China Psychiatry

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Other Asia

Other Asia Please post here for anywhere in Asia which doesn't have a dedicated forum.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HKG3
  • 1 Post By Zhongshan Billy

China Psychiatry


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 7th August 2017, 05:26 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
jcraw999 is on a distinguished road

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in china.
Question China Psychiatry

Hello!

I'm looking to move to China and was wondering how easy it is to get a prescription for psychiatric medication there? I am manic depressive and require meds.

Thanks,
Jay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 8th August 2017, 03:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zhongshan, China
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 0
Zhongshan Billy is on a distinguished road
11 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in china.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraw999 View Post
Hello!

I'm looking to move to China and was wondering how easy it is to get a prescription for psychiatric medication there? I am manic depressive and require meds.

Thanks,
Jay
Unless you speak fluent Chinese then you will first need to find a Doctor in that field that speaks very good English.

That is not easy to find here. I have been visiting hospital here for past two years and have only found an ocassional nurse who does.

i would suggest that you bring the packaging with you as a doctor may recognise it.

they do have a lot of western drugs available.

Zhongshan Billy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 8th August 2017, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 675
Rep Power: 0
HKG3 is on a distinguished road
98 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from hong_kong. Users Flag! Expat in uk.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraw999 View Post
Hello!

I'm looking to move to China and was wondering how easy it is to get a prescription for psychiatric medication there? I am manic depressive and require meds.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay,

Are you moving to somewhere in China that is close to Hong Kong? If this is the case, you can try and see a doctor in Hong Kong. Some doctors in Hong Kong were trained in the UK, so they should have a better level of English language skills than doctors in China.

The link below gives you a list of medical doctors registered with the Hong Kong General Medical Council and their qualifications are also listed. You can tell which doctor studied in English speaking countries -

https://www.mchk.org.hk/english/list...ist.php?type=L

On the first page, I manages to find doctors who got their medical degrees from Dundee (Dund), Liverpool (Lpool) , Edinburgh (Edin) and London (Lond) Universities. I would think these doctors can deal with English speaking patients.
canadabound2013 likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 9th August 2017, 02:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zhongshan, China
Posts: 165
Rep Power: 0
Zhongshan Billy is on a distinguished road
11 likes received
2 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in china.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG3 View Post
Jay,

Are you moving to somewhere in China that is close to Hong Kong? If this is the case, you can try and see a doctor in Hong Kong. Some doctors in Hong Kong were trained in the UK, so they should have a better level of English language skills than doctors in China.

The link below gives you a list of medical doctors registered with the Hong Kong General Medical Council and their qualifications are also listed. You can tell which doctor studied in English speaking countries -

https://www.mchk.org.hk/english/list...ist.php?type=L

On the first page, I manages to find doctors who got their medical degrees from Dundee (Dund), Liverpool (Lpool) , Edinburgh (Edin) and London (Lond) Universities. I would think these doctors can deal with English speaking patients.
Remember that if you go to Hong Kong ensure you have an unused entry on your visa as you will need it to get back into China.

University of Hong Kong also have a hospital in Shenzhen and they have English speaking doctors. Some from Hong Kong. They also operate a dedicated English speaking telephone appointment service,

Zhongshan Billy
canadabound2013 likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 7th September 2019, 05:24 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
canadabound2013 is on a distinguished road
22 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in china.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhongshan Billy View Post
Remember that if you go to Hong Kong ensure you have an unused entry on your visa as you will need it to get back into China.

University of Hong Kong also have a hospital in Shenzhen and they have English speaking doctors. Some from Hong Kong. They also operate a dedicated English speaking telephone appointment service,

Zhongshan Billy
Thank you for the useful information about using University of Hong Kong's hospital for additional care for rx.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Tags
health

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting an emergency psychiatry appt in Paris jbflux France Expat Forum for Expats Living in France 4 27th March 2013 05:19 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.