000 pesos a month but he would have been interesting and to hear a perspective from somebody who's poor and struggling working in Manila and I'll bet there are many like that here as well as those that are well off, actually I met a younger American man I'd guess his age at 21 that had married a Filippina and we were coming out of McDonald's and I struck up a conversation with him and I asked so are you a Permanent Resident yet or do you need help on this... And it was like I slapped him in the face he said why should I have to mess with my Immigration my wife is a Philippino citizen... ugh I just let that part of the conversation go and we talked just a bit and that was it, so an example of how you can get stuck here and then no job no pension for sure.
I think I remember that guy Mark and yes....venting is ok ..
M.C.A. likes this.

Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.