Termites and ants. - Page 2

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum

Philippines Expat Forum The Philippines Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Philippines their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Philippines to meet and discuss all aspects to their new way of life.

Like Tree56Likes

Termites and ants. - Page 2


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11th July 2019, 02:37 PM
Tiz Tiz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bonifacio Global City
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 0
Tiz is on a distinguished road
94 likes received
71 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak1946 View Post
hey guys,

trouble with living in a multi-unit building is if the others people don't keep the cock roaches under control then it is a never ending battle for one unit to keep them out. The roaches travel.

art
We live in a condo and we put down roach baits that we buy from True Value.

Immediately, they are gone for about 2 months before we need to lay fresh baits.

Just have to be careful if you have small kids or pets.
Nickleback99 and digitalchic like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2019, 03:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: florida
Posts: 399
Rep Power: 70
greenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of light
288 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

hey Tiz

yes you will always have to keep putting down roach control every few months in a condo units. Like I said it all depends on the other people keeping up on the roaches. I am a remolding contractor i n the USA. I have dealt with this problem most of my life.

you could live in townhouses which are connected to each other on the ground. if some dont care to live with roaches then it makes the others difficult to control them.

art
digitalchic likes this.


Last edited by greenstreak1946; 12th July 2019 at 03:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 24th July 2019, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Isabela
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 0
Danman is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
61 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Hogrider coating timber with solignum is a good idea we did that to our timber and it seems to work, I think termites are a problem everywhere in the Philippines..
hogrider, M.C.A. and digitalchic like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 27th July 2019, 02:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 895
Rep Power: 119
bigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to all
712 likes received
800 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

I have come to the conclusion that the termites here have CCTV set up in our house. Crafty little blighters.
We purchase a cheap bathroom mirror a week ago, plastic coated/perhaps powder coated timber frame, plastic lined back, mirror front and I hung it on the wall. 4 days later the termites were building their track to the mirror. Travelling behind the wall tiles they found a tiny hole in the grout and presto. They don't like surface spray but hundreds if not thousands kamikaze a path for the troops to walk over keeping their feet clean. Though very annoying and frustrating have found it interesting to watch and learn how tenacious they can be. Interestingly the ants never noticed the latest intrusion this time.

Cheers, Steve.
Nickleback99 and digitalchic like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 27th July 2019, 03:50 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Banos Laguna
Posts: 2,667
Rep Power: 284
M.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond repute
2137 likes received
6749 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Termites

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the termites here have CCTV set up in our house. Crafty little blighters.
We purchase a cheap bathroom mirror a week ago, plastic coated/perhaps powder coated timber frame, plastic lined back, mirror front and I hung it on the wall. 4 days later the termites were building their track to the mirror. Travelling behind the wall tiles they found a tiny hole in the grout and presto. They don't like surface spray but hundreds if not thousands kamikaze a path for the troops to walk over keeping their feet clean. Though very annoying and frustrating have found it interesting to watch and learn how tenacious they can be. Interestingly the ants never noticed the latest intrusion this time.

Cheers, Steve.
Steve the softer or low grade items made of wood get eaten up, I'm watching both of our large wall units slowly turning to paper and I've taken them outside and used bug spray and they only come back and start on another area. My roof has 3 years max and it has to be replaced but this time with iron or iron bars.

There is a wood here I think it's called Iron wood it's really heavy and I'm not sure I'd want to use this as a replacement for roof beams but the termites have a heck of time eating this, I have one long bench made out of it and some parts of our home are made of this but I see they eventually get into the wood.

__________________


I am not a regulated immigration adviser. I am offering an opinion and not advice. Check here for professional help with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration PBI https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration or Philippine Retirement Authority PRA for an SRRV Visa https://pra.gov.ph/contact/ Always stay alert and don't let your guard down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 27th July 2019, 04:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 895
Rep Power: 119
bigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to all
712 likes received
800 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Yep definitely Mark, I see this with the less expensive furniture here, better quality like teak or nara wood are not touched, not sure what the roof trusses and battens (timber) in our house are but never been touched. In Oz we use treated pine for internal walls, or steel frames and good quality hardwoods for decking etc. All my decks in Oz have been cypress pine and the termites won't go near it (apparently a natural insecticide in the wood that appears last until it rots) but not seen that for sale here. Steel is great but not for us here with all the salt air, many of the locals here have steel gates and they advise that painting every 2 or 3 years is not an economical way to go, most have replaced steel grills, gates etc with stainless steel and that seems to work, termites love neither.

Mark, as for your furniture and house for that matter, do you have pest control guys dealing with the problem or simply spray? I ask this as our guys that have been involved with termite eradication have been toiling for near 3 months including digging nests, removing queens and kings and spraying, a plethora of baited traps refilled weekly both in and outside the house though looking like fortnightly now and nothing has changed, still rampant.

Interestingly in a previous post we (me and members) talked about Eco wood that we used for our ceilings, we have 20 plus sticks and many offcuts left, we placed a small off cut next to the baited trap in the studio (where we store all our junk and things that won't fit in the house) some 2 months ago and it has never been touched. Seems Eco wood works but not sure what sizes are available apart from 1 and a half x 2 inches if you wanted to use that material for your new roof.
Here, we watch and wait then pounce, keeps me off the streets.

Cheers, Steve.


Last edited by bigpearl; 27th July 2019 at 04:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 27th July 2019, 07:46 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Banos Laguna
Posts: 2,667
Rep Power: 284
M.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond repute
2137 likes received
6749 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Insecticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
Mark, as for your furniture and house for that matter, do you have pest control guys dealing with the problem or simply spray? I ask this as our guys that have been involved with termite eradication have been toiling for near 3 months including digging nests, removing queens and kings and spraying, a plethora of baited traps refilled weekly both in and outside the house though looking like fortnightly now and nothing has changed, still rampant.

Interestingly in a previous post we (me and members) talked about Eco wood that we used for our ceilings, we have 20 plus sticks and many offcuts left, we placed a small off cut next to the baited trap in the studio (where we store all our junk and things that won't fit in the house) some 2 months ago and it has never been touched. Seems Eco wood works but not sure what sizes are available apart from 1 and a half x 2 inches if you wanted to use that material for your new roof.
Here, we watch and wait then pounce, keeps me off the streets.
I take my one wall unit outside it's light and completely clean it free and find all the area's that have been eaten out and spray Baygon and another cheap Chinese brand, top to bottom every spot and it appears they come back.

I'm not familiar with Eco wood but I've had plywood pieces in storage areas and they usually don't get touched but what happens is the termites just attack something and they never stop because there are so many of them, they fly in during the evening hours usually a couple days after it rains and take hold of vulnerable spots.

__________________


I am not a regulated immigration adviser. I am offering an opinion and not advice. Check here for professional help with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration PBI https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration or Philippine Retirement Authority PRA for an SRRV Visa https://pra.gov.ph/contact/ Always stay alert and don't let your guard down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 28th July 2019, 01:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 895
Rep Power: 119
bigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to allbigpearl is a name known to all
712 likes received
800 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Interesting the plywood comment Mark. The three bedrooms in the house have plywood ceilings and have or don't appear to have been touched, (perhaps decent hardwood ply) the main living areas, hallways and laundry never had a ceiling hence previous posts Ecowood and cement sheet for new ceilings and insulation.
We have a detached studio next to the house, some 40M2 and while concrete foundations, piers and beams and very solid the builder/owner chose to infill the walls with Ecowood then lined the inside with ply and the outside with split bamboo, it does look good but short term only it appears.
Onto plywood, as said in the main house not touched, studio, the termites appear to have moved through the building methodically "inch by inch, row by row" as Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie sung.
Some of the ply is solid as a rock and other areas you can push your finger through, walls and ceilings alike, they ate all the softwood in the ply, the Ecowood it appears if kept dry/out of the weather they won't touch it but if exposed to rain then it is up for grabs.
We will eventually remove the timber walls, block and render.

The flying ants/termites, we see that here as well as Australia and probably all other countries and something I should look into with regards to the king and queen setting up house, more research, lol.
I have to say that I notice both here and Oz the "flying" termites are different in size to the crafty b*ggers that live it the ground, double the size or more and the tend to die once landed and their wings fall. Something to look into and ponder.
There are various electronic insect repellers, even snake repellers, they do work (snakes) from personal experience but have never come across such a beast for termites. I'm all ears if some one has an up on that one. Enough rambling for now.

Cheers, Steve.
Nickleback99 and digitalchic like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 28th July 2019, 09:08 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Banos Laguna
Posts: 2,667
Rep Power: 284
M.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond reputeM.C.A. has a reputation beyond repute
2137 likes received
6749 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Thick Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
Interesting the plywood comment Mark. The three bedrooms in the house have plywood ceilings and have or don't appear to have been touched, (perhaps decent hardwood ply) the main living areas, hallways and laundry never had a ceiling hence previous posts Ecowood and cement sheet for new ceilings and insulation.
We have a detached studio next to the house, some 40M2 and while concrete foundations, piers and beams and very solid the builder/owner chose to infill the walls with Ecowood then lined the inside with ply and the outside with split bamboo, it does look good but short term only it appears.
Onto plywood, as said in the main house not touched, studio, the termites appear to have moved through the building methodically "inch by inch, row by row" as Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie sung.
Some of the ply is solid as a rock and other areas you can push your finger through, walls and ceilings alike, they ate all the softwood in the ply, the Ecowood it appears if kept dry/out of the weather they won't touch it but if exposed to rain then it is up for grabs.
We will eventually remove the timber walls, block and render.

The flying ants/termites, we see that here as well as Australia and probably all other countries and something I should look into with regards to the king and queen setting up house, more research, lol.
I have to say that I notice both here and Oz the "flying" termites are different in size to the crafty b*ggers that live it the ground, double the size or more and the tend to die once landed and their wings fall. Something to look into and ponder.
There are various electronic insect repellers, even snake repellers, they do work (snakes) from personal experience but have never come across such a beast for termites. I'm all ears if some one has an up on that one. Enough rambling for now.

Cheers, Steve.
Steve my other huge wall unit made out of the thick plywood... they're finally attacking it on one side, I also noticed the soft spots, it's been through a 3 month flood back in 2014 and we had it built in 2008.
Nickleback99 and digitalchic like this.

__________________


I am not a regulated immigration adviser. I am offering an opinion and not advice. Check here for professional help with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration PBI https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration or Philippine Retirement Authority PRA for an SRRV Visa https://pra.gov.ph/contact/ Always stay alert and don't let your guard down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2019, 01:22 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Tagaytay
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 0
digitalchic is on a distinguished road
23 likes received
45 likes given

Default

Thanks for creating this thread. I am learning a lot. I have termites and molds in Tagaytay. They quoted me unbelievable cost for the termites extraction. 14K is way cheaper, mine was 55k for a 3 bedroom house and I don't trust they will do the work very well. T_T

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.