What is the best VPN to use in the Philippines with a UK server?

Go Back   Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad > Asia > Philippines Expat Forum > Mabuhay Club Corner

Mabuhay Club Corner This new forum is for socialising, networking and off topic discussions for all members either living in or moving to the Philippines.

Like Tree9Likes

What is the best VPN to use in the Philippines with a UK server?


Reply
 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16th October 2015, 04:06 AM
pagbati's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iloilo
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 121
pagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to behold
219 likes received
51 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default What is the best VPN to use in the Philippines with a UK server?

We’ve just received the latest expat newsletter which had a VyprVPN advertisement feature at the top of the list, quote, “To start off this month, we have a great offer for our community to Download VyprVPN for Free, and get 50% off your first month just for being an ExpatForum member! What a deal!” unquote.

Can’t say we’re too impressed with 50% off the first month but more importantly, why aren’t VyprVPN making it clear what their costs are after the free trial/ after the first month? Shouldn’t this be easy to find on the company website? It must be there somewhere but we couldn’t find it; all we saw was the click box for 'Try it free' which we obviously didn’t click. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn To find out what the real costs are, we had to do more research on the Internet. When a company’s price list is hard to find on their website, that usually sends off warning bells.

We already have a VPN that we pay for but it’s been a tad ‘hit and miss’ recently so we would consider moving to a more reliable product, hence the Expat Forum Ad caught our attention. By the way, we tend to avoid free versions as they often have too many restrictions/ limitations. The main aspect for us is that any VPN should have multiple server locations with a reliable UK server being the most important. We should also be able to use at least two devices at the same time. We do not need secure online storage.

What other VPN’s do members recommend using in the Philippines that have a reliable server in UK and what are the monthly/ annual subscriptions? No need to list free VPN’s for the reasons mentioned above. Thanks.

__________________
Never argue with a fool; people might not know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16th October 2015, 04:23 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UAE
Posts: 6,640
Rep Power: 46105
Stevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond repute
2533 likes received
1288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Hi,
Watchuktv is a reliable provider with a published price list on their website.
Regarding multiple devices - you can get routers that have a VPN function embedded - then you can enter VPN details in the router and all devices working off that will automatically be on the VPN.
Cheers
Steve
allanfield likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16th October 2015, 05:44 AM
pagbati's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iloilo
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 121
pagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to behold
219 likes received
51 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Steve, many thanks for that. Could you please provide me with a direct link to the website that you’re referring to as there appears to be a few using the term ‘watchuktv’. Thanks.
allanfield likes this.

__________________
Never argue with a fool; people might not know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16th October 2015, 05:58 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UAE
Posts: 6,640
Rep Power: 46105
Stevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond reputeStevesolar has a reputation beyond repute
2533 likes received
1288 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrouk View Post
Steve, many thanks for that. Could you please provide me with a direct link to the website that you’re referring to as there appears to be a few using the term ‘watchuktv’. Thanks.
https://watchuktv.co.uk
allanfield likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16th November 2015, 10:46 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: paranaque
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
brownie71 is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from uk. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

i use vyprvpn here in Manila to watch netflix and I think its great! never had a problem with it and could very well be the fastest vpn around. I pay $10/mo which is billed anually and can use it for 3 devices simultaneously. i think cheapest is $6.60/mo for one device. It works with all my devices Mac and Windows. If you click free trial, you will see the different rates and yes, i did try it out for free at the start.
allanfield likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 17th November 2015, 01:13 AM
pagbati's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iloilo
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 121
pagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to behold
219 likes received
51 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default Best VPN's with UK Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie71 View Post
i use vyprvpn here in Manila to watch netflix and I think its great! never had a problem with it and could very well be the fastest vpn around. I pay $10/mo which is billed anually and can use it for 3 devices simultaneously. i think cheapest is $6.60/mo for one device. It works with all my devices Mac and Windows. If you click free trial, you will see the different rates and yes, i did try it out for free at the start.
Brownie 71, thanks for that info. With regards to pricing, we use PIA and they’re always coming up with offers. For example, their price for 12 months is $83.40 (billed annually) but their current offer for 12 months is $39.95; that’s a really good offer, which works out at ($3.33 pcm). It includes being able to use 5 devices simultaneously and its good on both Mac and Windows too. They have an efficient ‘chat line’ so free support is available 24/7. Since submitting my original post on 16 Oct., we’ve had fewer problems with it.

We don’t watch Netflix; to be honest, when we have had access to it, we’ve always been disappointed with the content. But we do watch BBC iPlayer and we know they’ve recently taken action to try and prevent people watching via VPN’s, even for those residing in UK. I suspect, therefore, that any problems we encounter are as a result of BBC 'blocking' action as opposed to our VPN. With regard to speed, I’m not sure we would be better off with vyprvpn as it also depends on the local Internet speed. Our internet speed won’t allow us to stream iPlayer live so we tend to download the programmes we want for viewing later; with a little bit of planning, that works well enough.

Our current VPN subscription for PIA is set to expire at the end of the year so we still have about 6-weeks left to decide on whether to move or not. Right now, PIA’s doing fine and compared with other providers, we like their pricing structure and support. I hear what you say that you’ve had a great experience with vyprvpn so far; we hope it continues. In our experience, very often one doesn't really find out how good a service is until something goes wrong.

To repeat what I said in my original post, “When a company’s price list is hard to find on their website, that usually sends off warning bells”. IMHO, not being able to see the different rates until you click ‘Free Trial’ smacks of fishiness and with so many scams online these days, it’s just not an open way of doing business. A rhetorical question, “If a company can’t be transparent with its pricing policy, how can it be trusted with anything else?” As I said earlier, I appreciate your input and I’m glad to hear you’ve had no problems so far with vyprvpn; long may it continue. It's good to hear your positive comments.
allanfield likes this.

__________________
Never argue with a fool; people might not know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 17th November 2015, 02:19 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0
Blacklogic is on a distinguished road
1 likes received

Users Flag! Originally from canada. Users Flag! Expat in uae.
Default

try VPNLand
allanfield likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 17th November 2015, 04:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Subic Freeport Zone
Posts: 1,065
Rep Power: 219
jon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond reputejon1 has a reputation beyond repute
1249 likes received
431 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrouk View Post
We’ve just received the latest expat newsletter which had a VyprVPN advertisement feature at the top of the list, quote, “To start off this month, we have a great offer for our community to Download VyprVPN for Free, and get 50% off your first month just for being an ExpatForum member! What a deal!” unquote.

Can’t say we’re too impressed with 50% off the first month but more importantly, why aren’t VyprVPN making it clear what their costs are after the free trial/ after the first month? Shouldn’t this be easy to find on the company website? It must be there somewhere but we couldn’t find it; all we saw was the click box for 'Try it free' which we obviously didn’t click. https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn To find out what the real costs are, we had to do more research on the Internet. When a company’s price list is hard to find on their website, that usually sends off warning bells.

We already have a VPN that we pay for but it’s been a tad ‘hit and miss’ recently so we would consider moving to a more reliable product, hence the Expat Forum Ad caught our attention. By the way, we tend to avoid free versions as they often have too many restrictions/ limitations. The main aspect for us is that any VPN should have multiple server locations with a reliable UK server being the most important. We should also be able to use at least two devices at the same time. We do not need secure online storage.

What other VPN’s do members recommend using in the Philippines that have a reliable server in UK and what are the monthly/ annual subscriptions? No need to list free VPN’s for the reasons mentioned above. Thanks.
I have been using RapidIPTV for my Internet TV. It currently has about 130 UK channels and 60 VIP UK channels for 15Eu/mo. I have been using Private Internet Access VPN with good success but may switch to VyprVPN when my subscription expires. I am also contemplating setting up my own VPN Servers (1 in US or UK and one in my home) to avoid the blockage of VPN Provider IP blocks, an ongoing war with the IPTV/VPN providers.
pagbati likes this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18th November 2015, 02:37 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: still here
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
petew2oz is on a distinguished road
9 likes received
4 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from scotland. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

tor its free and there is and android version to

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 18th November 2015, 01:50 PM
pagbati's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iloilo
Posts: 214
Rep Power: 121
pagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to beholdpagbati is a splendid one to behold
219 likes received
51 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from ireland. Users Flag! Expat in philippines.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1 View Post
I have been using RapidIPTV for my Internet TV. It currently has about 130 UK channels and 60 VIP UK channels for 15Eu/mo. I have been using Private Internet Access VPN with good success but may switch to VyprVPN when my subscription expires. I am also contemplating setting up my own VPN Servers (1 in US or UK and one in my home) to avoid the blockage of VPN Provider IP blocks, an ongoing war with the IPTV/VPN providers.
jon1, thanks for that. When you're viewing RapidIPTV, are you streaming live and if so, isn't it dependent upon a decent internet speed?

__________________
Never argue with a fool; people might not know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Expat From Country
Please select the country you originate from. This will appear as a flag when you make posts on the site.
Expat To Country
Please select the country you have either moved to or want to relocate to. This will be presented on the site when you make posts.

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SkillSelect 500 Server Error idreamofoz Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 6 6th December 2014 01:59 AM
Proxy Server for iPad GallineraGirl Spain Expat Forum for Expats Living in Spain 9 28th June 2013 11:17 AM
What is Du's Proxy Server? berryracer Dubai Expat Forum for Expats Living in Dubai 3 9th March 2013 04:47 AM
Server 500? tschaudry Australia Expat Forum for Expats Living in Australia 0 25th November 2012 08:31 PM

FORUM PARTNERS

ExpatForum.com is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc.

Retiring Overseas Guides | Moving Overseas Guides | Cost of Living | Health Care Guides


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.