moving to NZ what to bring

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Australasia & the Pacific Islands > New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand

New Zealand Expat Forum for Expats Living in New Zealand Have you moved to New Zealand from another country? Or are you thinking about making New Zealand your new home? Want to meet others like you and discuss Real Estate, sport, socialising, food, cars, insurance, laws, taxes and anything related to New Zealand?

Like Tree1Likes

moving to NZ what to bring


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
mia5 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
1 likes given

Default moving to NZ what to bring

Hi can any one give me advice on what to bring over to NZ with us when we emigrate . We have a container sorted but also can't decide if to store our things in England for a few months until we are sorted . What extras would you put in your suit case ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 08:36 AM
topcat83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miranda, NZ
Posts: 3,134
Rep Power: 2023
topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
276 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia5 View Post
Hi can any one give me advice on what to bring over to NZ with us when we emigrate . We have a container sorted but also can't decide if to store our things in England for a few months until we are sorted . What extras would you put in your suit case ?
A bit of advice that was given to us and really works!

Go to B&Q and get some of those short multiplug extension leads - the ones where you put one plug in the socket and it gives you five to plug appliances into.

When you get here, change the plug to a NZ one and you can continue to use your UK appliances.

__________________
Top Cat
www.arttel.co.nz
Our online diary of life in New Zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 09:09 AM
escapedtonz's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 4,692
Rep Power: 374
escapedtonz will become famous soon enoughescapedtonz will become famous soon enough
835 likes received
21 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia5 View Post
Hi can any one give me advice on what to bring over to NZ with us when we emigrate . We have a container sorted but also can't decide if to store our things in England for a few months until we are sorted . What extras would you put in your suit case ?
Make sure you fill it with everything you could possibly want (apart from perishables and aerosols).
New clothes, shoes etc
Bedding, cutlery and furnishings
Electronics, kitchenware etc
Furniture
Gardening stuff especially power stuff like a lawnmower
Tools and power tools.
Sports equipment and clothing.
Etc etc.

All these items are expensive in NZ so if you have the option to buy anything at a bargain price to put in the container it means in the long run you will be saving as you won't need to pay an arm and a leg for the same thing here.

Although, don't keep anything in its original packaging so it looks new.
Everything that you ship must have been owned by you for 12 months to avoid GST of 15%.
If your shipment gets inspected by customs there is a chance that items that look new may be considered a new import and if you can't prove you've owned them for 12 months, customs could charge you 15% of their value in tax.

Cheers

__________________
EOI submitted Jan 2010. ITA Jan 2010. ITA submitted Apr 2010. RV approved June 2011. Passports stickered and back to us Aug 2011. Secured job Dec 2011. Arrived Mar 2012. PRV Mar 2014......now eligible for citizenship but at $1175 Yeah but Nah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
mia5 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
1 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat83 View Post
A bit of advice that was given to us and really works!

Go to B&Q and get some of those short multiplug extension leads - the ones where you put one plug in the socket and it gives you five to plug appliances into.

When you get here, change the plug to a NZ one and you can continue to use your UK appliances.
Thanks topcat we have loads of those so I will Defo put those in the container

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
mia5 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
1 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post

Make sure you fill it with everything you could possibly want (apart from perishables and aerosols).
New clothes, shoes etc
Bedding, cutlery and furnishings
Electronics, kitchenware etc
Furniture
Gardening stuff especially power stuff like a lawnmower
Tools and power tools.
Sports equipment and clothing.
Etc etc.

All these items are expensive in NZ so if you have the option to buy anything at a bargain price to put in the container it means in the long run you will be saving as you won't need to pay an arm and a leg for the same thing here.

Although, don't keep anything in its original packaging so it looks new.
Everything that you ship must have been owned by you for 12 months to avoid GST of 15%.
If your shipment gets inspected by customs there is a chance that items that look new may be considered a new import and if you can't prove you've owned them for 12 months, customs could charge you 15% of their value in tax.

Cheers
Thanks , I did think about buy loads to bring with us . Is there anything you wishes you hadn't brought with you ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 06:05 PM
topcat83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miranda, NZ
Posts: 3,134
Rep Power: 2023
topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
276 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Defo bring a front loading washing machine. They are much more expensive over here! (most people have top loaders)

Oh - and rawlplugs.

And if you want a leather sofa that's an unusual colour - put that in too. We had a light grey one that wore out last year, and there was nowhere near the choice of colours to replace it. Ended up with dark grey. I can understand why - there is a much smaller customer base and it has to be shipped in - but it was very frustrating!

__________________
Top Cat
www.arttel.co.nz
Our online diary of life in New Zealand

Last edited by topcat83; 8th June 2013 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
mia5 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
1 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat83 View Post
Defo bring a front loading washing machine. They are much more expensive over here! (most people have top loaders)

Oh - and rawlplugs.

And if you want a leather sofa that's an unusual colour - put that in too. We had a light grey one that wore out last year, and there was nowhere near the choice of colours to replace it. Ended up with dark grey. I can understand why - there is a much smaller customer base and it has to be shipped in - but it was very frustrating!
Thanks , I need a new washing machine so I was wearing out the old one , so maybe I will have to buy one . Why rawplugs ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Auckland
Posts: 713
Rep Power: 0
Liam(at)Large is on a distinguished road
49 likes received
1 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Don't bring your washing machine. UK washing machines are inefficient compared to either the top loaders or front loaders available here and are different sizes, so, if you buy/rent a place with a standard space for washer/dryer it won't fit... I just helped my BiL who does appliance repair dispose if a UK import set that didn't fit in the home the pair bought in Torbay. Also, warranties are tough to impossible to claim on and repairs can be stupid expensive. Just invest in a good Fisher & Paykel set when you get here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 8th June 2013, 11:15 PM
topcat83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Miranda, NZ
Posts: 3,134
Rep Power: 2023
topcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond reputetopcat83 has a reputation beyond repute
276 likes received
208 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from england. Users Flag! Expat in newzealand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam(at)Large View Post
Don't bring your washing machine. UK washing machines are inefficient compared to either the top loaders or front loaders available here and are different sizes, so, if you buy/rent a place with a standard space for washer/dryer it won't fit... I just helped my BiL who does appliance repair dispose if a UK import set that didn't fit in the home the pair bought in Torbay. Also, warranties are tough to impossible to claim on and repairs can be stupid expensive. Just invest in a good Fisher & Paykel set when you get here.
Sorry - disagree with the efficiency point - we've found our UK bought AEG Electrolux just as effective than the top loaders we've used occasionally. Plus they are much more efficient on water usage.

However, I've been doing some price comparisons Currys & Noel Leeming for Samsungs and it looks like the price differential has come down. (see SAMSUNG Washing machines - Cheap SAMSUNG Washing machines Deals | Currys and Samsung - Front Load Washing Machines - Noel Leeming - New Zealand?s leading appliance, computer, gaming and whiteware store)

You will not get the choice of models though - at Noel Leeming there are a total of 8 front-loaders (4 of which are Samsung), where in Currys there are 109.

__________________
Top Cat
www.arttel.co.nz
Our online diary of life in New Zealand

Last edited by topcat83; 9th June 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 9th June 2013, 12:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
mia5 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received
1 likes given

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat83 View Post
Sorry - disagree with the efficiency point - we've found our UK bought AEG Electrolux just as effective than the top loaders we've used occasionally. Plus they are much more efficient on water usage.

However, I've been doing some price comparisons Currys & Noel Leeming for Samsungs and it looks like the price differential has come down. (see SAMSUNG Washing machines - Cheap SAMSUNG Washing machines Deals | Currys and Samsung - Front Load Washing Machines - Noel Leeming - New Zealand?s leading appliance, computer, gaming and whiteware store)

You will not get the choice of models though - at Noel Leeming there are a total of 8 front-loaders (4 of which are Samsung), where in Currys there are 109.
Thanks i'll look into it , my friend is the manager of one of the currys stores i'll ask her and maybe get a deal . The Only thing is the warranty cover :/ it won't cover the other side of the world .


Last edited by topcat83; 9th June 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving to Querétaro from US...what to bring? MissKT Mexico Expat Forum for Expats Living in Mexico 18 18th April 2013 06:33 PM
Moving from Oz to Dubai what shall I bring? wardliz Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 14 4th May 2012 07:10 AM
What to bring????? Moving to dubai Greeneyessyd Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 6 1st July 2011 08:47 AM
family of 9 moving from US to AU what to bring? momof7 Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 2 30th September 2010 05:31 PM
moving to Atsugi; what to bring? villanelle Japan Expat Forum for Expats Living in Japan 6 3rd February 2010 03:53 AM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.