Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/)
-   New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/new-zealand-expat-forum-expats-living-new-zealand/)
-   -   Moving to NZ (https://www.expatforum.com/expats/new-zealand-expat-forum-expats-living-new-zealand/196794-moving-nz.html)

Lynn COLLETT 4th September 2013 01:27 PM

Moving to NZ
Hi I am new here and hoping to get some help and and advice.
I am currently in Kent, my daughter and son in law moved out 18 months ago, he is a Kiwi. I have decided to take the plunge and my house is on the market. I have a St Bernard that I would like to take with me, any help with that one would be great
I have never been to NZ so I have no idea what it is like other than photos. I am 55 years old and will need to work when I get out there. I have a landscaping business here and I will have to sell it and would love to start another one on NZ. I suppose I am nervous because I feel if I sell everything in the UK and I don't like it I would not be able to afford to come back.
Any help and advice?

toadsurfer 4th September 2013 09:15 PM

Do you have a visa?

Lynn COLLETT 4th September 2013 09:19 PM

No I do not have a visa yet.

toadsurfer 4th September 2013 09:22 PM

Maybe wait till you have a visa confirmed before you sell your house??

escapedtonz 4th September 2013 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lynn COLLETT (Post 1614665)
No I do not have a visa yet.

Which visa do you propose to apply for ?

topcat83 5th September 2013 01:59 PM

Hi Lynn
The guys have a point. Even with a daughter and son in law in New Zealand you won't be able to move out there without a visa.
You'll be able to get a 6 month visitor's visa - but not a residents visa.
Your son-in-law and daughter should be able to sponsor you - but even that visa may take a while to come through (and is probably best done while you are out of NZ).
See Family categories

escapedtonz 5th September 2013 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are the problems I foresee :-

To be eligible to apply for residency under the family stream - as the parent of an NZ Resident or Citizen, your adult child and sponsor (who I assume has secured NZ Residency or Permanent Residency due to being married to an NZ citizen), must have been a Resident in NZ for at least 3 years to meet the eligibility to be a sponsor and as you stated she has only been there 18 months!

I doubt your son-in-law can be classed as your adult child and sponsor so with that you would have to wait another 18 months until your daughter becomes eligible to sponsor you.....assuming INZ don't move the goal posts in the mean time!!!

I'd say your only other option is to get a visa on your own merit if you are eligible.

Immigration New Zealand

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.