Air Conditioning - Page 3

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum

Philippines Expat Forum The Philippines Expats Forum is dedicated those individuals that have chosen to make Philippines their new home. This forum is an ideal place for Expats now living in Philippines to meet and discuss all aspects to their new way of life.

Like Tree61Likes

Air Conditioning - Page 3


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 02:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,355
Rep Power: 160
bigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to behold
1090 likes received
1237 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak1946 View Post
yeah you are right Gary D. Only the split units. I have never seen a house with ac duct work installed there. I have been to a lot of new subdivisions like Camella homes and never saw central units like in the USA. Also, I am sure the cost is sky rocketing to cool whole house there.

Art
Ducted A/C is available in the Philippines if you are prepared to pay the costs of these beasts as opposed to reduced installation and running costs of split systems single and multiple heads, wall/window mounts for smaller areas. My neighbour up the road has ducted A/C throughout his mansion on the beach, PHP 1.5M then a further 1.5M for a solar system to negate the running costs through the day. Up to 3 million pesos to cool your house? Some people have too much money and his electricity bill is still more than ours.

Even if I ran all our A/C units, wall and split day in day out my bill would/could be 10K per month, that's 120K per year, let's say 150K per year, do the sums for 20 years on. Cool only what you need, reduce purchase and running costs.

The other thing I will add is for the last 8 or 9 years being back and forward here is I realised I was a soft c*ck and needed to acclimatise, Already from a semi tropical locale in Oz am manning up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
Rwestgate likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 02:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,355
Rep Power: 160
bigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to behold
1090 likes received
1237 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
I think the problem is there's no reel insulation here. We have the 10mm foil backed foam against the underside of the roof sheets. I would think the effectiveness is minimal at best. For it to half work you would need to force ventilate the roof space. I will be laying the foam on the ceilings as well once the shops are open, it's only going the be a couple of hundren dollars to do the whole house, saying that that's probably more than most of the neighbours spend on their whole roof. We have some sofit venting but to my way of thinking not sufficient, but I think until I can force some air flow the roof space is going to be well into the 40s. Mind you the water storage tank gets nice and warm.
Gary, Spend some more dollars on decent insulation, R3.0 batts at the minimum (that was the best I could find here), Higher outlay initially but you will recoup the costs over the years with reduced running costs. Our mother country (England) boasts central heating (radiators or floor heating) open and closed fire places (combustion stoves, pot belly stoves) and the winner has to be double glazing, a sad affair here as it doubles the cost for some inexplicable reason with building costs, Filipino consumption market appears be 30 years behind, construction methods also lack. Definitely not hanging on this fine country but there are opportunities for eco and efficient designs/construction methods available and not necessarily at higher costs.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 02:54 AM
Gary D's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hermosa Bataan
Posts: 1,845
Rep Power: 229
Gary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud of
1687 likes received
359 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
Gary, Spend some more dollars on decent insulation, R3.0 batts at the minimum (that was the best I could find here), Higher outlay initially but you will recoup the costs over the years with reduced running costs. Our mother country (England) boasts central heating (radiators or floor heating) open and closed fire places (combustion stoves, pot belly stoves) and the winner has to be double glazing, a sad affair here as it doubles the cost for some inexplicable reason with building costs, Filipino consumption market appears be 30 years behind, construction methods also lack. Definitely not hanging on this fine country but there are opportunities for eco and efficient designs/construction methods available and not necessarily at higher costs.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
Ahh but if your grandad did it that way. A lot of the more modern materials when available they don't seem to be able to use properly or of a two component solution only one part is available.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 03:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,355
Rep Power: 160
bigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to behold
1090 likes received
1237 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
Ahh but if your grandad did it that way. A lot of the more modern materials when available they don't seem to be able to use properly or of a two component solution only one part is available.
While I never met my grandad/s I certainly listened to my father. If you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves. We plan, take risks when viable but never waste and focus on the future unlike my landing spot here in the Philipines, slowly slowly.

Cheers, Steve.

Oh and as my dear old Dad taught me, penny wise, pound foolish. Research.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 03:09 AM
Gary D's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hermosa Bataan
Posts: 1,845
Rep Power: 229
Gary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud of
1687 likes received
359 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

We just spent 500k on our new roof, it's got the Spanish effect look, works really well but the ridge caps are crap, you have to cut the profile over the tile with tin snipes. They made such a mess of the first lenght we made them stol and find someone who could do it neatly, the second guy was better but not by much. A bit more thought by the manufacturer would have gone a long way. We visited their plant and they were rolling to lenght from massive rolls of pre finished sheet, some serious investment but ridge caps looked like an after thought.

I bought an antenna distribution amp from Manila, obviously Chinese made. The F type connectors are very slightly bigger than the local fittings so they supply a set of adaptors,the trouble is the local cable diameter is too small to push over the adapter.
M.C.A. likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 03:14 AM
Gary D's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hermosa Bataan
Posts: 1,845
Rep Power: 229
Gary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud ofGary D has much to be proud of
1687 likes received
359 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
While I never met my grandad/s I certainly listened to my father. If you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves. We plan, take risks when viable but never waste and focus on the future unlike my landing spot here in the Philipines, slowly slowly.

Cheers, Steve.

Oh and as my dear old Dad taught me, penny wise, pound foolish. Research.
I was thinking more they do thing like their father and his father before. Learning new ways is not in their nature and will ultimately resort to bodging it.
bigpearl likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 03:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,355
Rep Power: 160
bigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to behold
1090 likes received
1237 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
I was thinking more they do thing like their father and his father before. Learning new ways is not in their nature and will ultimately resort to bodging it.
As we have leant to do here.

Cheers, Steve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 05:27 AM
hogrider's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Davao
Posts: 581
Rep Power: 221
hogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of light
392 likes received
398 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
We just spent 500k on our new roof, it's got the Spanish effect look, works really well but the ridge caps are crap, you have to cut the profile over the tile with tin snipes. They made such a mess of the first lenght we made them stol and find someone who could do it neatly, the second guy was better but not by much. A bit more thought by the manufacturer would have gone a long way. We visited their plant and they were rolling to lenght from massive rolls of pre finished sheet, some serious investment but ridge caps looked like an after thought.

I bought an antenna distribution amp from Manila, obviously Chinese made. The F type connectors are very slightly bigger than the local fittings so they supply a set of adaptors,the trouble is the local cable diameter is too small to push over the adapter.
Wow must have been a large roof Gary. The roof I had installed on my Beach house was 140 sqm, and I pad P70K.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 13th May 2020, 05:34 AM
hogrider's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Davao
Posts: 581
Rep Power: 221
hogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of lighthogrider is a glorious beacon of light
392 likes received
398 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpearl View Post
Ducted A/C is available in the Philippines if you are prepared to pay the costs of these beasts as opposed to reduced installation and running costs of split systems single and multiple heads, wall/window mounts for smaller areas. My neighbour up the road has ducted A/C throughout his mansion on the beach, PHP 1.5M then a further 1.5M for a solar system to negate the running costs through the day. Up to 3 million pesos to cool your house? Some people have too much money and his electricity bill is still more than ours.

Even if I ran all our A/C units, wall and split day in day out my bill would/could be 10K per month, that's 120K per year, let's say 150K per year, do the sums for 20 years on. Cool only what you need, reduce purchase and running costs.

The other thing I will add is for the last 8 or 9 years being back and forward here is I realised I was a soft c*ck and needed to acclimatise, Already from a semi tropical locale in Oz am manning up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
There is another system becoming popular here, Centralised air con. It is basically, a split unit system, with indoor units in the areas that need cooling, but only one large outdoor unit to handle the total load. I did consider this when installing my system but decided against it on the grounds that if the OD unit were to fail, I'd lose cooling in the whole house. Of course it's possible to install 2 OD units, one as a back up, but the cost goes up of course.
bigpearl likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 14th May 2020, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,355
Rep Power: 160
bigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to beholdbigpearl is a splendid one to behold
1090 likes received
1237 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from australia. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrider View Post
Wow must have been a large roof Gary. The roof I had installed on my Beach house was 140 sqm, and I pad P70K.
Wow Dave that was cheap, I have been getting quotes for .6mm (24#) coloured roof deck and it is the same price as Australia retail @ $14.00 or PHP 462.00 PerM2. While I have no idea why it's the same cost as Oz given this countries economy and cheap labour costs it is what it is. We have about 300M2 with extensions and replace existing roof so roughly PHP 140K just for the roof iron before flashings, gutters, fixings and of course the big one labour. As a plumber for over 40 years the labour costs are generally the same as the material costs.
I would be keen to get your suppliers info and if they operate in Luzon. All in all well done on securing a great price.

Cheers, Steve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air conditioning service ThomasC Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 1 19th August 2014 03:52 PM
Air Conditioning dubaisky Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 0 1st May 2011 01:42 PM
Air Conditioning EgyptianSwirl Egypt Expat Forum for Expats Living in Egypt 6 12th March 2010 08:47 PM
Air Conditioning Humming Bird Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 1 13th April 2009 04:52 PM
Air conditioning maryos Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 1 3rd June 2008 12:18 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.