Canadian government warns against travel in southern Philippines

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum

Philippines Expat Forum The Philippines Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Philippines their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Philippines to meet and discuss all aspects to their new way of life.

Like Tree27Likes

Canadian government warns against travel in southern Philippines


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 9th May 2019, 02:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Cebu
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 0
Tim_L is on a distinguished road
59 likes received
141 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Canadian government warns against travel in southern Philippines

The Canadian Government has urged against travel to parts of the southern Philippines due to a serious threat of terrorism and kidnapping.

Canadians have been urged to avoid all travel to Western and Central Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea, including the waters south of Palawan.
Be careful out there!!


The advice, issued today (Wednesday, May 8), says this is “due to the serious threat of terrorist attacks, kidnapping, high levels of criminality, and violent clashes between the military/police and terrorist or rebel groups”.

It also highlights the risk of piracy in the waters south of Palawan island.

The Canadian government issues “avoid all travel” advisories only when it determines that there is an, “extreme risk to your personal safety and security”. As a result, it says: “You should not travel to this country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.”

The “avoid all travel” advisory covers the following provinces:

Basilan
Cotabato
Lanao del Norte
Lanao del Sur
Maguindanao
Misamis Occidental
North Cotabato
Sarangani
South Cotabato
Sultan Kudarat
Sulu
Tawi-Tawi
Zamboanga del Norte
Zamboanga del Sur
Zamboanga Sibugay

Furthermore, the government is advising that Canadians should avoid all “non-essential travel” to Eastern Mindanao, for the same reasons given above.

However, the advisory does note that conditions in Eastern Mindanao are more stable than in Western Mindanao. “Non essential travel” means that there, “are specific safety and security concerns that could put you at risk”. As a result, tourists should determine whether they need to be in the country. If not, they should consider leaving while it is still safe to do so.

The “avoid non-essential travel” advisory covers the following provinces:

Agusan del Norte
Agusan del Sur
Bukidnon
Camiguin
Compostela Valley
Davao del Norte
Davao del Sur
Davao Occidental
Davao Oriental
Dinagat Islands
Misamis Oriental
Surigao del Norte
Surigao del Sur

https://philippineslifestyle.com/can...ndanao-travel/
M.C.A. and JRB__NW like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 9th May 2019, 02:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: florida
Posts: 343
Rep Power: 63
greenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of light
237 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

I lived on Mindanao island just north of Davao city for a year. I never felt unsafe there. I used common sense and never wondered around at night. Even in day time I stayed with crowds of people. Never went down back streets by myself. I never did this even in my own city in the USA. Common sense goes along ways.

art
Coppyboy, bigpearl, Tim_L and 1 others like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 9th May 2019, 03:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Cebu
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 0
Tim_L is on a distinguished road
59 likes received
141 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

I agree Art, common sense goes a very long way.
Coppyboy and Rwestgate like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 9th May 2019, 06:19 PM
Rwestgate's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 0
Rwestgate is on a distinguished road
29 likes received
30 likes given

Default

I feel safer in Zamboanga Del Norte than I do in major US cities

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 12:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Cebu
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 0
Tim_L is on a distinguished road
59 likes received
141 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwestgate View Post
I feel safer in Zamboanga Del Norte than I do in major US cities
Really? I’ve never been there as that has been on the US warning list for a couple of years now.
bigpearl likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 12:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: florida
Posts: 343
Rep Power: 63
greenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of lightgreenstreak1946 is a glorious beacon of light
237 likes received
3 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

hey Tim L

it depends on where in Zamboanga Del Norte you are at. Dipolog is the capital of Zamboanga. That area is not bad. the main thing is be far away from Marawi city as possible in Del Norte. Just don't flash wealth, don't go out at night, stay with groups of people in day time and etc. Just like my other post. Use common sense.

Also the government is going to issue warnings for the whole region for their liability stand point.

art
Tim_L and Rwestgate like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 01:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Cebu
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 0
Tim_L is on a distinguished road
59 likes received
141 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak1946 View Post
hey Tim L

it depends on where in Zamboanga Del Norte you are at. Dipolog is the capital of Zamboanga. That area is not bad. the main thing is be far away from Marawi city as possible in Del Norte. Just don't flash wealth, don't go out at night, stay with groups of people in day time and etc. Just like my other post. Use common sense.

Also the government is going to issue warnings for the whole region for their liability stand point.

art
Hey Art,
Thank you for that. I think that I’ll stick to Cebu and points north. No sense tempting fate. Hahaha
M.C.A. likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 11:47 AM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,596
Rep Power: 207
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1249 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_L View Post
The Canadian Government has urged against travel to parts of the southern Philippines due to a serious threat of terrorism and kidnapping.

Canadians have been urged to avoid all travel to Western and Central Mindanao and the southern Sulu Sea, including the waters south of Palawan.
Be careful out there!!


The advice, issued today (Wednesday, May 8), says this is “due to the serious threat of terrorist attacks, kidnapping, high levels of criminality, and violent clashes between the military/police and terrorist or rebel groups”.

It also highlights the risk of piracy in the waters south of Palawan island.

The Canadian government issues “avoid all travel” advisories only when it determines that there is an, “extreme risk to your personal safety and security”. As a result, it says: “You should not travel to this country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.”

The “avoid all travel” advisory covers the following provinces:

Basilan
Cotabato
Lanao del Norte
Lanao del Sur
Maguindanao
Misamis Occidental
North Cotabato
Sarangani
South Cotabato
Sultan Kudarat
Sulu
Tawi-Tawi
Zamboanga del Norte
Zamboanga del Sur
Zamboanga Sibugay

Furthermore, the government is advising that Canadians should avoid all “non-essential travel” to Eastern Mindanao, for the same reasons given above.

However, the advisory does note that conditions in Eastern Mindanao are more stable than in Western Mindanao. “Non essential travel” means that there, “are specific safety and security concerns that could put you at risk”. As a result, tourists should determine whether they need to be in the country. If not, they should consider leaving while it is still safe to do so.

The “avoid non-essential travel” advisory covers the following provinces:

Agusan del Norte
Agusan del Sur
Bukidnon
Camiguin
Compostela Valley
Davao del Norte
Davao del Sur
Davao Occidental
Davao Oriental
Dinagat Islands
Misamis Oriental
Surigao del Norte
Surigao del Sur

https://philippineslifestyle.com/can...ndanao-travel/
I lived in agusan del norte and del sur,scarey to see this
M.C.A. and Tim_L like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 12:31 PM
Rwestgate's Avatar
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 0
Rwestgate is on a distinguished road
29 likes received
30 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefties43332 View Post
I lived in agusan del norte and del sur,scarey to see this
I was in Sindangan (80km) south of Dipolog throughout April, saw a few soldiers, a couple more manned checkpoints etc ... still felt safer than Detroit, Chicago, or New York , as others have said, common sense is key

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10th May 2019, 12:36 PM
lefties43332's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: everywhere philippines..pundakit na
Posts: 1,596
Rep Power: 207
lefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the roughlefties43332 is a jewel in the rough
1249 likes received
147 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwestgate View Post
I was in Sindangan (80km) south of Dipolog throughout April, saw a few soldiers, a couple more manned checkpoints etc ... still felt safer than Detroit, Chicago, or New York , as others have said, common sense is key
all think that until they disappear. I know many many pilipinos who are from Mindanao who say don't go there. I loved living there but again,maybe I was lucky.
M.C.A., JRB__NW, Tim_L and 1 others like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Ancestry marrying Southern Irish citizen living in Uk Neonitrix Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 4 10th August 2015 07:19 PM
Canadian Government Pensions reportable on 1040? whistlerexpat Expat Tax 1 20th November 2013 01:35 PM
U.S. Government Shutdown Likely to Begin October 1, 2013: Anticipated/Actual Impacts BBCWatcher USA Expat Forum for Expats Living in the USA 6 5th October 2013 11:40 AM
UK travel industry warns of potentially aggressive flight price increases on long hau Editor Britain Expat Forum for Expats Living in the UK 0 4th June 2010 08:00 AM
Canadian travel advice? Jen77 Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 1 3rd January 2009 08:18 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.