Rental Properties

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand

New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand Have you moved to New Zealand from another country? Or are you thinking about making New Zealand your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss Real Estate, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to New Zealand?

Rental Properties


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th December 2013, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 0
brand180208 is on a distinguished road
2 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default Rental Properties

Hello

We wanted to find a rental property before coming over in a few weeks (we have people who would vet the property before signing on the dotted line) but no estate agents will get back to us?
Is this a common thing

It doesn't help that we want to buy our Daughter a cat (unfortunately this was promised before looking into things) so it wipes out potentially 98% of the houses & the other 2% we don't like the look of

We have said about putting into contracts that carpets will be professionally cleaned and we would give the Landlord a one off fee as a thank you to allow pets - again the estate agents won't contact us back

I'm just worried, as I don't want to be weeks looking around when we arrive & then try to find my daughter a school

Or am I being too optimistic that this can be achieved, when half way around the world?!?! Lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13th December 2013, 08:01 AM
topcat83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miranda, NZ
Posts: 3,134
Rep Power: 2023
topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
276 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand180208 View Post
Hello

We wanted to find a rental property before coming over in a few weeks (we have people who would vet the property before signing on the dotted line) but no estate agents will get back to us?
Is this a common thing

It doesn't help that we want to buy our Daughter a cat (unfortunately this was promised before looking into things) so it wipes out potentially 98% of the houses & the other 2% we don't like the look of

We have said about putting into contracts that carpets will be professionally cleaned and we would give the Landlord a one off fee as a thank you to allow pets - again the estate agents won't contact us back

I'm just worried, as I don't want to be weeks looking around when we arrive & then try to find my daughter a school

Or am I being too optimistic that this can be achieved, when half way around the world?!?! Lol
I think I'd start negotiations with your daughter!

After saying that, my son has just moved into a rental accommodation in Howick that accepted the cat that he'd inherited from his previous house mates.

Being in the country will help too - the rental agents will see that you don't have two heads

__________________
Top Cat
www.arttel.co.nz
Our online diary of life in New Zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13th December 2013, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auckland
Posts: 219
Rep Power: 807
kiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond repute
24 likes received
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

I assume you don't have a cat at present, so you could get the rental and then consider the cat. An older one that is house trained from the rescue centre may be the best option. Is the cat a surrogate friend, your daughter may not be so interested once she meets other children?

Most importantly, you will wish to travel round your new country, a pet can be a real pain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13th December 2013, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Auckland
Posts: 219
Rep Power: 807
kiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond reputekiwigser has a reputation beyond repute
24 likes received
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Just a thought, try Angela and Hamish at Barfoot and Thompson in Howick. I can recommend them

Howick Branch | Barfoot & Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rental properties in New Zealand Lsung New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand 10 31st October 2013 01:56 PM
Looking for rental properties Ellie engwi's Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 3 10th February 2012 11:44 AM
Applying for Rental properties benjiross Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 5 2nd May 2010 06:38 AM
Rental Properties markfuengirola Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 8 8th October 2009 11:10 AM
Rental Properties cully45 Canada Expat Forum for Expats Living in Canada 1 19th July 2009 09:01 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.